Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Double Whopper

Dfishrmn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
A lot better than the grey, in my book! Still, I can see it's a little too "warm". I wonder if Ford sells any matching paint? Seems like they should, doesn't it?

There's also this internet source: http://paintscratch.com/ They seem to be able to match any OEM colors and can even account for differences in assembly plant locations. I doubt you'll have any luck finding a color code for your dash (other than some generic thing for "tan"), but maybe if you contact them they'd have some ideas.

Maybe, if you sent them the part of the panel that the headlight switch mounts into, they could mix a color match.

(You can see how "obsessive" I get over things like this, can't you)?

- Jack
I looked at Paint Scratch first but all I can find are exterior colors on their website. The Ford dealer said they don't carry anything for interiors. Other auto paint dealers said they could custom match for about $50 for a 4 oz. can. I can live with this for now, depending on lighting sometimes you can't really see the shade difference. If anybody else out there has sources I think other folks in this situation would appreciate it too.
Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Bacon King

svt2205 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
That's a nice looking interior, Dfishrmn! I can see why you would be unhappy with the grey pod color. I'm going to guess though, that the "texture" of the pod is close to what is in your dash - right? The older, black pods had a texture that was completely different, so even if you got the color close with paint, it still looked wrong (at least on the newer trucks).

Plowing tune? That's definitely one for the Mad Doctor! But, I'd guess some modification of a towing tune. Would you be running the truck in 4WD Low to perform this task?

- Jack
I'll only end up in 4 low if I screw up and bury my truck... again. The plow blocks a ton of airflow from the radiator, so there's potential to run on the warm side. Not sure how it all works, but a tune that offered more low end grunt all while not adding too much more heat to the motor would be great. But I'm the last guy on the planet to have a clue about this stuff.
Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 07:26 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt2205 View Post
I'll only end up in 4 low if I screw up and bury my truck... again. The plow blocks a ton of airflow from the radiator, so there's potential to run on the warm side. Not sure how it all works, but a tune that offered more low end grunt all while not adding too much more heat to the motor would be great. But I'm the last guy on the planet to have a clue about this stuff.
I don't have much of a clue either about plowing! All I know is, I moved several tons of snow from my driveway and walkway when I was stationed in Pennsylvania, then got to move several tons more when the snowplow came by and put up a wall between me and the street! :cry: When we left Pennsylvania, I left my snow shovel as a "housewarming" present for the new owners!

I would have guessed though that 4 low would be the gearing of choice. Again, shows what I know - nothing!

But, I bet Bill can take all these (sometimes conflicting) requirements into account and he'll give you what you need.

You should post some pictures of your rig. Heck, I should do the same!

- Jack
Old Tue, December 30th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Bacon King

This is my truck.

Old Tue, December 30th, 2008, 08:48 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

That's a pretty impressive piece of hardware, Henry! Is it hard to mount on the truck? (Looks a bit heavy to me).

However, it looks to me like it doesn't really block the airflow into the radiator much at all. I suspect any overheating you'd get would be due to running at high RPMs and very low forward speed. Still, you're performing this operation in winter, when the air is cold, so I'd expect things to stay relatively cool.

One thing nice: with the Gryphon you can monitor your Cylinder Head Temp (CHT), Oil Temp and Transmission Fluid Temp (TFT) and you'll get a digital readout that tells you exactly how hot things are getting. I wouldn't even bother with the Coolant Temp. It's not actually measured at all but is inferred from the CHT. Don't be surprised when you see the oil temp go up quickly when the engine is under load. Mine shoots up close to 250 degrees when I'm pulling my trailer up a long incline in a lower gear range, but the CHT stays around 212-214 under those conditions.

- Jack
Old Tue, December 30th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Double Whopper

jerodr is on a distinguished road

That thing is awesome! I'd like to have one here in Texas just to see how people react.
Old Tue, December 30th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light
Sweet truck, Henry! Red is my favorite color...

After growing up on Long Island and living in Utah for 3½ years while Billy worked for Edge, I certainly don't miss that white stuff, though...

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Wed, December 31st, 2008, 05:14 AM
Bacon King

Thanks for the compliments on my truck. It's the second best F150 I've owned so far. My 89 F150 Custom work truck was the best.

This plow isn't heavy compared to other plows. It's a SD (standard duty) Fisher that weighs in just shy of 500 pounds. Fisher's MM2 mount is great. Drive into the pickup points, flip up the lever, push the upper frame into the truck, connect the 3 plugs and lift up the jack post and your set to plow. Sure beats the old days of having to almost climb under some trucks to put in or pull out pins.

My reference to heat comes from the factory outside temp gauge. As I'm sure you know the temp sensor is located on the support post in front of the middle of the radiator. One day when I was paying attention to things, the outside temp was 10. With the plow on and driving down the road, the outside temp sensor indicated it was 48. So, my thought is, we need to pay attention to the amount of added heat performance tuning may give. Heck, as my wife reminds me, I drive like Grandpa Walton, so it's not too often that the revs go very high.

Any chance of another sale?

Time to put the plow on we've got another storm brewing for today.
Old Wed, January 14th, 2009, 11:55 PM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

Screw-Me-05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick View Post
Sweet truck, Henry! Red is my favorite color...

After growing up on Long Island and living in Utah for 3½ years while Billy worked for Edge, I certainly don't miss that white stuff, though...
Where on Long Island? I grew up in East Brentwood and now reside in Fort Lauderdale:sniffle:
Old Sat, February 14th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Bacon King

Well it's finally official, well almost, I just sent my order in for custom tuning for my truck. Can't wait to check it out!!!