Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Old Wed, July 13th, 2011, 02:09 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all
Default Some peoples' kids (Duramax owners).

I thought you guys might enjoy this. I am doing a set of injectors on an 04 LB7 Duramax for black smoke puffs at idle and a bit of combustion knock.

This is something that I just find really funny. "Hey, y'all! Let's put a 3.5" straight-through muffler on this Duramax to get rid of the restrictive muffler. THEN, we'll bend up this piece of 2.5 pipe to connect it to the original 3.5" tailpipe!"

Old Wed, July 13th, 2011, 02:23 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

HAHA! As long as it sounds cool, who cares?

I need to start taking pictures of homemade exhaust systems....especially when they try and put stacks on.
Old Wed, July 13th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

cj45lc is on a distinguished road

hey that looks like some of my welding...haha

maybe that muffler was a little too free flowing
Old Wed, July 13th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

And I bet they were still saying their truck was the fastest thing on Earth.
Old Thu, July 14th, 2011, 09:28 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Ugh.

This set of injectors is the most "nightmare-ish" set I've ever done. I spent two hours just removing the even bank (driver's side); and that's after I already had the valve cover off. The nozzles were so carbon-ed up that I spent about 20-30 minutes on each one working them out little by little. I had one on the odd bank come out with the injector sleeve, so I had to reseal and reinstall that one (draining most of the coolant into the cylinder and on the floor in the process....I hate that). That's only the second one that I've ever had the sleeve come out (out of the dozens I've done) but it's not a big deal to reseal them. It just takes a 24 hour cure time for the loctite where it seals into the combustion chamber. I was a good bit tired after bending over that long on my knees, so I called it quits at 10:30 last night. I should have it running again later this afternoon. I still have to run to town and use my friend's sand blasting cabinet to clean the corrosion off of the injector feed lines.
Old Thu, July 14th, 2011, 09:50 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Those duramaxes take a little bit of money when those injectors are changed.....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, July 14th, 2011, 10:38 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Those duramaxes take a little bit of money when those injectors are changed.....

Yep, they were my bread and butter for quite a few years.
Old Thu, July 14th, 2011, 10:57 AM
BROKE

Last set I did sounded about the same, but never pulled a sleeve. I even bought the OTC tool to pull the old ones out, and it was still a bear!
Old Thu, July 14th, 2011, 09:50 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Well, it's getting towed to a dealership. Stupid people driving on bad injectors for a year and the carbon that is created on the nozzle.....

I disrupted the loctite seal at the combustion chamber on at least one more injector and I don't have the puller tool. I'm not about to tear into that again and risk screwing up a cup with some hillbilly ingenuity.

Looks like I did the next guy a huge favor....those injectors will pop right out this time!

Oh well, not like I'm out anything except a few hours. Nothing else was waiting in line anyway.
Old Fri, July 15th, 2011, 11:00 AM
BROKE

Damn, that sucks Cody!

Sometimes you can do everything right and something still goes wrong.

Was it leaking coolant into a cylinder?