Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped F-Series and F-Super Duty

Old Sun, February 21st, 2010, 08:58 PM
Whopper

sgg is on a distinguished road
Default What tunes you OBS guys running?

OK, guys. I'm trying to figure out the best tunes for my truck. It's a 95 F350 dually, 7.3, auto, 4.10, DIY intake, Rosewood stage 1 injectors, 3" dp, 4" exhaust (no cat), EGT & boost gauges. I drive it daily (30 miles round trip) and tow a 35 foot 5th wheel that weighs about 8000 lbs. I'm gonna order a Phoenix chip and switch. I'm wondering what those of you with similar trucks are running and what your favorite settings are. Also wondering which tow tune(s) I should get. Let me know what you think, please.
Old Sun, February 21st, 2010, 09:21 PM
Nothin' Stock

majek5 is on a distinguished road

Definately get the heavy tow. As for other tunes, high idle is nice, and of course the performance tunes. The dd tunes will prolly be the best bet for mileage, if you can keep yer foot out of it.

stock...
Old Sun, February 21st, 2010, 11:06 PM
Duty, Honor, Country

ChuckD will become famous soon enough

My tunes are
1) 40 tow (heavy)
2) 65 Performance
3) Smoke show (don't work well as I have stock injectors)
4) High Idle (1100 RPM)
5) Whisper mode (works great in the drive threw)
6) Anti-theft

My mods are exhaust, and intake. I am very happy with what I have because they compliment the way I drive. And I tow anywhere between 4000 to 10,000 on occasion.
2004 Explorer Limited
A veteran is someone who, at one point in one's life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author Unknown
Old Mon, February 22nd, 2010, 12:40 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

I've got a 5-speed but here are my tunes.

1. Stock
2. 1300 rpm hi idle
3. 1100 rpm hi idle
4. 40hp Tow
5. 65hp performance
6. Whisper

I've got the Minotaur package so I can reburn but I haven't had enough reason to do that yet. When I do I'll probably take out the 1300 rpm and put in a no-start or lope. Even with a manual, its nice having the tow program for pulling with the less aggressive pedal feel over the performance tune. I'm limited with stock injectors, I see you have stage 1s so you should be good for close to 100hp.
Old Thu, February 25th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Whopper

Thanks, guys. That's good info for me to think about. But surely there are other early Powerstrokers on this forum. I'd sure like to hear from some more of you!
Old Thu, March 4th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Whopper

strokin'_tatsch is on a distinguished road

i don't run any of Bill's tunes, but if your the kind of guy that likes to let your truck warm up before driving it or leave your truck idling a lot and stuff then you may want an 1100 hi idle tune.

on the other tunes if you tow quite a bit then get the heavy tow or if you sometimes tow more than 12,500lbs then go with extremely heavy tow.

i would get the 65hp daily tune for increased mileage, but you may like a little more power for everyday driving like i do so mine is a little stronger than that. the 100 performance would be good if you wanted a little more power with little smoke output. get the 120hp street race for playing with ricers on the street. haha. Definitely get the 140hp extreme tune for when you don't care about smoke output and just wanna tear the tires up.

One thing about Bill's tunes i've noticed is that none of his tunes are like crazy smokey like mine are which is a good thing, i'm just dumb and like the smoke. Bill's tunes are conservative down low the best i can tell to reduce smoke and once the turbo comes on then they go.

my 6 position has an econo tune, daily tune, heavy tow, street race, extreme, and smoke on it. don't think Bill has an econo tune though so you can put something else there like hi idle or whisper tune for the drive thrus.
Travis-- Death Row Diesel Inmate #7
1995 Ford F-250 regular cab long bed PSD
MODS- 6637, TE modded 17*, Rosewood 160/80's, Tony's tunes, HPX, 120v IDM, 3" DP to 5" stacks, CPR fuel system, DRD traction bars, ISSPRO EV2's, scan guage, VALAIR full ceramic clutch, Midwest short throw shift kit

381hp/870tq
14.32 @ 97mph

Old Mon, June 14th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Whopper

OK... too much downtime, but I had a cracked bearing housing on the turbo and it was blowing oil into the intake as well as leaking oil. But thanks to Ron @ Ron's Turbo (awesome guy, superb service, knows what he's doing!!!), I've got it back together and installed my Phoenix. I knew it was going to be awesome, but MAN! 65hp Tow is cool. You can feel the extra torque, but it's mild other than the much delayed shift points. 80hp DD is really fun off the line. It blows out a lot of smoke (more than I really wanted) if you floor it off idle, and then takes off hard! 100hp Performance is AWESOME!!! Doesn't take off quite as hard as 80hp DD and not much smoke, but HOLD ON! It sets you back in the seat and doesn't let up as long as you keep the pedal down!!! 90mph in no time, and it still feels like it's just taking off!!! THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING 'BOUT!!! Can't wait to get the 5th wheel behind it & see what that's like! Thanks guys! I don't think I could be more pleased with my setup!
Old Sun, May 8th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Whopper

toad is on a distinguished road
Default tunes

80 daily,40 tow, and 60 tow

Last edited by toad; Sun, May 8th, 2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: wrong post