Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Fri, September 25th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Owner of the green turtle

97xl is on a distinguished road
Default Will I need a new tune??

My first post but I know some of you from other forums. Anyway on to my issue.

First the truck info/bolt-on mods I've done so far.

97 XL 4.2L V6 4r70w 3.08 Non LS, General Grabber UHP 265/70r16s, AF1 CAI, ASP UDP, Cherry Bomb Vortex SIDO catback, Maggie Hiflow Cats, Troyer tuned 94 performance.

Now the issue I have is after lowering the rear 2" with drop shackles the truck has developed a very slight bouncy feel. Had them check the pinion angle and it's only 0.5 degrees off which is ok. My mechanic took off the inspection cover of the rear diff and the spider gears badly pitted, one even has a visible crack and they have waayyyy too much play in them. I was hoping to put this mod off until next year but seeing that crack makes me nervous. So I've ordered a Tru-Trac LS and 3.73 gears.

My question is since my Troyer tune was made for the 3.08s & open diff will I need to get a new tune or could I make the changes with the Xcal3? I'd normally stick with the same tuner but I don't want to drive 10+ weeks with the wrong tune.
Old Fri, September 25th, 2009, 12:42 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I am not to familier with the xcal3 but it should have a "custom option" menu where you can change the gears and save the change with out effecting the custom tune.
If you have the manual it should tell you in there.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sat, September 26th, 2009, 06:24 PM

These are the only things it will let me change.

Global Spark
WOT A/F
Rev Limit
Idle Speed
WOT Shift
Shift.

There's very limited things you can mess with for the 97s.
Old Sat, September 26th, 2009, 07:00 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Then I have to say you DO want new tunes. Sorry!

With the new gears your speedometer and odometer will be "off", which is no HUGE deal, but your shift points aren't right either. They're commanded by a combination of speed and throttle position. So, since the truck's speed is wrong, they happen at the wrong time.

I'm sure it's all something you could live with, but I imagine you tuned your truck for a reason, and that reason is not "halfway performance".

But, I've just had a thought, which may negate everything I've said above. Your truck MAY have a more "direct drive" if that makes any sense from the speed sensor to the speedometer. I'm thinking now that the PCM doesn't even get into the act in your MY truck here, and a tune may not be able to adjust the speed. But, when you get the new axle, they can install different gears on the speed sensor so that it will send correct speed and distance information to - "wherever" (sorry, I'm not really sure how your system works - I know it's not a mechanical cable, but I don't think the PCM controls the speedo.

However, the PCM and the speedo DO get their speed information from somewhere, so all you have to do is make sure that information is correct. If it is, then your tune is fine with the new gears and you won't have any speed or distance errors.

Find out from the shop doing the swap what happens with the speed and distance indications.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, September 26th, 2009, 07:08 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97xl View Post
These are the only things it will let me change.

Global Spark
WOT A/F
Rev Limit
Idle Speed
WOT Shift
Shift.

There's very limited things you can mess with for the 97s.
Yes it looks very limited.

Lars

Last edited by 88Racing; Sun, September 27th, 2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old Sat, September 26th, 2009, 07:12 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Yes it looks very limited.

Lars
Lars, I went back and changed my mind. See what I added. And, I think the latter part is more correct. I think this is why he has no speed correction capability with this unit.

- Jack

Last edited by 88Racing; Sun, September 27th, 2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old Sat, September 26th, 2009, 07:18 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Lars, I went back and changed my mind. See what I added. And, I think the latter part is more correct. I think this is why he has no speed correction capability with this unit.

- Jack
Oh
So a new gear requires a new speedometer gear to compensate for them?
97xl will have to look for a speedometer gear correction kit.

Lars

Old Sat, September 26th, 2009, 08:22 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Oh
So a new gear requires a new speedometer gear to compensate for them?
97xl will have to look for a speedometer gear correction kit.

Lars
Yup! I think that is the RIGHT approach. I vaguely remember reading something about this in the not so distant past, when my brain cells were more active. And, I'd think this would be a trivial addition to a gear mod, wouldn't you? I'd be surprised if the installers of the gears, didn't include it in the work order.

- Jack
Old Sat, September 26th, 2009, 10:52 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Yup! I think that is the RIGHT approach. I vaguely remember reading something about this in the not so distant past, when my brain cells were more active. And, I'd think this would be a trivial addition to a gear mod, wouldn't you? I'd be surprised if the installers of the gears, didn't include it in the work order.

- Jack
They must have let it slip their minds also?
Good catch

Lars

Last edited by 88Racing; Sun, September 27th, 2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old Mon, September 28th, 2009, 12:53 AM

I know I can't adjust the speedo with the programmer, needs to be done by swapping out the VSS gear. Just wondering if I'll need a new tune to make the shift points correct. Last thing I wanna do is go messing with the shifts in the programmer and make things worse. It should be liveable until I can get new tunes. Right now the speedo gear is set for stock tire size of 235/70r16 and since my winters are 255 and summers are 265 it was already off to begin with but that didn't seem to make a difference with the tune(when I had the tune made I put 255s as the tire size on Troyers order form.) Guess I'll just wait till PHP is open again and find out the details.

Thanks for the info.