Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 12:30 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I will admit at first this EFI stuff is a bit confusing but it takes on a whole different way of thinking of how things work compared to carbs. These motors are not push rod style ones either anymore. They are all computer controlled overhead cam types. The motors are based off of Ford's indy platform motor.
BTW nice 0-60 times.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Whopper aka STANK FOOT

RUSTY2STUFF is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the temps. I'll check it out tonight. I'll be on the highway about 20 miles each way to play cards.

Wasn't sure if the times were good. Don't have anything to compare them to. Just wanted to see the difference. The perf time was with the rears spinning (that never happened before!!!) and I let out of the gas to get it to hook up.

I'm somewhat familiar with EFI also. Tuned a decent amount of Injected bikes also (closed loop) just stopped tuning not to long after they started injecting them. Started feeling like I imagine Bill does, plus I sold bikes and worked at a bike shop for 15 years. Just didn't want to look at them anymore. Didn't even look at the again for about 10 years. Then about 2 years ago, back on a rice burner. I'm ramling again sorry.

Thanks
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 02:02 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Ah, 88 - don't you mean:Yes I did and I editted them
Stock CHT should be around 204-208.
My canned tow was about 209-210.
My perf canned tune ran about 213.
My 87 custom perf+tow is about 212.
Anything above 218 (no weight truck only) cruising the highway.
(Cylinder Head Temps all in the "200s"?) And, those numbers are pretty similar to mine, unless I'm towing up some long steep grade where the transmission is down to 2nd and the RPMs are running near 4000.

- Jack

Last edited by 88Racing; Tue, January 12th, 2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Changed my numbers
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Ah, 88 - don't you mean:
- Jack
Haha I was gettin' nervous until I saw that connection because my truck is always within 6˚ of 190˚^
Do you guys think the smell and drone are related in some way? We know that the drone is a harmonic vibration, could it help make something eek out onto the heat exchanger or something like that? Because it sounds like when the drone isn't as strong the smell isn't as strong. And metal is a good conductor of vibrations so they dont have to be physically connected to be affected.
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 03:10 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Actually the plastic CAI's tend to drone a lot more than the metal ones do. The plastic tends to resonate a lot easier than metal.
Look at some of the posts where the hemholz silencers were removed on the stock intake. Guess what?, they got drone.
Bill has said in posts in the past that the 3" metal CAI's are easier to tune the drone out.

Last edited by 88Racing; Tue, January 12th, 2010 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Changed my numbers
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 03:23 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

To the OP,
Was the tow tune the first tune you loaded?
During that first tune load did you open up custom options and put in any adjustments?
Any codes?
There have been a couple of other weird occurances to date when the canned tow tune along with a CAI has been loaded initially with a custom option adjustment.
Usually just reloading the stock tune and then doing a reload of the canned tow tune will clear it up.
That's why I asked.

Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Whopper aka STANK FOOT

I did not. Here is what I did do.

Installed Gryphon and loaded tow tune.
Installed stock tune.
I then reinstalled the tow tune with custom options to adjust gearing. It was correct at 3.73 and adjusted the tire size with the calculation chart.
Drove the truck home with tow tune. Smell and drone were present.
When i got home I tuned back to stock.
Downloaded pegasis and updated Gryphon. Both firmware and Calibration. Neither changed they were both the most recent.
Went for a drive and did the stock 0-60 time and drove a little while.
Then tuned to tow and did the 0-60.
Drove about 10 miles and filled up with 93 octane Shell gas. The tank was about half full of 89 octane.
Drove 10 miles back to the same spot and did the 0-60.
Then Just went home and parked it for the night.

Thanks
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Double Whopper

bambo2888 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTY2STUFF View Post
I did not. Here is what I did do.

Installed Gryphon and loaded tow tune.
Installed stock tune.
I then reinstalled the tow tune with custom options to adjust gearing. It was correct at 3.73 and adjusted the tire size with the calculation chart.
Drove the truck home with tow tune. Smell and drone were present.
When i got home I tuned back to stock.
Downloaded pegasis and updated Gryphon. Both firmware and Calibration. Neither changed they were both the most recent.
Went for a drive and did the stock 0-60 time and drove a little while.
Then tuned to tow and did the 0-60.
Drove about 10 miles and filled up with 93 octane Shell gas. The tank was about half full of 89 octane.
Drove 10 miles back to the same spot and did the 0-60.
Then Just went home and parked it for the night.

Thanks
what are your version numbers for the firmware and calibration?
Gryphon Programmer custom tuned by Bill at PHP ~ 325/60/18 Terra Grapplers ~ K&N Cold Air ~ 2.5 HBS Level ~ Skyjacker Shocks ~ SI/DO Flowmaster 40 w/ deleted rear cats ~ 8000k HID headlights and foglights ~ Blacked out tails ~ Hardwired STI Driver ~ Rockford Fosgate Amp, 10" Sub, w/ Infinity References

BLACKED OUT TAILS FOR SALE!!
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Whopper aka STANK FOOT

Ok on the drive home I noticed the smell is worse when the heat is on and even worse when it is on the floor only. When I got home I smelled the floor mats carpet everything, but no smell. When I took my shoes off I smelled the bottoms and eewwww the smell. I think I may have walked thru something. I will drive it tonight WITH DIFFERENT SHOES and post up when I get home.

I feel STUUUPID . I was out of work most of last week and only wear my work shoes to work which is where my Gryphon was delivered on Monday. It snowed last week and I wonder if something was put down where I work and I walked thru it on my way into work. I installed the Gryphon during my lunch and smelled it for the first time on my way home . If that is it I'm a moron.

Thanks for the waisted brain power.

I'll still post my version after I check them.
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Double Whopper

bambo2888 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTY2STUFF View Post
Ok on the drive home I noticed the smell is worse when the heat is on and even worse when it is on the floor only. When I got home I smelled the floor mats carpet everything, but no smell. When I took my shoes off I smelled the bottoms and eewwww the smell. I think I may have walked thru something. I will drive it tonight WITH DIFFERENT SHOES and post up when I get home.

I feel STUUUPID . I was out of work most of last week and only wear my work shoes to work which is where my Gryphon was delivered on Monday. It snowed last week and I wonder if something was put down where I work and I walked thru it on my way into work. I installed the Gryphon during my lunch and smelled it for the first time on my way home . If that is it I'm a moron.

Thanks for the waisted brain power.

I'll still post my version after I check them.
ahahah!!! thats hilarious!! hopefully youre right and nothing major.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Ah, 88 - don't you mean:
(Cylinder Head Temps all in the "200s"?) And, those numbers are pretty similar to mine, unless I'm towing up some long steep grade where the transmission is down to 2nd and the RPMs are running near 4000.

- Jack
Jack, I have an 04, K&N CAI, and the gryphon on level 2. my CHT didnt get above 192 all night. Does this mean im running rich? shouldnt i be a perfect candidate for extreme lean conditions?
Gryphon Programmer custom tuned by Bill at PHP ~ 325/60/18 Terra Grapplers ~ K&N Cold Air ~ 2.5 HBS Level ~ Skyjacker Shocks ~ SI/DO Flowmaster 40 w/ deleted rear cats ~ 8000k HID headlights and foglights ~ Blacked out tails ~ Hardwired STI Driver ~ Rockford Fosgate Amp, 10" Sub, w/ Infinity References

BLACKED OUT TAILS FOR SALE!!