Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > It's Great to Learn 'Cause Knowledge Is Power! > How to...

How to... This is the place where you can share how to do just about anything NOT related to vehicles! Can you repair your lawnmower? Can you install a garbage disposal? Can you make the best spaghetti sauce ever? Can you figure out Windows 7? Can you build a pine derby car? Can you assemble a bicycle? Please share your knowledge!

Old Wed, March 17th, 2021, 09:57 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

The heads on those 335 series suck. Have had to deal with stuck valves because idiots in the the machine shops don't know how much clearance the valves need in the guides due to poor coolant circulation through the heads. I don't the van drove more then 30 miles before the valves would seize. Thank goodness it was a low compression engine and the valves stuck just out of reach of the pistons.

It's especially fun when you have to pull the heads 3 times (including the original pull) in a damn E-Series. By the third time, all the emissions stuff had been ghosted. I guess the only real advantage of a 335 C/M series is that there are no coolant passages in the intake manifold, so they are a breeze to yank. Heads are heavy as crap, though.

Ah, the days of doing actual wrench work.

Can't wait for the next build!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, March 19th, 2021, 06:31 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

The next victim.

It took about 45 minutes to make engine mounts and get this turd bolted on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210319_171241.jpg (1.05 MB, 6 views)
Old Fri, March 26th, 2021, 04:24 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Had it running a few times over the last couple of days. It was finally nice enough to degrease it and clean all of the pigeon poop off of it.

Why is it that stock cams and exhaust manifolds make an engine sound so crappy?

https://rumble.com/vf2tdb-400-ford-on-run-stand.html
Old Sat, March 27th, 2021, 08:24 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

I put that 400 on Craigslist and sold it for $700 in less than a day.

Old Mon, March 29th, 2021, 05:19 AM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Since we're on the subject, you don't have any extra 385 or FE engines you'd want to part with, do you? I want to build something for the Bronco and while I have a 335 I can build into a 400, I'd rather just have something better to start with.

Let me know.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Mon, March 29th, 2021, 06:40 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Since we're on the subject, you don't have any extra 385 or FE engines you'd want to part with, do you? I want to build something for the Bronco and while I have a 335 I can build into a 400, I'd rather just have something better to start with.

Let me know.
You know that shipping will cost an arm and a leg....maybe both arms. Who knows?

I have three good rebuildable (i.e. "running when pulled") FEs, two 390s and one 360. I have a 352 that needs a total overhaul, and then this last rebuilt 390 (from the video) but I'm not sure if I want to let that one go.

As far as 385 series stuff, I have a later tall deck block, with a '79 crank (with counterweight and weighted flywheel - no proper flexplate), a 460 short block that needs standard machine work, two complete mid-70's "running when pulled" but no clue as to any problems, and a '68 429 4V...but that one isn't for sale.

My curiosity has been piqued about building a 430+ inch 335 series with 10.0:1 but then a person has to fix all of the oiling issues and find heads - I hear Edelbrock makes a set of aluminum ones.

Again, I'm not sure how much freight would be on any of this stuff....probably way more than anything you could just find locally.
Old Tue, March 30th, 2021, 08:54 AM

The problem around here is that any of the old iron gets bought up pretty quickly. Anything from the '60s and '70s is pretty difficult to find, and they want an arm and leg for it when you can find something.

A buildable late '60s FE or 429 would be an ideal score. I'll just keep poking around. If all else fails, there's always this option...

https://bearblockmotors.com/

Aluminum FE blocks and heads! Just a tad on the pricey side, though. But at least it's a true side-oiler setup.

(678) 890-1110

Old Mon, May 31st, 2021, 03:03 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Next victim.

1968 429 that has been in the shed for a number of years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210531_120101.jpg (1.03 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20210531_120130.jpg (1.30 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20210531_120213.jpg (674.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20210531_120231.jpg (1.20 MB, 5 views)
Old Tue, June 1st, 2021, 11:44 AM

Oooo That's gonna be a fun one!

(678) 890-1110

Old Tue, June 1st, 2021, 04:12 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Well for as long as it's been sitting (in a building but not covered) on its side with no spark plugs in it......

The heads are coming off first just to see if the cylinders are able to be run as-is. There was a rag stuffed in the intake, but it's long since deteriorated to dust so I'm sure there's been a mouse home or two in there. The oil that came out of the pan looked great though......

Dad and I dismantled a 74 F100 this Sunday too. Married C6/205 behind a 3.5" stroke FE of some sort. C4 head on one side, C8 on the other, and a C6 casting on the block. Either it's a 352 or someone wasted their time putting different heads and a 4V intake on a 360; not that there's any difference in 95% of the FE "low-perf" heads' valves or combustion chamber sizes so I'm not too concerned about the heads. Besides emission controls and hardened seats, they're all the same. I'm not pulling the pan to look at piston skirts or heads to measure the bore.