Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Wed, April 4th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Whopper Junior

jtbowen31 is on a distinguished road
Default Leaky Up-pipes?

Hi everyone,
I am trying to diagnose a couple issues with my truck, a late 99 7.3 6 speed with 212k miles. Over the last few months, I have noticed my truck is starting to smoke more than usual under heavy acceleration when the rpms are under 2k. When I installed my chip last year, my towing tune was pretty much smoke free, and my daily driving tune would give off a slight haze. Now they both give off pretty good (but small) dark clouds, with the towing tune being a little worse. I have also noticed the engine drone has gotten quite a bit louder in the cab, and my wife thought she heard a pinging noise from the passenger's side. I haven't noticed any changes in performance, my mileage hasn't gone down, and my boost and egts haven't changed. All the intake boots are tight also. Since the truck has become much louder and I can't find any other exhaust leaks, it makes me think the up-pipes are done for. Are there any other things I might not be thinking of?

My other question relates to cold starts. When I go to start the truck after it has been sitting over night, it seems like it cranks a little longer than it used to, and it has been giving off white smoke for ~15 seconds after start up. It has always smoked when it has been cold out, but these have been 60-70 degree mornings. Maybe it is nothing to worry about, and the truck still runs great. I have just heard these might be signs of the injectors wearing out, so I thought I would see if anyone else has any ideas, and if there is anything I can do about it short of buying a new set of injectors.

-Jordan
Old Thu, April 5th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Whopper Junior

Trapper is on a distinguished road
Default Leaky Up-pipes?

Jordan if you want to replace the gaskets in your up pipes. I think Swamps sells a sold brass parts that seal up real nice.
Old Thu, April 5th, 2012, 09:12 AM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

If you are blowing black smoke, and have leaky up pipes, you should notice black soot around them. It would also give you lower boost as exhaust pressure/volume/velocity is what drives the turbo.

My suggestion is to get it scanned, sensor readings, and run injector tests. A diesel shop should be able to do it, or you could buy AutoEnginuity. Compression text would also be handy, may just be worn cylinders.

How are you checking fuel economy? Do you have the overhead display or are you hand calculating? Black smoke is wasted fuel.

A better fix for leaky up pipes is bellowed up pipes...but more expensive.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Thu, April 5th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Whopper Junior

Thanks for the replies
I haven't been able to get a good look at the up pipes, the drivers side one looks dark, but it is hard to tell if it is soot. It is really hard to see the passengers side pipe, but I will try to figure out a better way to look at it. When the truck was stock (I've had it for almost two years and it has been tuned since last October), it seemed like the boost was always a little low, 13-15lbs. After the chip was put in, it made 28lbs. It currently has a diesel site turbo master adjusted to 23-24lbs, and it doesn't seem to have a problem getting there. I guess it might feel like it is taking longer to build that boost though, it's just hard for me to tell. My mileage is hand calculated, mixed driving I see around 17, and just took a 300 mile freeway trip last weekend and got 20mpg at 70mph. I suppose I should just break down and buy AE, since I have been wanting to get it for a while. It's also nice to know what's going on with the engine.
Thanks again
Old Thu, April 5th, 2012, 05:45 PM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

28psi is a little low choy that its good to go that high)...should see 32psi with a performance tune. Have you done a boost leak tester to make sure you have no leaks? I think you could also do a exhaust leak tester....and spray some soapy water on the up pipes and look for bubbles. Up pipes should be a rusty redish/brown color. I have a 3" body lift so I can see pretty goodcway back in the back.

Any other miss than a tuner? Exhaust?
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Thu, April 5th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Whopper Junior

I haven't made a made a boost leak tester, but I will look into it. I was able to get a better look at the passengers side up pipe with the help of a flashlight and mirror, and the top 4 inches or so of the pipe is covered in soot, so I am guessing that is my biggest problem. I'll be ordering some bellowed up-pipes soon. I have been keeping the boost down because I have "read" that it shouldn't be pushed over 25ish pounds, but maybe I'll start playing with it a little more. I have never had the egts over 1100 degrees, but I have never really pushed it since I don't know what I have for a clutch, and I am trying to make it last for now (so far I haven't had a slip, knock on wood). As for mods, I have the tunes, aFe big boost, wicked wheel and turbo master, gutted ebpv, and a straight through muffler on the stock exhaust. Although I think I'll be adding a regulated return when I do the up pipes now.
Thanks again for the help, and hopefully that fixes it!