Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Wed, September 19th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Double Whopper

NITEMARE07 is on a distinguished road
Default transmission options

So I've been pondering on one simple thought lately. Why is it that you cannot get a manual transmission in an f-150 anymore? I know late 90's they were putting them in either 4 or 6 cylinder trucks and possibly v8's but why not now? At least i dont think that was an option when i purchased my 07 f-150. If it were i would've went with that. Cost of production too high? Maybe demand too low? Anybody have any insight?
Old Wed, September 19th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

I think they had them as late as 08, I think the demand just wasn't there.
Old Thu, September 20th, 2012, 07:06 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

There are three reasons auto manufacturers no longer offer manual transmission offerings:

1. Emissions are easier to control when the driver is out of the equation.

2. Warranty claims are reduced because let's face it...some people shouldn't drive PERIOD...let alone drive a manual transmission-equipped car.

3. Demand is low. Have you ever noticed that the latest model years of trucks had "clunkier" manual transmissions than even the 70's-80's offerings? The newest 6-speed transmissions were absolutely MISERABLE to drive and they were made that way ON PURPOSE to turn off potential manual-transmission buyers and get them into the more expensive (and dare I say, "communistic") automatic transmission option.

By offering ONLY automatic transmissions, the driver is almost completely out of the equation (only really decides what direction the vehicle moves) and vehicle reliability is higher. The latest automatic offerings are stronger than the manual transmissions they replaced, they are easier to drive, and by God, if they don't perform better in all situations than a manual........

Besides, it's hard to program in torque reduction with a manual. Less broken parts equals fewer trips to the dealership for warranty repair. I was a die-hard manual transmission fan (first driving experience since everything on the ranch was a 60's-70's beater and my first four pickups were manuals) until I bought my second 7.3L truck. I won't own another manual transmission. Automatics just do EVERYTHING better and I'm not "less of a man" just because I know that automatics are better.
Old Thu, September 20th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Double Whopper

I figured someone would know something on this topic. I was the same way. Started off on manual for years then moved into automatic. The automatic by far takes a lot of driver error out of the equation but i loved the feeling of being in "control" myself. As you said too you cant exactly tweak torque control with a manual either. Thankfully me and my wife purchased a 2011 mustang gt 5.0 this year with the 6 speed and that quenches my cravings for a manual trans. I just always assumed that manual gave you more torque and power because of the lack of 10 million clutches.
Old Thu, September 20th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Grown-up in training!

Besides the "in control" aspect, a manual claims better gas mileage... But it isn't much anymore. We got a "Manumatic" 2013 mustang and it is almost like having a manual if you treat it that way, but i almost always use it in automatic mode. Has anyone Tested mileage difference?
Old Fri, September 21st, 2012, 07:59 AM
Double Whopper

Our Mustang gets 24 mpg with about 80% hwy and 20% city. And thats not hotroding it. That occured with two tanks.
Old Fri, September 21st, 2012, 08:16 AM
Grown-up in training!

My lie o meter said I got about 23-24 on my last trip to San Antonio, cruise control on for my half, my wife didn't use it at all and the mileage dropped for her half. Is yours a manual?
Old Fri, September 21st, 2012, 10:22 AM
Double Whopper

Yeah it's the six speed. General rule of thumb when i shift it for economy i keep the rpm below 2k. Anything over that the mileage goes down. We've been wanting a programmer for it but haven't been able to scrap up the money due to medical bills. So far all we have done is stick in some flowmasters. Love the car! It was a steal cause it was slightly used (under 2500 miles). I would one day like to have a turbo stuffed under the hood. Have you seen any of the videos of the new gen mustangs with a "loping idle" tune? Sounds pretty awesome but not sure what it does performance wise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-03-27_11-13-35_894.jpg (31.4 KB, 4 views)
Old Fri, September 21st, 2012, 12:05 PM
Grown-up in training!

Bill will sell you an SCT, that is what I have and I got it from PHP. He can't do custom tunes for the 5.0 though. All I have heard about the lope idle is that it does nothing for performance, and it sounds like crap many times. I think there are a few youtube vids on it them, one even with a dyno run and the lope idle.
Old Fri, September 21st, 2012, 07:07 PM
Double Whopper

That's what I was worried about. So how do you like the SCT. Seems to be a common programmer amongst Mustang owners. Does it slam you back in the seat?