Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sun, July 22nd, 2012, 10:43 PM
Whopper

4rd4life is on a distinguished road
Help Custom E85 Tunes

I was in the process of ordering a Gryphon and got to the page asking what tunes wanted. In the list was CUSTOM E85 PERFORMANCE and TOW. I have searched this forum with not much luck for more info on the E85 tunes. I have an 08' F150 with the 5.4 Flex. Any one have any info on these 2 tunes. What are the benifets of these tunes.
Old Mon, July 23rd, 2012, 10:21 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rd4life View Post
I was in the process of ordering a Gryphon and got to the page asking what tunes wanted. In the list was CUSTOM E85 PERFORMANCE and TOW. I have searched this forum with not much luck for more info on the E85 tunes. I have an 08' F150 with the 5.4 Flex. Any one have any info on these 2 tunes. What are the benifets of these tunes.
If you use E85 gas, Bill will adjust your tune so that it performs the best it can with that stuff in the tank. In my opinion, unless E85 is VERY much cheaper than real gas, you are better off not using it. It has a much lower energy content than low alcohol blends and will not give you good fuel economy.

The tow tune is customized for the kind of towing YOU do, not a range of tow weights from 500-8000#. Again, if you use E85 gasohol when you tow, the tune should be adjusted for it to get the maximum benefit.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, July 23rd, 2012, 11:52 AM
Whopper

I realize that E85 is less efficeint. I was wondering if either off the E85 tunes would increase the MPG at all. I rarly do any towing but have heard some people have gotten better milage running a tow tune using 87 gas.
Old Mon, July 23rd, 2012, 01:19 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Bill's tunes can be tailored for "efficiency". I got better mileage using the canned 87 tow tune for non-tow driving compared to the stock tune that was built into the truck - but I can't give you "hard" figures, it was too long ago and I did not use the stock tune for very long at all. Bill's tunes improved on the canned tunes by about 0.5 mpg.

However, there are no "guarantees", here. I can only talk about my own experience.

- Jack
Old Mon, July 23rd, 2012, 06:57 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Do not use E85 for anything.....

except at the expense of government subsidy jokes.

E85 is a waste of fuel both for power OR efficiency.
Old Mon, July 23rd, 2012, 09:16 PM
Whopper

So why does PHP offer custom tunes for E85? I would hope it is not just to take someones money!
Old Mon, July 23rd, 2012, 09:24 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Because people raise all kinds of heck when they can't get their E85 tune.
Old Mon, July 23rd, 2012, 09:30 PM
Whopper

I sure would like to hear from those people, get their opinion. Let us know
Old Mon, July 23rd, 2012, 09:47 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Very few people are commoners here, especially the ones with the E85 tunes. You could try F150Online or any of the larger forums. From what I remember, the E85 performance tunes were better than stock but not as good as the 87+ tunes. Their mileage for the performance tunes were definitely worse because of the two fold effect of E85 and heavy throttle.

If you are dead set on an E85 tune for areas where that is all that is available (I've heard the do exist), go for an E85 tow tune as your last ditch resort. Otherwise, I'd leave it alone. Really, alcohol should be avoided anyways. It is a toxin to your body and junk for your engine.

If getting your money was the priority, I'm sure Cody would have toted it is as the best thing since sliced bread. Then you would have spent $30+ on tunes that aren't up to par with other fuel standards.
Old Mon, July 23rd, 2012, 10:00 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Some people think they are doing the Earth a service by burning that garbage and they feel the need to exploit their vehicle's compatibility with it.

Ethanol is good for one thing in high concentrations and it's on the dyno with high compression/turbocharged engines. The detonation resistance is a good feature, but the stoichiometric air/fuel ratio is so ridiculously low that it takes A LOT of fuel to run correctly. Since you have neither a turbocharger or high compression, there would be zero gain from running it (or spending the money on an E85 calibration).

Like Longshot said, if I wanted your money, I'd tell you it was AWESOME!!!!

But it's not.

Ethanol, it's corny. (I stole that from the Cohron family.)