Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Tue, April 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM
Bacon King

svt2205 is on a distinguished road
Default Is It OK???

This past weekend I changed the plugs in my 07. What an ordeal that was with 3 broken plugs. I had my battery disconnected for roughly 24 hours as I removed the trucks PCM and the mounting bracket to gain access to the passenger side rear plugs.

It never occurred to me to swap my tune back to stock. That said, I'm tuned to level 2. If I need to return to stock, did the Gryphon save my stock tune while being disconnected from battery power?

Did I screw up or are the stock files stored safely in flash memory that doesn't require juice to maintain?

Thanks
Old Tue, April 21st, 2009, 06:09 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Everything should be ok. The gryphon still has your stock tune.(Remember you can unplug it if you don't want it to grow legs) The only time that the gryphon can get screwed up on that if its hooked up to pegasus(for updates and tunes) without you returning it to stock. The tune is still in the pcm because it is no different than your stock tune being in there.

Sorry to hear about the misfortune on the 3 plugs. Makes me dread that day even more!

Lars

PS
Jack/Bill/Corey will probably correct me if I am wrong!

When in doubt always put truck back to stock.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, April 21st, 2009, 06:24 PM
Bacon King

svt2205 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the good news. I sort of guessed it would be that way, but wasn't sure.

The plug change was an interesting experience. Stressful but once all the plugs were out it was rather rewarding. But the number of hours involved from start to finish is just plain stupid for a plug change.

Now I've got a slight gas aroma. I'm thinking when I lifted the drives side fuel rail I must have nicked an injector oring. Or at least that's what I hope. I'm going to get some new one's later this week to fix this little issue.

All I can say is get it over with sooner then later. Time will only make it worse.
Old Tue, April 21st, 2009, 06:43 PM
Sex alleviates tension

average-joe is on a distinguished road

Plug drama sucks, my 08 missed all the plug problems.

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.
Old Tue, April 21st, 2009, 07:38 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Everything should be ok. The gryphon still has your stock tune.(Remember you can unplug it if you don't want it to grow legs) The only time that the gryphon can get screwed up on that if its hooked up to pegasus(for updates and tunes) without you returning it to stock. The tune is still in the pcm because it is no different than your stock tune being in there.

Sorry to hear about the misfortune on the 3 plugs. Makes me dread that day even more!

Lars

PS
Jack/Bill/Corey will probably correct me if I am wrong!

When in doubt always put truck back to stock.
You are absolutely right in all respects in this advice, Lars! Good on you!

I took my truck in to Jim Click Ford here in Tucson for an oil change (I can't be bothered to do it myself anymore - too much of a hassle getting rid of the used oil, crawling around under the truck and so on), and I asked the service consultant how they were doing with regard to plug changes. He said they're having no problems. He said it takes a long time, which is why it costs so much, but as long as they are careful and follow the SB exactly, they do not get broken plugs!

I guess I should ask about injectors next time (sorry for the brief hijack here).

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer