Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1983 to 1994˝ 7.3L and 6.9L IDI

1983 to 1994˝ 7.3L and 6.9L IDI Got one of those old mechanical injected 7.3L or 6.9L trucks? This is the place for you!

Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road
Default The old IDI's

Hey, just thought I'd get some discussion about the pre-Powerstrokes going. I used to have one. It was a '92 F-250 ext. cab long box. 7.3l and E4OD with 4.10 gears. I miss the naturally aspirated v-8 diesel sound of it, but I do like the turbo diesel v-8 sound of the Powerstroke a bit better. It was an awesome truck, got a high mpg of over 20! Usually it was around 18. Put the stacks on myself. Did some injection pump adjustment too. She's gone now, but I'm sure the buyer has been very happy with it.

Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 05:24 PM
addicted

kokopellimotorsports is on a distinguished road

Well it is nice to see the "never" gone in the column.

My cousin has a 7.3 IDI and likes it. It pulls really well, he just wants some more power. It already has an ATS turbo kit on it, even though it still doesn't sound like a modern powerstroke.

Ty

Tuning is addicting. Lol.
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 06:28 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Good lookin' pup too! Is he/she one of those ones that likes to ride with his/her "Head out the window and ears in the breeze gently blowin'?" (A line for an old C.W. McCall song called "Sloan", for those youngsters who missed out).

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 06:40 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
...likes to ride with his/her "Head out the window and ears in the breeze gently blowin'?" (A line for an old C.W. McCall song called "Sloan", for those youngsters who missed out).

- Jack
Was that before or after he did "Convoy"? Much to Corey's chagrin, I love that song "Convoy". When I was a kid, I used to dream about driving big trucks because they were SOOOO cool. I still think they're neat and enjoy talking to the truckers on long road trips.

Oh, BTW... Nice looking rig there. The stacks really make the truck look nice and tough. My neighbor had a 92 Dually with the stacks and the "wing" on the roof, although he never pulled a trailer. Just though it looked cool.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 08:36 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Was that before or after he did "Convoy"? Much to Corey's chagrin, I love that song "Convoy". When I was a kid, I used to dream about driving big trucks because they were SOOOO cool. I still think they're neat and enjoy talking to the truckers on long road trips.
Convoy, was what made him famous. He did a bunch of others and I can't tell you which came first. I think I have every record he made. "Sloan" was a companion song to "Old Home Filler-Up & Keep on A-Truckin' Cafe", another one I liked a lot.

Sloan, was a hound though, not a pretty little border collie like that one.

I can appreciate your dreaming about driving big rigs. I wanted to be a train engineer when I was a kid. My Dad used to take us out to see the big cab forward go by on the Donner Pass line when I was young. The engineer would wave and toot the horn to us. Here's a link to a picture of one: http://www.yesteryeardepot.com/SP4142.JPG It was a HUGE locomotive!

- Jack
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 09:52 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Ah, the old locomotives. 2 Sets of drive axles as opposed to the single set of the earlier steam engines we all see in those old westerns. Not quite as sexy, but sure made a heck of a lot of torque.

I am still amazed at the sheer engineering marvel of things like this, considering all design, machining and assembly was done by hand. We live in a fantastic age!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 10:17 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopellimotorsports View Post

My cousin has a 7.3 IDI and likes it. It pulls really well, he just wants some more power. It already has an ATS turbo kit on it, even though it still doesn't sound like a modern powerstroke.

Ty
Believe it or not, the ATS and Banks "Sidewinder" turbo'd IDI trucks would outpull a stock 1st gen. Powerstroke in the lower RPM ranges due to the higher compression ratio. It certainly is surprising how much difference it makes 'downgrading' to 17.5:1 compression ratio of the PSD vs. 21:1 of the IDI when there isn't any boost involved.
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 10:41 PM
addicted

kokopellimotorsports is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Believe it or not, the ATS and Banks "Sidewinder" turbo'd IDI trucks would outpull a stock 1st gen. Powerstroke in the lower RPM ranges due to the higher compression ratio. It certainly is surprising how much difference it makes 'downgrading' to 17.5:1 compression ratio of the PSD vs. 21:1 of the IDI when there isn't any boost involved.
I have heard that the compression ratio in diesels makes a huge difference. I just don't know the exact statistics on this.

Tuning is addicting. Lol.
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

The pup in the picture loves to ride, she doesn't stick her head out the window. I think her ears are kind of sensitive. She's an austrailian shepherd-border collie mix. One of her eye's are half blue-half brownn.

I've also heard stock vs. stock that a 7.3 IDI turbo will outwork the 7.3 Powerstroke by people who have driven both. The IDI is easier and cheaper to get a 'little' more out of it with the mechanical pump, but if your going for anything more than adjusting the spring limiting screw will do, the Powerstroke would be the way to go.

Last edited by F-127; Wed, February 4th, 2009 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Screwed up the dog's eye color
Old Thu, February 5th, 2009, 07:22 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-127 View Post

I've also heard stock vs. stock that a 7.3 IDI turbo will outwork the 7.3 Powerstroke by people who have driven both. The IDI is easier and cheaper to get a 'little' more out of it with the mechanical pump, but if your going for anything more than adjusting the spring limiting screw will do, the Powerstroke would be the way to go.
I don't know if you're talking about the late 93 7.3L turbo (factory), but those are turds....and purposefully made so. Ford KNEW they had something up their sleeves (Powerstroke), so they had the 7.3L IDI turbo severely detuned as not to "outshine" their upcoming flagship truck.

The turbocharger on the early IDI turbo was very undersized for the engine. I think it would be a great charger for a 255 gasser (remember those atrocities? Think mid-eighties) so the "turbo" was actually more of a gimmick to get people to buy one....and at least stay up to date with the Dodges and their 4-year old Cummins. I won't even acknowledge the 6.5L GM boat anchor.

The turbo on the 7.3L was limited to 3-4 PSI of boost from the factory. But with the higher compression ratio, low end off-idle torque was significantly better than the upcoming PSD. However, being that Ford had life expectancy expectations of the "new" IDI turbo, gains were to be had by modification. However, the turbine housing was a huge restriction to exhaust flow and the compressor was grossly undersized. Usually heat was the only real winner when modifying one......as was blown turbochargers due to overspeeding and drive pressure issues.

I'll disagree on the "The IDI is easier and cheaper to get a 'little' more out of it with the mechanical pump" comment only because it takes little more than a ten cent resistor and 15 minutes to bring a PSD to life.