Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Sat, September 29th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Whopper Junior

jay87lx is on a distinguished road
Default New member a bit confused

Hi, my name is jay, I just bought an Edge Evolution CTS. I see that here they are talking about the "Gryphon" - what is this referring to because I see in other places on this forum they are mentioning Edge. Any clarification would be appreciated
Old Sat, September 29th, 2012, 10:44 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Hello Jay, welcome to the PHP forum!

I don't blame you for being confused. The name "Gryphon" is really the name PHP gives to any programmer manufactured by Edge that PHP sells. Originally, the name was reserved for Edge programmers that had been "recased" and had received a firmware update from PHP and that were either already programmed with custom tunes or were expected to be in the near future.

But then, Edge started producing the CS and CTS models. They stopped allowing PHP to recase them and as far as I know, the firmware in those units is still Edge's original code. But, PHP can install custom tunes on them and we who have those models are pleased to call them "Gryphons" too, in recognition of Bill Cohron's superior tuning.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Again, glad to have you with us.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer