Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Upgrade your Evo

Upgrade your Evo Upgrade your Edge Evolution to a Gryphon Programmer to allow for custom tuning and additional functionality.

Due to issues with the cable failures due to incompatible versions of firmware, we do not offer upgrades
or tuning for the 1997-2003 F-Series gas or 7.3L diesel trucks. We recommend using another platform.

Old Sat, February 13th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Whopper Junior

flub781 is on a distinguished road
Default evo to gryphon upgrade... help needed

Ok so a Guy from my fire department is a Mechanic for a local dodge dealership. They got an 06 F150 in on a trade with an EVO programmer in it, and he wound up getting it for me for free. I definitely want to get this turned into a gryphon but I have a few questions.

1. I dont believe it was set back to stock before it was removed from the vehicle. I downloaded the fusion software off edge's website and when i hook the programmer to my computer it says "plug back into truck and set to stock". I believe when it was taken out of the truck it was taken out while in level 1. The truck is no longer at the dealership so I cannot put it back into the truck to correct this. Is there any way to do it?

2. I wanted to get the custom tunes done for it. right now I have a CAI installed and want to get a SI/DO roush off road exhaust. can i get the tunes for it now or should I wait until I get the exhaust to order the tunes?

and finally, Which custom tunes should i get. I am running 93 octane and don't do any towing, which ones would you recommend?

thanks
Old Sat, February 13th, 2010, 03:59 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

First, to our forum! We are glad to have you here.

Now the bad new... It is $75.00 to unlock a Evolution that's still tied to a vehicle, but can be done when you send the unit in for upgrade.

The exhaust isn't too much of a problem, as long as it is limited to a Cat Back kit. You could get the custom tunes now and not worry about the exhaust later.

If all you run is 93 octane, then the 93 Performance is your best bet. You could get an 87 Performance as well just in case you get stuck with cheap fuel, but that's up to you. If you go with only the 93 program, then you'll stick with the stock 87 Tow and the Trans Only programs. If you go with the 87 Performance as well, then you could toss the Trans Only and leave the 87 Tow.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, September 22nd, 2010, 12:40 PM
Whopper Junior

Opening this back up. Was going to send this out earlier but ran into some money issues. Finally ready to do this though.

I'm running 89 octane gas so I was thinking of doing the 89 performance, and the stock 87 tow and trans only. I don't do much towing at all(once since I bought the truck). I did the Roush off road si/do exhaust cat back exhaust and have no other changes except for the AEM Brute Force Intake and don't plan on doing anything else. Is there a different set of tunes you would recommend?

Also while I was filling out the form I stopped because of the hex code question. I don't want to hook it the programmer up to my truck because it is locked in the level 1 setting. Do i need to include the hex code and if I do, where is it located? I think i found the pcm on the truck and have a pic of it to make sure. Didn't know if it was on the pcm or not. thanks
DSCN0163.jpg
Old Wed, September 22nd, 2010, 01:49 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Flub, I don't know the year of your truck, but the picture you posted looks like it is the PCM. There should be three wire harness connectors along it's top edge and it looks like a flat metal box sitting up high on the firewall on the passenger side of the engine bay. (This is if you have an 04-08 truck, that is. If it's an earlier model, you will no longer be able to have the Edge upgraded to a Gryphon due to cable issues and, if it's an 09+, the programmer will not work.)

But, locating the PCM will not tell you the hex code. About the only thing you could get would be the "box" code, which is not what Bill needs.

So, unless you can find out the hex (or calibration code) some other way, You'll just have to send it in for the conversion and unlocking without the code. Bill will convert it to a Gryphon with Gryphon canned tunes, unlock it and return it to you in that state. You can begin using it immediately with the canned tunes and I'd suggest you try the Level 2 tow tune, since it is a very good all-around tune (it's what I used until I got custom tunes). The fact that you are using 89 octane gas is of no consequence, but since you are, you might be able to advance the timing +1 degree for slightly better performance.

Once you receive the unit back and plug it into your truck, you'll be able to read and submit your hex code - there's a special link on PHP's website for that purpose.

Then, when Bill writes your custom tune, you'll be able to load it into your Gryphon using a PC app called Pegasus that you can download from PHP's website.

I think some code readers CAN display the hex code, but unless you have access to one of those, just do it my way.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, September 22nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
Whopper Junior

Cool, thanks for the response. My trucks an 06 f150. Sounds like a plan. I'm going to fill out the order form and send it out sometime this week...cant wait
Old Wed, February 2nd, 2011, 12:26 AM
Whopper Junior

Finally sent this in yesterday. Can't wait to finally get the ball rolling on this. It's been over a year in the making.
Old Mon, February 7th, 2011, 02:40 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, February 11th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Whopper Junior

Gryphon came in the mail today. WOW. Cant Believe the difference now. Definitely going to order the custom tunes but have one more question. Exactly where is the hex code? I was going through the menu and found a code that read ECM: letters and #'s.HEX

Is that what I need for the custom tunes
Old Fri, February 11th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flub781 View Post
Gryphon came in the mail today. WOW. Cant Believe the difference now. Definitely going to order the custom tunes but have one more question. Exactly where is the hex code? I was going through the menu and found a code that read ECM: letters and #'s.HEX

Yep, that is it
Old Sun, February 13th, 2011, 06:56 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by flub781 View Post

yep...

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.