Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Thu, February 9th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Double Whopper

eej711 is on a distinguished road
Default Bigger tires, shifts into OD later

I moved up from 31" tires to 33" tires and my truck shifted at 41mph into overdrive but then when i go the bigger tires it shifts at 46mph now. I changed the tire size to 2654mm if i'm remembering correctly to put in what the new tire size is. Is it normal for it to shift later?
Old Fri, February 10th, 2012, 08:16 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by eej711 View Post
I moved up from 31" tires to 33" tires and my truck shifted at 41mph into overdrive but then when i go the bigger tires it shifts at 46mph now. I changed the tire size to 2654mm if i'm remembering correctly to put in what the new tire size is. Is it normal for it to shift later?
Yes. By installing larger tires, you've essentially reduced the rear axle ratio (Gear Ratio). The engine load is higher, so the shift up has to occur at a higher speed.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, February 10th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Yes. By installing larger tires, you've essentially reduced the rear axle ratio (Gear Ratio). The engine load is higher, so the shift up has to occur at a higher speed.

- Jack
Ok thanks, should i change my gear ratio on the tuner or leave it since i have 3.55 gears on the truck? sorry if thats a stupid question.
Old Fri, February 10th, 2012, 10:12 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by eej711 View Post
Ok thanks, should i change my gear ratio on the tuner or leave it since i have 3.55 gears on the truck? sorry if thats a stupid question.
No, it's not stupid at all. You should make sure the programmer has your actual 3.55 GR set in. The only thing you should change is the Tire Size to match what you have mounted now. You'd like to get the speedometer and odometer reading correctly.

Larger tires MAY hurt your gas mileage, since your engine actually has to work harder just to maintain a set speed. And, your acceleration will suffer too, since the larger tires reduce the effective gearing. But, you gain ground clearance and you probably like the look better, so that's what really matters.

- Jack
Old Fri, February 10th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
No, it's not stupid at all. You should make sure the programmer has your actual 3.55 GR set in. The only thing you should change is the Tire Size to match what you have mounted now. You'd like to get the speedometer and odometer reading correctly.

Larger tires MAY hurt your gas mileage, since your engine actually has to work harder just to maintain a set speed. And, your acceleration will suffer too, since the larger tires reduce the effective gearing. But, you gain ground clearance and you probably like the look better, so that's what really matters.

- Jack
Thanks, just one more question and i should be good. I did change the tire size on the programmer so does that fix the odometer and speedometer on the truck itself so they aren't off? And ya i expected the mpgs to go down a little but i love the look way much better, I feel like a kid on christmas everytime i look at them
Old Sat, February 11th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

as long as you have the right tire size and gear ratio your speedometer on the gryphon will read accurate, the mechanical dash speedo will almost always be slightly high but the odometer will be correct.
Old Sat, February 11th, 2012, 02:41 PM
PHP Groupie

^^^ What he said! ^^^. You're good to go.

- Jack
Old Sun, February 12th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Double Whopper

Thanks for the help