Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Sat, December 18th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Bacon King

XPerties is on a distinguished road
Default Possible to change the set alternator output voltage?

As we know 04+ and up alternator output are controlled by the PCM but correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't it be easy to change this during a custom tune tuning?

F150 05 5.4 XLT, Nitto 295/70/17, Dual Flowmaster, Gryphon w/ Custom Tunes
K&N CAI, HBS 2 1/2 Level Kit, Blackout Heads w/ 8K HID's, Tinted Tails & 3rd Light w/ LED's
Old Sat, December 18th, 2010, 03:06 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPerties View Post
As we know 04+ and up alternator output are controlled by the PCM but correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't it be easy to change this during a custom tune tuning?
If in fact, it is controlled by the PCM, I'd think you would be right. But this is the first I've heard of the PCM controlling the voltage of the alternator. Where did you learn this? It really sounds counter-intuitive to me. Voltage regulated alternators are pretty simple, and I don't see the advantage of adding another layer of complexity in the charging circuit.

Now, monitoring the alternator voltage is an entirely different matter and I'd expect the PCM to do that so that it could warn if a charging defect occurred.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, December 18th, 2010, 05:02 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Jack,

I was just having a discussion this morning with a friend of mine. He and his girlfriend are driving to Las Vegas right now for a vacation. The battery light on her 08 Suburban came on along with a message saying "Service Charging System". I've worked on a ton of these things before I quit working for Big Brother Motors....and yes, the charging system IS integrated into a separate module (and oftentimes PCM). It's more complicated than it has to be, but the auto manufacturers have to justify the added sticker price somehow!

Long story short, the alternator is still charging at 14.5 volts, but it is only a fail-safe mode. Typically, the battery and charging system control module will run a lower voltage if there aren't any loads running to reduce engine drag and help prevent over-charging. But internally regulated alternators have been doing a superb job of running accessories and keeping the battery "topped off" for how long now with no issues? Oh yeah...about forever.
Old Sat, December 18th, 2010, 05:44 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I love it! It ain't broke, so let's fix it!

So, I guess if Bill (or you) have access to the code that controls that aspect, you guys could change it. But now, I have to come back and ask XPerties, why? And, I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ here, just trying to understand what you are trying to accomplish with a change in this feature. As far as I can tell, the system does a pretty good job of keeping the battery near a full charge state without "boiling" it.

- Jack
Old Sun, December 19th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Bacon King

Ive spent the last 2 months upgrading some things and recently got my second high output alternator (first one was from powerbastards and was a nightmare). I have a 270amp from Mechman and after spending weeks reading on many car audio forums I was interested in getting a stable 14.8 - 15.2 reading. This helps for many other aspects including amps/audio.

A high recommended company Ford Modules sells modules but they run around $100-$150 and I figured since the PCM is controlled the output during the tuning maybe it could be changed.

Missing Link Audio - Voltage Control Module - Battery Voltage & Charging - Mini Truckin' Magazine

K&N CAI, HBS 2 1/2 Level Kit, Blackout Heads w/ 8K HID's, Tinted Tails & 3rd Light w/ LED's
Old Sun, December 19th, 2010, 01:07 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

That would be a question for Bill.
Old Sun, December 19th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Bacon King

Default For Bill Specifically - Possible to change the set alternator output voltage

Ive spent the last 2 months upgrading some things and recently got my second high output alternator (first one was from powerbastards and was a nightmare). I have a 270amp from Mechman and after spending weeks reading on many car audio forums I was interested in getting a stable 14.8 - 15.2 reading. This helps for many other aspects including amps/audio.

A high recommended company Ford Modules sells modules but they run around $100-$150 and I figured since the PCM is controlled the output during the tuning maybe it could be changed.

Missing Link Audio - Voltage Control Module - Battery Voltage & Charging - Mini Truckin' Magazine

....sooooo Bill do you think this would be possible to do?

Old Sun, December 19th, 2010, 03:33 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Merged and moved. I will let Bill know to look here.