Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Mon, February 23rd, 2009, 06:59 PM
Double Whopper

Jon Roseman is on a distinguished road
Default Turbo? Supercharger?

I've been modding my truck. Currently I have an Aero 3030 SI/DO, AF1 3" intake, 3" level kit, 18" 10 spoke oem rims with BFG's. I'm looking to turbo or supercharge my truck. I've looked at a couple of superchargers but I found a t3/t4 that will supposeably fit on my 06' 5.4L. Has anyone heard of this turbo and what are you suggestions for turbo or supercharging? Also, should I wait to order my custom tunes until after I get done modding?
Old Mon, February 23rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Roseman View Post
I've been modding my truck. Currently I have an Aero 3030 SI/DO, AF1 3" intake, 3" level kit, 18" 10 spoke oem rims with BFG's. I'm looking to turbo or supercharge my truck. I've looked at a couple of superchargers but I found a t3/t4 that will supposeably fit on my 06' 5.4L. Has anyone heard of this turbo and what are you suggestions for turbo or supercharging? Also, should I wait to order my custom tunes until after I get done modding?
You can certainly order the programmer, but The tunes will be written for your mods. Bill would be in a better position than any of us to tell you the effect of running a custom tune, written for the mods, on a non-modded truck. OR - the effect of running canned tunes (which is what you get when your programmer arrives) on a truck that is in "transition" - going through a "modding" process.

Personally, I'd place the order. Let Bill tell you if it's safe to run a canned tune as mods are added. You can always use it as a monitor in Level 0 (stock tune) if it's not safe.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, February 24th, 2009, 07:51 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

What are you looking for? As far as performance? The best bang for your buck would be the centrifugal type super charger(like procharger). The second would be the twin screw(like magna charger). The third is a roots type(eaton). The turbo? I have seen some but all involved custom fabbing. Don't know of one true kit on the market right now for a turbo app.

If your truck is going to be a daily driver the cf or roots type would be best. They have a no load condition at idle or light throttle kind of like the turbo(this helps fuel economy). I have heard and read more positive comments about these(cf+roots) than anything else out there.
The only difference between a sc and tc is the way they are driven(powered). The sc is belt driven and the tc is exhaust driven.
Bill will be the one to help you out also.
Most kits out come pretty complete: hdwr, gaskets, plugs, injectors, and a flash tuner.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.

Last edited by 88Racing; Tue, February 24th, 2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old Tue, February 24th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Double Whopper

Jon Roseman is on a distinguished road

Ok, I'll have to look into both of them. Thanks for the input! The only thing I'm having trouble with is having the bankroll of a struggling 20 year old college fraternity man. Other than that, the aspiration for a fast daily driven truck is certainly there.
Old Tue, February 24th, 2009, 06:10 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Yah they are quite the investment and even salvage yards know this too! Had an 03 fx4 that I was going to drop a lightning motor in if the price was right. The motor had 10K on it and they wanted $5500 for it.

Ran across a totaled 05 rousch truck last year with the sc in it and asked how much? $7500 for motor+sc with 45K on it. Another $4000 would have gotten me the whole truck. So even in a smashed up truck they are worth something!!!

Lars

PS
Word to the wise. If I were going to do this I would go brand spankin new and have it installed by a certified authorized dealer. Warranty! Then its their but on the line.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.