Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Sat, March 20th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Whopper

huffer7.3 is on a distinguished road
Default California Smog Inspection

Just got in the mail registraion for my truck. California now has a law that requires a smog inspection....Does anybody know anything about it? What shops are doing the inspections?

Thanks any info is a help...
Brandon
Banks Intercooler, Brake, Exhaust, Guages(soon to be replaced)
AFE Intake, 38R BB Turbo, Turbo Master Waste Gate control
203 T-Stat Evans Coolant
Oil, Trans & Coolant Bypass Filters, Amsoil
6 Position Chip From Bill
Old Sat, March 20th, 2010, 11:16 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffer7.3;28127got
California now has a law that requires a smog inspection....Does anybody know anything about it?
Brandon

Yeah, it's a revenue machine used for stuffing your state representatives' wallets and giving the EPA and CARB a false sense of purpose.

Sorry, I can't help you with knowing anything about it other than you better have all of the emissions garbage that the truck came with installed or they'll fail you.
Old Sun, March 21st, 2010, 12:31 AM
Whopper

huffer7.3 is on a distinguished road

Yeah that's kind of what I'm seeing. We have a truck that is pretty much stock that I think I will have to swap parts out for the test. I've pulled the intake heater, crankccase vent is on a bypass, differnt turbo, intercooler, intake, exhaust, exhaust brake, fuel system has a cooler on the return line, fuel regulated at 60lbs. I Just wondering how far they care to snoop under the hood. Plus the 6 position from bill. I spent a hour or so searching that it is more of a visual inspection. I believe they do a visual start up test and at a high rpm, looking for smoke.

I am thinking that i may need some advice from Bill. Maybe a tune just for smog to cut down on the smoke. On the 70 race that I run daily it smokes when you step on the throttle. Maybe the fuel sipper? Pull the chip and go stock.

Have to love California right?
Banks Intercooler, Brake, Exhaust, Guages(soon to be replaced)
AFE Intake, 38R BB Turbo, Turbo Master Waste Gate control
203 T-Stat Evans Coolant
Oil, Trans & Coolant Bypass Filters, Amsoil
6 Position Chip From Bill
Old Sun, March 21st, 2010, 01:26 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

That's pretty scary stuff!

The rumor is that they will be testing up here in 2012, but in the meantime they are going to start testing everyone's furnace.
Heck there are already cat converters you can buy for your house if it doesn't pass.

For the gassers it is a visual and tailpipe test. If ANYTHING has been changed on your engine or exhaust (pre-cat) without a CARB # it is an automatic fail, regardless if tailpipe emissions. Explain that!

My question is for our diesels, what if the engine is all stock and fails the tail pipe emission test (NOX), or opacity test, or whatever they do?

There really is nothing you can do about it, there was no emission control devises on there to begin with, less the CCV.

And what about the Dodge guys with the "road draft" system?

Damn eco-****
Ok....rant over.
Old Sun, March 21st, 2010, 08:56 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907dave View Post
without a CARB # it is an automatic fail, regardless if tailpipe emissions. Explain that!
Exactly: CARB

If your company didn't pay the California Air Resources Board enough money for an exemption (basically pay them off to turn a blind eye....) then you will fail.
Old Sun, March 21st, 2010, 04:03 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

epowers777 is on a distinguished road

I live in cali. What I have heard is there is no visual inspection. They scan you r computer make sure theres no codes like overboost etc. then they sniff it. You can blow a certain number and I guess some people here left the chip in on economy and it passed.

A guy posted this on my page on my other question I had but hes in AZ. Call some shops ask ??? and let us know!!!

Here in AZ they do an opacity test. I went through earlier this month and passed with no problems. I left it on my performance tune and blew a 5 out of an allowed 40. The didnt plug into my OBDII port.
Old Sun, March 21st, 2010, 05:53 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

here is the testing manual from CA in PDF... so it lists everything that is pass or fail. The chip is generally hidden so most smog techs that are not well versed on diesel would miss it.... Might be worth using stock or have Bill make a no smoke tune if it fails under stock setting
http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARR...08-09%20V3.pdf
Folks wonder why Banks stuff costs so much, other than all the money he spends on advertizing he pays lots of $$ to CA to get EO numbers for all his products... Not sure about Edge, Bill probably knows more if they have an EO number or not. EDIT: here is EDGE's take on EO numbers Edge Products: Customer Support

Maybe Bill can add more but I am sure as tunes are "Custom" each special tune would probably need an EO number... Oh, my FSR would not require emissions as its over the 14,000GVW... pre 1998 diesels don't require CA emissions testing either
From CA DMV website "Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel-powered vehicles manufactured prior to 1998 or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) rating of more than 14,000 lbs , electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline-powered vehicles 1975 and older. "
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Fri, April 2nd, 2010, 10:48 PM
Double Whopper

gabeyd is on a distinguished road

Can we pass with the chip in (on stock setting I guess), or will the OBD II give some code that says there is a chip, or something else? I was planning on removing mine, but I'm not due until August, so I have some time for all of you to figure out the details for me...

Some say remove the chip, and then you have to drive a certain amount of time, or a certain number of key cycles after removing it to cycle out all the codes? Anyone know what the real story here is?
Old Fri, April 2nd, 2010, 10:55 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

The diesels are much less of a problem in regards to the P1000 problem because they don't have all the Evaporative equipment like gas vehicles do. In most cases, a couple key cycles will clear that right out. Also, we recommend switching to stock or a low HP program (25 Tow, for example) and you should pass just fine. Other than that, the chip doesn't leave any tell-tale codes unless you're getting Overboost, Intake Heater, or ICP codes which can easily be cleared by disconnecting the batteries for a few minutes. If you have a scan-tool, it's that much easier to keep tabs on that sort of stuff.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, April 3rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

fifity is on a distinguished road

So if the phoenix is int he stock position and the tech hooks up an obd scanner, they wont be able to tell the chip is hooked up?

If so then