Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Old Fri, September 17th, 2010, 11:26 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

No, it's that the bench you used is FAR too clean. Has someone been building automatic transmissions on that one lately?

That will work. This obviously is not factoring in the PW multiplier (which on a stock truck at operating temperature is 1 anyway).

Now, since we have a bit of information here, why would we go about increasing the injector on-time instead of maintaining higher ICP to get the same MFD?
Old Fri, September 17th, 2010, 11:59 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Maybe........

Just a spare for the pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Now, since we have a bit of information here, why would we go about increasing the injector on-time instead of maintaining higher ICP to get the same MFD?
Good question.

Maybe because the injector is too slow, even with the higher ICP.
Old Fri, September 17th, 2010, 12:07 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

I would only be able to venture a guess to that one. Basically, you're accomplishing the same thing either way, but I assume that the lower ICP/higher PW is accomplishing the task of introducing a bit of heat to the turbocharger turbine........

OR

The power will come on a bit more slowly and with less aggressiveness with your foot to the wood.

Which reason? Heck, I don't know. It thought that you might have an idea.
Old Fri, September 17th, 2010, 12:16 PM
BROKE

So then - back to my original question, how to decrease spool time.

Looks like dropping ICP in the low RPM's, or pulling some timing out would both help this situation.

Would you venture to guess this is what Ford had in mind when designing these maps?

Seems like there would be a trade off, crispy clean throttle - or faster spool up.
Old Fri, September 17th, 2010, 12:17 PM
BROKE

And how the heck are you replying when you are offline?
Old Fri, September 17th, 2010, 12:46 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

I fixed the offline thing just for you.
Old Fri, September 17th, 2010, 01:02 PM
BROKE

Silly Mods with all your superpowers.
Old Fri, September 17th, 2010, 01:42 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Wanna see me fly?

About the timing/fuel thing......

You have already experienced the "crispy" nature of high ICP and I think that the dip in the high MFD/low RPM range of the ICP map is to minimize the actual start of combustion and also "soften" the low-rpm acceleration slightly.

Those are just my thoughts though and I could be way off.
Old Sun, September 19th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Bacon King

Pocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907dave View Post
So then - back to my original question, how to decrease spool time.

Looks like dropping ICP in the low RPM's, or pulling some timing out would both help this situation.

Would you venture to guess this is what Ford had in mind when designing these maps?

Seems like there would be a trade off, crispy clean throttle - or faster spool up.
Try adding too much fuel at lower RPM's. What happens? You get lots of smoke, and a turbo that seems to take forever to light.

Adding more fuel at lower RPM's doesn't increase the spool up of the turbo. In fact, it can be quite the opposite, increasing lag time until the turbo finally catches up, then you get a neck snapping response after you've killed a few hundred polar bears with the exhaust trail left behind

In the mean time.... with all that fueling and no air, EGT's rise quickly. It's especially troubling if your driving up a hill and the engine loses speed. That's when you start seeing smoke pour out the tailpipe, and the EGT gauge rises quickly.

That's why I like my tuning to have pretty much bone stock fueling for the first half of the pedal.

Think of it in terms of pulsewidth... not so much ICP and timing (although those are important too). The main thing to look at is how much fuel is being called for right off idle, and in the RPM range before the turbo spools.
Old Mon, September 20th, 2010, 04:18 AM
BROKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
Try adding too much fuel at lower RPM's. What happens? You get lots of smoke, and a turbo that seems to take forever to light.
You are correct, however I am not looking to add any more fuel - just retard the timing to help the turbo out a bit. I was looking to do this by pulling some timing out of the base SOI map, or by dropping the ICP to slow the SOC.

I do understand that by dropping the ICP you indirectly increase PW, which I dont think will have a great effect on the total quantity of fuel delivered - it just wont be as complete of a burn.

I have had a bit of time to play around with this the last few days and it seem to be working. It doesn't have that "neck snapping" crispness, but instead a smooth progressive feel.

Have not decided which I like more, but I do like the reduced engine noise.