Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Upgrade your Evo

Upgrade your Evo Upgrade your Edge Evolution to a Gryphon Programmer to allow for custom tuning and additional functionality.

Due to issues with the cable failures due to incompatible versions of firmware, we do not offer upgrades
or tuning for the 1997-2003 F-Series gas or 7.3L diesel trucks. We recommend using another platform.

Old Wed, April 21st, 2010, 12:18 PM
Whopper

AZFXFOUR is on a distinguished road
Default Custom tunes+ CAI = Lean??? Help

So I got my Gryphon last week and finally got around to putting on my CAI so I could run my custom tunes. After going for a test drive I checked my DTCs it was still showing a lean condition. My truck is an 04. I thought the whole reason for getting the custom tunes was to fix this lean condition when running my CAI?? I drove the truck around for about ten minutes and this lean DTC showed up about 4 times. On another note im not sure about the shift strategy that Bill set me up with, I really liked the trans only edge setting that I had before. Now it seems that my if I get on my truck hard it falls on its face after every shift.
Old Wed, April 21st, 2010, 12:37 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Kyle,

First thing... please double check that the MAF sensor is not installed backwards. The arrow should be pointing in the direction of the airflow, towards the throttle body. I just ask because it can cause the symptoms you've described. Also check and make sure the are no air leaks in the tubing/boots as this can cause erratic MAF readings and a subsequent lean condition.

If that's all good, then I can make some minor changes to the MAF structure to help resolve the lean condition. It's just unusual as the changes we've made should be working just fine.

As to the shifting, if the MAF sensor is not reading correctly, the load calculations will be inaccurate and this will severely affect shifting. Again, if the intake setup looks cool, we can make some adjustments to correct the shifting.

Thanks.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, April 21st, 2010, 12:45 PM
Whopper

Bill,

I can triple check the MAF sensor but Im 99.9% sure its correct as I double checked it when I put it in. I did drive it to work last night (24miles round trip) with out any lean DTCs but I just drove it normally and tried not to get on it. Is there a chance that because it was the first time I drove it with the new tunes and intake that it just needed some time to adjust everything? I will drive it to work again tonight and see if I can get it to come back again. Other than that issue and the shifting im happy with everything so far. Got 17mpg on the way home last night I know your extremely busy and I dont want to seem ungrateful but if you could adjust the shifts that would be gr8! Thanks
Old Wed, April 21st, 2010, 12:56 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I'll go another 1.5-2% on the MAF and change the shifting a touch. That should get you straight.

I'll hit you back when it's ready.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Wed, April 21st, 2010, 12:57 PM
Whopper

Thanks Bill. I havent had a chance to try my tow tune think its the same deal?
Old Wed, April 21st, 2010, 01:35 PM

Quite possible. The tow tune should be less of a problem because they are already a light bit richer in the tuning. You could certainly give it a spin and see if it responds better.

(678) 890-1110

Old Wed, April 21st, 2010, 02:14 PM
Whopper

Ok I will check it out. Thanks again
Old Thu, April 22nd, 2010, 09:50 AM
Whopper

OK so I drove to work yesterday with the perf. tune still loaded and tried to induce a lean DTC and never got one. Then before I left work last night I loaded the tow tune for the drive home. I was able to induce a lean (bank 1 and 2) DTC with the tow tune loaded. I have to say though, I was much happier with the feel and performance of the Tow tune! It was exactly what I would expect a tow tune to feel like and gave the throttle response that I was hoping to find in the Perf. tune. I could hold my foot in the throttle through the shifts and it never lagged, as opposed to the Perf tune where the power drops out after shifting. I hope this helps explain it for you Bill. I will say that It seems that the lean DTCs only show up if im doing a real hard accel. from a stop or when going very slow (less than 10mph)
Old Sun, April 25th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Whopper

Just wondering what the status on this issue is?