Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Wed, May 13th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Double Whopper

white eagle is on a distinguished road
Default where to start ????

I was curious where to start my performance upgrades on my truck ?
What I had in mind was a cai of some sort probably K&N and possibly a custom exhaust w/headers
So do I do all of my upgrade I want and then get a programmer or does the order of mods make any difference ?
Old Wed, May 13th, 2009, 07:32 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

As far as CAI's go, you MAY want to look at this first: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...read.php?t=340

Read all the way through it - you'll see there was a bit of trial and error involved before I got the final result. But, it was worth the entire $8.00, more or less, that I paid for it! And, it WILL NOT make your engine run lean!

There's been several discussions on this forum about exhausts. I'm not really in to those, so do a search and see what you come up with. One of our Moderators on the forum, 88racing (Lars) has some good thoughts, so listen to him.

If you do the CAI upgrade that I suggest, you can do it now and get the programmer later. As far as I know, most exhaust mods have little effect on custom tunes, (which might tell you something).

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, May 13th, 2009, 10:52 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Hey there!
Looking to do mods?
The sky is the limit as long as the wallet is full.

As for the cai? Yes and no
Do the mod that Jack posted a link to and take the time and do it Jack's way.
One problem with the 04-05's they came from the factory already running leaner. Add a cai a little leaner yet. Tuner with canned tunes a little leaner yet. So I would start with a tuner bfore any mods are done with the intake unless its the dwv/gotts mod.
Do the basic dwv(like Jack's)mod with an aftermarket drop in air filter(aem).
If you want a cai have your customs written for one. Installed cai after the customs arrive. Good cai's s+b, banks, and volant.

As for exhaust, got a few options and these it doesn't matter if you have customs or not.
How rad do you want to go?
Best system is a cat back si/so 3" in 3" out.
Next best is a cat back si/do 3" in 2x2.5" out.
Go with stainless t304 grade so it won't rust out.
How loud do you want it?
Flowmaster nice mellow sound.(Super 40/44)
Magnaflow nice louder sound.(14")
Gibson same as magnaflow.
Borla a performance quiet sound not as loud as magnaflow but probably the most expensive unless you find it on ebay.(zr1 or stingers)
Let's see who else is there mbrp, bassani, slp, jba, corsa, and many more exhaust mfgs.
There are good systems for the whole spectrum.
If you do LT headers you need a redo on the custom along with high flow cats. If I had to start over again I would definately go with a complete dynatech or jba system from the motor back.

Some other mods are underdrive pulleys and efans. They don't need a tuner unless the idle needs to be bumped up for lack of charge from the altenator at idle.

Last but not least a super charger $$$$.

Hopefully some of this info is helpful.
Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.

Last edited by 88Racing; Thu, May 14th, 2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old Thu, May 14th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Double Whopper

Thanks for the reply's
I have actually checked into the puffer and getting a extra 140 hp at the rear wheels sounds real nice but the 4800 price tag stopped me cold
Old Thu, May 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Double Whopper

Great post on the cai that is what I will be doing when I get time
I cant see any reason to do it differently than you did
Did you notice any gains sound that sort of thing
I see there is 20 pages I only read 2 so I may have missed some of that talk
Old Thu, May 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Ask as many questions as you like sooner or later someone will have an answer for you!

Yah those super chargers's are pricey $$$$$$

Take care

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, May 14th, 2009, 11:39 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
Great post on the cai that is what I will be doing when I get time
I cant see any reason to do it differently than you did
Did you notice any gains sound that sort of thing
I see there is 20 pages I only read 2 so I may have missed some of that talk
Even though it's long, it's worth reading through, just to understand the conclusions we've all come to regarding this inexpensive CAI.

No "noise" problems at all. The truck runs great! Can I feel more power? Not really, but, would YOU feel an additional 8-10 HP at peak output?

All I can really say, is the truck runs smoothly, and I'm not feeling or seeing any adverse effects. Since the intake area has been more than doubled, I don't see how the engine can possibly not breath easier. More air = more fuel and that means more power at WOT, which is the only time this mod has any real effect.

Somehow, it feels "better" to me at WOT than it did. Not more powerful, just "better". That's the best I can do to describe it.

- Jack