Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, March 28th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Whopper Junior

blkstallion is on a distinguished road
Default Gryphon maybe messed up?

Hello, so i bought my gryphon almost a year ago and have had no problems at all! I do have just one small question, i was using my trucks stereo at a bonfire the other night and my battery had died on me and when i tired to start it not thinking about it but on my gryphon my hex code flashed at me like when i first installed the chip. also the battery wouldn't stay on long enough to put my setting back to stock so i could jump it so i just unplugged it and plugged it back in after letting my truck run and shut off to reinstall it. everything seems to be working ok just seems like it doesn't have quite the "kick" it had prior to this happening and my mpg seems to be doing piss poor. but i have been able to changes the power levels just fine with no issues. but my question is did i maybe screw anything up or not? any input would make me less worried because this thing is fantastic and i would hate to mess it up.
Thanks Jared
Old Wed, March 28th, 2012, 10:24 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Jared, it sounds like the Gryphon is fine. If your battery dies, there's no reason at all to reset the truck's tune to stock. Just unplug the Gryphon before jump-starting the truck (to minimize any chance of damage due to voltage surges) and then you can plug it back in once the engine has started (it can be plugged in with the engine running, just don't try to tune it with the engine running).

Now, if you can change the tunes, there's nothing wrong with the Gryphon. I cannot explain why the truck seems less "powerful" though. Possibly, the dead battery has caused it to reset to the "stock" throttle position mapping. (You still have the same power, it's just that you have to press the pedal down further to get it. If this is the case, the PCM may "relearn" the throttle opening rate you prefer.)

That may also explain what seems to be low gas mileage too. Are you using the MPG readout on the Gryphon or are you calculating it using gallons to fill the tank and miles driven? And, during the tune switching, are you sure you have the correct settings for Gear Ratio and Tire Size? An error in those can effect shift points and mileage readouts.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, March 29th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Whopper Junior

blkstallion is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jack that is a ton of help to me and I'm glad to hear that, and its also good to know about the jump starting deal i was just always under the impression that you had to set it back to stock but better safe then sorry i guess.
But i normally do all my mpg stuff hand calculated and once i started playing with it again it seems to be doing a little better my tire size was just a hair off so that could maybe have a little to do with it but probabaly not really haha.

thanks again much appreciated, this site and company is Awesome!