Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2008 to 2010 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

2008 to 2010 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty

Old Sat, December 13th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Big J

jasfaa is on a distinguished road
Default Gryphon on 6.4

I have the Gryphon on my 6.4 and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the unit locking up while driving. The stats lock up and I hit menu twice and it seems to work again. It is occurring with more frequency. Thoughts?
Old Sun, December 14th, 2008, 02:57 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Hey there...

This is the first I've heard about this happening on a 6.4L truck and it is definitely not cool. If you don't mind, I have a few questions that may help figure out what's going on.
  1. Does it occur after a specific amount of driving?
  2. What PIDs are you currently monitoring? (ie. EOT, TFT, RPM, etc.)
  3. Does it occur with specific PIDs and not others?
  4. Could it be related to possible temperature shift? What I mean is has it occurred more frequently as it got colder?
  5. Does it occur more frequently when driving, sitting still, or any time it feels like it?
  6. How often is "frequently"? Once a day? Once a week? Once an hour?
Any other information you could provide would really be helpful.

If anyone else is having this problem, PLEASE let us know. If there's an issue, we definitely want it resolved.

Thanks.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, December 15th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Big J

Does it occur after a specific amount of driving? No it is not after a certain amount of time of driving. Usually within 15 minutes I notice that it is not changing when it has occurred

What PIDs are you currently monitoring? (ie. EOT, TFT, RPM, etc.)
EGT,Load,Boost and tranny

Does it occur with specific PIDs and not others? All PID's are affected that i am monitoring. I have not tried switching because I only really monitor the ones listed. In other words all of the ones I monitor are locked up until I hit Menu.

Could it be related to possible temperature shift? What I mean is has it occurred more frequently as it got colder? I live in the Seattle area. we are pretty temperate. 50 Degrees until today and then it went to 30. I would say it is not temp related.

Does it occur more frequently when driving, sitting still, or any time it feels like it?
Not really sure since i only drive once in a while. i would say two or three times a week when i drive regularly. i don't drive every day but it has happened both times when I drive for a long time. Email me if you have questions on this. I still need to submit my SN on my unit and just have not done it yet.
Old Mon, December 15th, 2008, 02:11 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

If you don't mind, could you completely change the monitored PIDs and see if the problem does go away? I have a feeling it may be isolated to one of the PIDs (most likely TFT) and am curious if that helps resolve it.

In any event, if the problems continue we will certainly be happy to replace the unit. I just want to isolate the issue and determine if it is hardware or firmware related.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Mon, December 15th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Big J

I will switch that one to a different one and see if that resolves it. The two I watch are boost and EGT anyway.
Old Sun, December 21st, 2008, 10:01 PM
Big J

It locked up again yesterday until I hit a button. The layout was IAT, Regen, Boost and EGT. It is easy to hit the menu button and fix it though but wanted you to know nonetheless.
Old Sun, December 21st, 2008, 10:22 PM

Okay, that should eliminate tranny temp then. When it locks up, do the numbers just freeze or do they go to zero?

I think I'll lay one up here on the bench and see what happens.

(678) 890-1110

Old Wed, December 24th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Big J

It locks up on whatever numbers the computer is posting at the time. I think this last time the egt was 282 and the turbo boost was 2, regen off and I don't know what the other one was on. Hope this helps and have a great Christmas.
Old Wed, December 24th, 2008, 09:33 PM

Very helpful! I'm weeding through some code and hope to find something.

One more question... do you have any kind of an alarm or remote startup device installed?

Take care and Merry Christmas to you as well.

(678) 890-1110