Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Thu, March 26th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Double Whopper

MercedesTech is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. And don't worry, truck should be back up and running by late next week at the latest.

Haven't pulled it out, or done anything to it yet. Plan to start looking into the trans today. I will letcha all know if I find anything. Might be staying late and burning some of that midnight oil. Hopefully I still have some laying around somewhere !

For a replacement, I am looking into a reman right now. Problem with brand new is, Ford has a long list of "suggested upgrades" for these trans, but they wont do the upgrade. So I would be replacing it with the same problematic trans. Jasper Trans are reman, come with a 3 year, 100k warranty. Kinda nice. We also have our shop's trans guy. He wants to trade me for a reman thats been beefed up with Ford's "suggested improvements" or whatever. Anyone else know of any place to source upgraded internals ? I don't mind dropping $$$, if I get a bullet proof trans in return (if there is such a thing ! )

Almost tempted to pull everything and go all new drivetrain. Looked into it, to stay legal I have to find an engine from an 04 or newer. Boy would that be nice ! Not likely, but......
_ Mark Twain
Old Thu, March 26th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Double Whopper

OK, called the extended warranty insurance company. They want me to do a full tear down of the trans to source the issue. WASTE OF TIME !!!!

I deal with Mercedes extended warranties weekly, all diffrent insurance companies, never once had to do a tear down. Its simply R&R now a days. Kinda sucks and is going to suck plenty of time out of my weekend. Books gives me 11.5 hours for tear down. Should have it done by 6 hours or so. I better !

Looks like I am going with a Monster Trans. The SS Mega monster trans version. Rated for 600HP. Figure it'll hold with my little motor. Any opinions on this Bill ? Or anyone ?
_ Mark Twain
Old Thu, March 26th, 2009, 05:37 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Seems to me with everything I have heard, seen, or read that Monster has their $hit together. Closest thing on the market to being bullet proof.

Lars

PS Let us know what goodies you find in the pan and how the filter looks.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, March 26th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Double Whopper

Filter looks like crap. TONS of clutch material in it.

Pan had lots of shards of metal, tons of clutch, lots and lots o' junk. I'll go and snap some pics. Its gone. Will barely even move right now, had to push the big POS onto the rack ! Man, was I out of breath ! lol

Glad to hear. I am getting lots of positive feedback about Monster. Thanks Lars.

- James
_ Mark Twain
Old Thu, March 26th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

I dont have any personal experience with the monster trans, but I have also
read real great things about them
Old Thu, March 26th, 2009, 10:49 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesTech View Post
Filter looks like crap. TONS of clutch material in it.

Pan had lots of shards of metal, tons of clutch, lots and lots o' junk. I'll go and snap some pics. Its gone. Will barely even move right now, had to push the big POS onto the rack ! Man, was I out of breath ! lol

Glad to hear. I am getting lots of positive feedback about Monster. Thanks Lars.

- James
She's a lot more torn up than I would have thought!

Post some pics of the goodies in the pan.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, March 27th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Double Whopper

Well, in an effort to give me a hand, Chris (guy I work with) washed the pan out for me while I was under my Sami workin on that. So, no pics, sorry guys.

Also, after doing some thinking, thought it would be best to get the truck in the hands of guys who builds trans for a living. Horgans Transmissions. We have been doing business with them for almost 20 some years now. Good guys. Really know what they are doing. So, I have brought the truck to them. They will do the RDI for me. They have already been talking to me about upgrades they can do, and they want to build me a 4R70W from the ground up. Going to see what they come up with. I'll keep yall updated.
_ Mark Twain
Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Double Whopper

clutches are gone.

No ring and no drum damage.

the 3rd gear was worn purdy good.

Starting to look like it was something in the electronics. Maybe the tunes themself but I don't know about that. I will get it back together, and hook up a gauge to watch the line rise pressure under acceleration. My guess is, the pressure wasn't rising, and was starving my trans of proper lube. Right now I am still not 100% sure what caused failure, but its looking like an electronic issue..... Hopefully will know more by tomorrow or so.
_ Mark Twain