Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

twintips_17 is on a distinguished road
Default Shift points under moderate load???

I have had an edge for about 3 years now in a 5spd f150. About 3 months ago I sold that truck and purchased a screw with the 5.4 and auto. My biggest complaint is that is seems to shift prematurely.

I have been doing some moderate towing in Montana and a lot of highway driving there and what i notice is that it will downshift at about %70 of a load on the engine. I feel that it should hold out a bit longer before downshifting.

I was goign to wait to have it tuned by PHP when i do my head swap but would send it in today if they could make it shift at %80 load.

What is everyones take on this?
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 08:44 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintips_17 View Post
I have had an edge for about 3 years now in a 5spd f150. About 3 months ago I sold that truck and purchased a screw with the 5.4 and auto. My biggest complaint is that is seems to shift prematurely.

I have been doing some moderate towing in Montana and a lot of highway driving there and what i notice is that it will downshift at about %70 of a load on the engine. I feel that it should hold out a bit longer before downshifting.

I was goign to wait to have it tuned by PHP when i do my head swap but would send it in today if they could make it shift at %80 load.

What is everyones take on this?
Hi again -

You should be able to reduce the downshift speed and torque converter unlock points in the Custom Options menu. Or, maybe on an Edge you don't have these options. I have them on my Gryphon.

Like you, I thought the truck was downshifting too soon while towing. The Custom Options can correct this to an extent and Bill's tuning can do the rest.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Hi again -

You should be able to reduce the downshift speed and torque converter unlock points in the Custom Options menu. Or, maybe on an Edge you don't have these options. I have them on my Gryphon.

Like you, I thought the truck was downshifting too soon while towing. The Custom Options can correct this to an extent and Bill's tuning can do the rest.

- Jack
I know on my edge that i can mess with the WOT shift points and the shift pressure. But i have never done this yet. Im so used to having a stick and giving up a few MPH to allow the engines torque to pull me through. The auto doesnt do this and so i find my self leaving it at %69-%70 so that i can force it not to shift. But i know i have more power and that if i would be allowed to raise it up to say %80 then it wouldn't lose any speed.
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 08:54 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintips_17 View Post
I know on my edge that i can mess with the WOT shift points and the shift pressure. But i have never done this yet. Im so used to having a stick and giving up a few MPH to allow the engines torque to pull me through. The auto doesnt do this and so i find my self leaving it at %69-%70 so that i can force it not to shift. But i know i have more power and that if i would be allowed to raise it up to say %80 then it wouldn't lose any speed.
I don't think this has anything to do with WOT shift points. It has to do with 4-3 downshift, 3-2 downshift, etc. And, these are options on the Gryphon.

Like you, I'd rather be driving a stick shift. In a gasser, a little bit of "lugging" never seemed to hurt anything and I'd rather be there than downshift to a suddenly "too high" rev point - Unless I was passing, then, I want all the power I can get.

Maybe Bill can jump in here. We've talked about this before, but you've expressed the problem better than I did, I think.

- Jack
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I don't think this has anything to do with WOT shift points. It has to do with 4-3 downshift, 3-2 downshift, etc. And, these are options on the Gryphon.

Like you, I'd rather be driving a stick shift. In a gasser, a little bit of "lugging" never seemed to hurt anything and I'd rather be there than downshift to a suddenly "too high" rev point - Unless I was passing, then, I want all the power I can get.

Maybe Bill can jump in here. We've talked about this before, but you've expressed the problem better than I did, I think.

- Jack
I hope bill does jump in. I have heared nothing but great tings about him but have yet to talk to him.

I would have to look but i would take a bet that my edge doesn't have those settings.
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 10:01 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Check the Model Number and Version Number on the sticker. If it's Model Number EEF2400 and Version E3.xx.xx then it's an older model that is not upgradeable and doesn't support torque converter adjustments or downshift adjustments. In those cases, Custom Tuning is the only solution to achieve the desired shift strategy.

The WOT Shifting adjustment won't do you any good except at wide open throttle. (In know, kooky huh? ) However, you should be able to raise the standard shifting to something a bit more suitable for your needs. The Evo should provide enough adjustment to give you a reasonable shift.

Hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Check the Model Number and Version Number on the sticker. If it's Model Number EEF2400 and Version E3.xx.xx then it's an older model that is not upgradeable and doesn't support torque converter adjustments or downshift adjustments. In those cases, Custom Tuning is the only solution to achieve the desired shift strategy.

The WOT Shifting adjustment won't do you any good except at wide open throttle. (In know, kooky huh? ) However, you should be able to raise the standard shifting to something a bit more suitable for your needs. The Evo should provide enough adjustment to give you a reasonable shift.

Hope this helps.
I have an EEF2100 cuase its an 02 F150. Does that still limit me to the same perameters?:sniffle:

I have a 15050 Ver: 4.7.7 Date of Man 12/7/07

and also

I have a 15050 Ver: 4.7.7 Date of Man 4/7/08
Old Thu, February 5th, 2009, 12:36 AM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

My mistake... I didn't even catch that you had a 2002. The downshift and converter options are not available on those. However, based on what you looking for, I'm pretty sure you can get most of what you need by adjusting the standard shifts up a little bit. If that doesn't give you enough adjustment, then it's custom tuning time.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Thu, February 5th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
My mistake... I didn't even catch that you had a 2002. The downshift and converter options are not available on those. However, based on what you looking for, I'm pretty sure you can get most of what you need by adjusting the standard shifts up a little bit. If that doesn't give you enough adjustment, then it's custom tuning time.

Take care.
I think its custom tuning time anyways. I have read about it and have wanted it for almost 3 years.

I wish that my truck was a stick. I drive prodomintly in a tow tune at 91 octane. I love the low end torque. I am very rarely ever in performance mod due to the fact i dont know what i am going to do day to day. Im always pulling people out of the ditch up here in MT and tow on a week on and week off basis. So i hate reprograming back and forth.

Do you think that i could get a custom tune that would help my shifting needs?

Also is there any way to have some of the options that the eef2400 has that i dont??? Such as transmission temp? I know i dont have the sensor in the transmission but i have one ready to go in next time i drop the pan. Could that be read by the tuner in some wierd way. I doubt it as i would have to find some way off getting the info to the PCM. Worth a try.....

Last edited by twintips_17; Thu, February 5th, 2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old Thu, February 5th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Actually, the transmission does have a sensor it's just that the PCM doesn't output the data as a degree value, but instead as a voltage.

Unfortunately, I have no way to modify the firmware on those units so I can't add or modify any features.

We can do custom tuning to address your shifting needs.

Hope this helps.

(678) 890-1110