Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Whopper aka STANK FOOT

RUSTY2STUFF is on a distinguished road
Default Got it fast, woohoo it's great, but stinky cab!!

I am amazed how fast I recieved my Gryphon. I didn't expect it for a while with everything going on. Bill and Corey you guys are the best, you rock.

I do have one concern. I have a Volant CAI, the one with the airbox. I used the tow program and the cab smells like burnt dust, kinda like when you turn on the heat in your house for the 1st time. The drone is also really bad. The tank was about half full of 89 so I pumped her full of 93 and switched to the performance tune and no more smell. It runs great, very little drone and I don't here any pinging. Should I worry about running to lean? If so is there something I can adjust to help? Timing, advance etc? I havn't done anything to the truck besides the CAI and leveling. It's on 05 F150 Lariat screw 4x4 5.4.

Thanks again,
You are the best,
Hope things start getting better and I'm praying for you all.
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 08:04 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Are you using custom or canned tunes?
Stinky cab, burnt dust smell? While using tow tune?
These questions need to be answered.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 08:21 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Thought about it some more.
You must be running level 2 canned tow tune?
Don't want to burst your bubble but I would only run level 1 canned tranny only tune.
Eventhough the level 2 canned tow tune is richer I think your 05 is running lean.
Like I said before it probably isn't a good idea to try level 2 or 3 anymore until you get your custom tunes.
JMHO

Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 09:19 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I agree with 88 -use the Tranny only tune since you have the CAI. And, does the smell go away in the tranny only tune? If you didn't have a drone before the Gryphon, it should go away in Level 1 too.

The thing that's puzzling, is that there's no connection between your cab and the internals of the engine, so there's no way for any "smells" generated by a tune internally to get to you. You DO get air over the heat exchanger in the heater, but usually, all you might smell is a brief whiff of antifreeze (due to seepage), unless there's a real leak.

You wouldn't have mucked around in the engine bay to install the Gryphon, so I'm at a total loss regarding the smell.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Whopper aka STANK FOOT

Hello,

Thanks for the input.

Tunes are canned. I am puzzled also. My next question was gonna be where could the smell be coming from? My guess would be from the engine compartment out to the air intake for the heat/ac. That leads to what is actually causing the smell? Something burning, but what? Odd!

I drove to work this morning with the performance tune and the drone is much better, but not gone and the smell was not nearly as bad, but more noticeable when the drone is present. When I installed the CAI (prior to the Gryphon) the drone, performance & drivability got better over time, but never any smell. I believe the pcm adjusted for drone. The drone was almost gone. Is drone more likely to be caused by a lean or rich condition?

Just food for thought:

If the tow tune is richer why would the smell and drone be worse than the performance tune and stock?

I also know there is disagreement on the CAI here, but my previous experience with intakes on motorcycles leads me to believe in them. It’s not just a matter of maximum airflow at wide open throttle. I used to tune street and race bikes (rice burners) before they were fuel injected and different intake shapes, sizes, configurations all effect performance and drivability.
A little of subject, I know. I will start a new post with my thoughts on the subject when I have more time.

If I sound like an argumentative jerk I don’t mean to. Just looking for input.

Again Thanks a Bunch,
You guys are the best
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 11:47 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

I don't want to be argumenative either but past occurances have happened on the 04-05's with a CAI and edge/gryphon tuners. Even just running a CAI is already been an issue with some of those year trucks.
We only suggested what we did based those occurances and Bill's past advise also.
Use your CHT in your display.
Record each read out after each tune tried for at least 30 miles at highway speeds.
1. Stock
2. Tow
3. Performance
If the CHT read outs seem to get higher for a certain tune then that tune is running lean. Lean will cause higher engine temps.
Its your truck and you can do to it whatever you like but by posting our concerns for the integrity of the motor we are turning on the caution sign until Bill gets back so he can address your issue.
New motors start at $8K from Ford.

Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 11:53 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Since you got your tuner now, please update your user cp with you hex code and serial number.

Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Whopper aka STANK FOOT

OK will do. Any idea what CHT range is on a completely stock truck?

Any chance someone could chime in on my other questions?

Thanks
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Whopper aka STANK FOOT

Left the Hex written on the install directions on the counter at home. I'll update both when I get home from work. Sorry.

I do remember one thing I wrote down last night and that was 0-60 times.
Stock 7.37
Tow 7.24
Performance 7.07!!!!!
Three tenths with canned tunes 0-60. How could anyone be unhappy. Just push a couple of buttons and Zoooommmm.

Next, exhaust and Bill's Magic.
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 12:21 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Stock CHT should be around 204-208.
My canned tow was about 209-210.
My perf canned tune ran about 213.
My 87 custom perf+tow is about 212.
Anything above 218 (no weight truck only) cruising the highway.

A wide ban AFR meter would really help you to see the AFR. That's what gives you the numbers to see what the tune is doing. But they are $200-$400.

Last edited by 88Racing; Tue, January 12th, 2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Changed the 1 to 2