Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Mon, July 12th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Double Whopper

AussieOiler is on a distinguished road
Question 285 vs 305 vs 295???

G'day Fellas,

I have an Edge Evo with a dash pod monitoring vitals such as EGT, TFT, EOT & Boost.
I'm soon to go for the Upgrade to the Gryphon.

A few questions I'd like to ask your opinions or actual experience (prefered) on the differing effects that tyres sizes have on performance & MPG.
Does programming the Gryphon custom tunned for the tyres size have any real noticable advantage to a Gryphon canned tune?

I am currently running Toyo OPAT AT 305 70R 16s (33.2' X 12.0") on 10" Rims.
I have a Stock Tranny (extra coolers, thinking of a JWVB) and 3.73 gears.
Questions:
1. Would there be any real advantage in dropping back to a 285 75R 16 tyre? I realise that there is a neglegable difference in the overall diameter between a 305 & a 285. But the difference in rolling resistance is to be taken into account. That is there is 80mm (3.2") ( 4 x 20mm) more rubber contact with the road surface to overcome. Plus I guess the extra weight of that extra rubber and the 10" Rim compared to an 8" Rim for the 285 size tyre.

2. The reason I've thrown a 295 75R 16 into the equasion is that if you blokes come back with good reasons/advantages for dropping from a 305 to a 285 I would also have to get 8" Rims as the 10" are too wide for a 285 tyre.
However a 295 tyre is around 33.4" in diameter (1/5" taller than the 305/285), but with less tread width (rolling resistance) and would fit a 10" Rim (just).

The truck is quite heavy even with an empty load. With all the extras, steel bull bar, bumper, canopy, long range tanks etc etc; it weighs around 4,200kg (9,200lbs).
Now fully loaded with all the 'goin' bush gear' and towing a Rough Road HD suspension caravan the GCVM (GCVW) would come to 7,100kg (16,300lbs)

So am I looking too deeply into this? (or) Is there some real gains too be made with either tyre size changes or Gryphon programming or combination of both

I'm very new to all this, so go easy on me fellas, living downunder in Aussie standing upsidedown on the bottom of the world tends to let too much blood run to our heads

Cheers fellas,
Reg.
[/SIGPIC] Aussie 2005(US 2003)F-250 SD 4x4 7.3Ltr PS: AIS Intake,Zoodad,Cowl Hood,AIH delete,DIY CCV,PHP FU2 Chip,RiffRaff FRx,HPx & OCR,BTM Exhaust,HD rear spring set,Front leveler spring, Dual Tower shocks front,Tough Dog Damper,ARB Air Lockers Front & Rear,V10 Tranny cooler+OEM Cooler, BD Deep Pan,JWVB,Long Range Fuel Tank,Edge Evo2,VMS In Dash Nav. GVM(GVWR)Upgraded to 5,000k(LT Rated F350+).
Old Mon, July 12th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Since you have alot of weight I would go with the tires that are wider to help spread the weight. Unless you are cruizing at 70 mph on the highway all the time the taller tires shouldn't make too much of a difference. I went from 235/70-17 highway tires to 265/70-17 all terrains and the only change in mileage was the 60+mph (which dropped like a rock to about 15-16 mpg). I know my mileage under 60 didn't drop and even improved in some cases. This included paved roads and dirt/gravel roads (still up to 60, even on dirt ).

The taller tires are going to cause a loss in power without regearing(due to a mechanical disadvantage). Increasing width will have a larger impact on mpg at highway speeds...IMO.

Figured that might be helpful since your truck looks like it sees a bit of dirt ever so often.

Last edited by Longshot270; Mon, July 12th, 2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old Mon, July 12th, 2010, 10:29 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

Yep any of those sizes is gonna be fine and you wont see a significant difference with power or MPG, unlike if you were changing size on say a F150 or a mini truck for example..
the biggest change will be in ride quality and handling. I have run 315's, 255/85r16's currently on 285/75r16 which i like the best so far. also D vs E rated can make a big drivability difference esp if you tow
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's