Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2009 to 2014 F-150

2009 to 2014 F-150 3.5L, 3.7L, 4.6L, 5.0L, 5.4L, and 6.2L equipped F-150s

Old Mon, September 13th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Whopper Junior

96grimreaper is on a distinguished road
Question '10 w/ 4.6 2V

Ok, I know, I know.....new guy with the same old questions.

Before I start making phone calls and sending pm's to several people I thought I'd ask a few questions in a thread first. Also thanks to JackandJanet and 88racing for sending me over here.

I have a 2010 F-150 supercab with the 4.6 2V. Only "performance" mod I have is a si/do exhaust which is really just for sound. I recently put on 295/70/18's and lost a little power. (which I fully expected)

After making multiple phone calls and finding out gears would void my 100k mile powertrain warranty those are not an option, for awhile anyway.

I'm hoping the aid of the Gryphon CS will help me get a little bit back of what I lost.

Now my questions...

Since I do not have any major mods, should I get a custom tune or will the canned tunes suffice?

If I do go with a custom tune will the 87 canned tune be considered the "economy tune"?

Again, if I go with a custom tune I'd opt for the 91, if everyone else thinks the 91 over the 87 would be worth it.

I daily drive the truck approximately 100 miles a day, mostly highway. Truck occasionally tows, and I do go out and play in the mud/sand.

Im just looking towards the experts here for opinions because I've convinced myself I need a tuner. Thank you in advance.
Old Fri, March 25th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Whopper

Whit is on a distinguished road

I basically have the same questions, except I have a fully functional hood scoop and a Jet superchip. I probably need to get rid of the chip to get a CS though.
Old Fri, March 25th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96grimreaper View Post
Since I do not have any major mods, should I get a custom tune or will the canned tunes suffice?

If I do go with a custom tune will the 87 canned tune be considered the "economy tune"?

Again, if I go with a custom tune I'd opt for the 91, if everyone else thinks the 91 over the 87 would be worth it.

I daily drive the truck approximately 100 miles a day, mostly highway. Truck occasionally tows, and I do go out and play in the mud/sand.

Im just looking towards the experts here for opinions because I've convinced myself I need a tuner. Thank you in advance.
Well the Canned will "suffice", as in they will drastically improve your performance over stock, but custom tunes are better and safer for your truck because they account for your driving habits, if you tell Bill about them that is. I always recommend custom tunes because of the specialization that they provide to you, your truck, and your driving habits.

If the truck is designed to run 87, I vote to run 87. it is cheaper, and the 91 will not be much of a benefit, if any at all. Jackandjanet agrees with me on this(well actually I agree with him on that ), since you dont have a higher compression engine you will not need the extra octane. the benefit it does provide is a slower more controlled burn, so bill would advnace the timing in his tunes, and might even adjust the shift points slightly for the higher octane, but being gas prices are going up, I still vote for 87.

Bill does not provide any sort of "economy" tune because of past tunes of that nature all received complaints because they werent what the owners expected nor wanted. the performance tune is the economy tune. A performance tune makes the engine run as efficient as possible to get the best power, but efficiency also make it run more economical. if you can get more power out of the same amount of gas, then you will need less gas to drive the same speed, but you will use more gas to get the extra power, and if you drive like me, you wont see much improvements in gas mileage because of your leadfootedness...

I would get a tow tune as well. Use it for whenever the truck is really straining itself such as towing, or if you think you may get stuck in the mud. Make sure that whenever you switch tunes that you do it either at home, or close to a tow truck place because although rare with the newer trucks and Gryphons, it is always possible that something goes wrong and makes your truck unusable.

I dont consider myself an expert, and my disclamer is always to see what anyone else says because I get thing wrong sometimes . Either way I hope I helped answer your questions.
Old Fri, March 25th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Great post Tico
Old Sat, March 26th, 2011, 10:58 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I agree with Longshot - great post, Tico! (Guess we should just "retire", eh?)

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, March 26th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Forum Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I agree with Longshot - great post, Tico! (Guess we should just "retire", eh?)

- Jack
Didn't you already do that?

Old Sat, March 26th, 2011, 04:55 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Smartass! (But I know you're just jealous!)

- Jack
Old Sat, March 26th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Forum Predator

Um mum mum mummmm, I'm gonna tell the teacher you said a potty word!

At the moment I am. I've been waiting on a phone call from the Cabela's fishing department for a job and my phone died of unnatural causes earlier.
Old Sun, March 27th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Haha thanks guys! , I guess y'all's have taught me a lot and I like to help and don't worry about retiring yet, I am still trying to learn as much as I can from the site, and I am sure I have a long way to go! haha