Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Thu, April 30th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Member in Sin

SinCityFX4 is on a distinguished road

The 1-2v shift is rarley smooth as it should be regardless of throttle level. The serious shudder issues are always under light-moderate throttle and never at WOT. Honestly I am afraid it will cause an issue so I have not been at WOT for the last few days. It did it again where it shuddered REAL hard from 1-2 at light-moderate throttle coming through a rolling stop at a stop sign. My 10 year old looked over and asked "dad, what the heck was that?"

Flashed back to stock and loaded up my VMP tune. Hopefully I can get answer from Bill. Til then the PHP tune will have to sit on the shelf. I dont have 15k on my truck yet and do not want to shorten the tranny lifespan.
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 09:55 AM
Whopper

my67rt is on a distinguished road

Hey SiCityFX4 I have a 07 F150 4.6 with an AFE CAI and my truck does the same backfiring thing when it is cold in the morning. I was told that it was from being too lean and that Bill would be able to fix it with my custom tune that he is making for me, but now I am nervous. I am staring to think that it is from the AFE brand CAI bc the only people on this site that are having the same problems as we are have an AFE CAI.
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 10:06 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityFX4 View Post
The 1-2v shift is rarley smooth as it should be regardless of throttle level. The serious shudder issues are always under light-moderate throttle and never at WOT. Honestly I am afraid it will cause an issue so I have not been at WOT for the last few days. It did it again where it shuddered REAL hard from 1-2 at light-moderate throttle coming through a rolling stop at a stop sign. My 10 year old looked over and asked "dad, what the heck was that?"

Flashed back to stock and loaded up my VMP tune. Hopefully I can get answer from Bill. Til then the PHP tune will have to sit on the shelf. I dont have 15k on my truck yet and do not want to shorten the tranny lifespan.
AND, if you don't get this behavior at all with Justin's tune, then it DOES point to something that needs adjusting in Bill's tune, doesn't it? I'm sure he can fix it, once he knows it has to be fixed.

- Jack
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 10:20 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Any idea what those numbers mean, Lars? I've never monitored that particular readout.

- Jack
I have posted a thread before on these numbers. But I thought Bill might answer it. So I still remain with ?'s of what the values mean.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 01:50 PM
Member in Sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67rt View Post
Hey SiCityFX4 I have a 07 F150 4.6 with an AFE CAI and my truck does the same backfiring thing when it is cold in the morning. I was told that it was from being too lean and that Bill would be able to fix it with my custom tune that he is making for me, but now I am nervous. I am staring to think that it is from the AFE brand CAI bc the only people on this site that are having the same problems as we are have an AFE CAI.
It has always hesitated if I put any kind of throttle when I first start it up with the VMP/PHP tunes. It has only backfired with PHP's. Just needs some tweakin .....email tuning is an impossibly hard thing to do.

Quote:
AND, if you don't get this behavior at all with Justin's tune, then it DOES point to something that needs adjusting in Bill's tune, doesn't it? I'm sure he can fix it, once he knows it has to be fixed.

- Jack
Sure will...I will try and give em a call and see what we can dig up. Keep ya posted.

P.S.

PHP Rocks

Last edited by SinCityFX4; Fri, May 1st, 2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 02:15 PM
Member in Sin

PHP Out of Office...

Well, I just called the shop and the VM says they are out of the office for medical emegency.

BIll/Corey I hope you and the family are all ok
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 04:32 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Oh crap, I hope so too.

I was beginning to get worried when I didn't see any posts from Corey these past few days, but then Bill showed up today.

Hope Corey's all right. She has a pretty tough road to travel on.

- Jack
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 05:26 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Oh crap, I hope so too.

I was beginning to get worried when I didn't see any posts from Corey these past few days, but then Bill showed up today.

Hope Corey's all right. She has a pretty tough road to travel on.

- Jack
Wonder if her allergies finally got the best of her?

Hopefully everythings ok with everyone.

Lars

Old Mon, May 11th, 2009, 02:19 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityFX4 View Post
Ok, so I changed to monitor some different values. I have hte Gear Comm and TC monitoring along with the RPM's and TFT.

When I get the shudder it is usually in 2nd gear with the TQ converter locked and the TC showing a value of 5. Whatever that is??
Torque Control Mode 5 = Spark Cut for Tip-In Shock Control

Here's the full TC Mode definition list:

00: No Torque Control Requested
01: Fuel Cut for Low Line Pressure
02: Fuel and/or Spark Cut for Traction Control
03: Fuel Cut for Speed Control
04: Fuel Cut for Rev Control
05: Spark Cut for Tip-In Shock Control
06: Fuel Cut for Decel
07: Spark Cut for Transmission Shift Contol
08: Fuel and Spark Cut for Excessive Engine Oil Temp
09: Fuel Cut for Excessive Engine Coolant Temp
10: Disable Current Torque Mode to Prevent Stalling
11: Fuel Cut for Turbo Control
12: Fuel Cut for Anti-Theft
13: Spark Cut for Tip-In Engine Lugging
14: ETC - Electronic Throttle Control only

Keep in mind that only highest priority (lowest number) TC mode takes precedence.

My guess is that what you're feeling might be related to a timing issue. This may also have something to do with the backfiring issue. Let me know which tunes this is occurring on and I'll make some changes to the timing tables which I think should resolve the problem.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, May 11th, 2009, 03:23 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

That would make a great sticky Bill!

Thanks for posting them.

Lars