Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Upgrade your Evo

Upgrade your Evo Upgrade your Edge Evolution to a Gryphon Programmer to allow for custom tuning and additional functionality.

Due to issues with the cable failures due to incompatible versions of firmware, we do not offer upgrades
or tuning for the 1997-2003 F-Series gas or 7.3L diesel trucks. We recommend using another platform.

Old Sun, March 14th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Bacon King

DarkShadowSTX is on a distinguished road

Sensitivity was high for levels 2 and 3, but that is normal because the Edge is supposed to get rid of the throttle lag. In level 2 or 3, I had to watch when I back up in a parking lot because the truck moved quick and I would also spin out in my gravel driveway easily without trying. The last time I got the code, I was going between modes and had the sensitive throttle on level 1, which I had never experienced before because 1 was only supposed to change the tranny shifts. Was there ever a tranny code or anything like that that ever appeared with the p061f? My Edge was sent in and now I'm waiting for my Gryphon to be shipped out with canned tunes only because I have read that Bill writes better canned tunes than Edge and I was hoping that the Gryphon would work better with my PCM and that my code issue was just with the Edge.
Old Sun, March 14th, 2010, 06:30 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Good info gentlemen now hopefully Bill will see this.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sun, March 14th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Whopper

Roller is on a distinguished road

That was the way I felt about Level 1 as well but sure enough my throttle was super sensitive. Not all that big of a problem once you get used to it, just didn't expect it is all. I got the P061F error several times(more than a dozen) before I ever received a transmission error. After all the P061F errors I started to hear the whining from the transmission, then about a week later the dash light came on with a flashing transmission error. The Evo never threw any kind of transmission error though. I'd love to hear if the Gryphon works out better for you Shadow. I, too, hope for the same...just an Evo/PCM issue.
Old Sun, March 14th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Bacon King

I'll find out hopefully by the end of the month. Was the transmission whine constant? I would like to know what to look or listen for so my tranny doesn't go out on me. I have only had the code come up about 10 times total. Once you would get the p061f code, would you put it back in stock or what did you do each time? Also, before your tranny went, did you ever get the p061f code in stock mode? Thanks for everything. I am glad that I now know that I'm not the only one that has had this recurring code issue.
Old Sun, March 14th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Whopper

Once the whine started it was most likely constant but I could only hear it at low RPM due to my exhaust, road noise and wind noise, etc. If it weren't for driving down my alley with the windows down I might not have even heard it. It was a very subtle sound. When the P061F error would occur, most of the time I would just restart the truck. Sometimes I'd reprogram but normally just the restart and continue on. Oh and when that error does happen the truck is practically a paperweight. Feels like it's running on one cylinder or something. So I'd limp over to the side of the road or into a parking lot and restart. The error has never occurred in stock.

Looking forward to hearing about the Gryphon!
Old Sun, March 14th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Bacon King

I'm excited too. Driving in stock mode sucks. I've been in stock for at least 2 months now.
Old Sat, April 3rd, 2010, 01:05 PM
Bacon King

Got my Gryphon on Wed. and have not had the p061f code pop up. I only got the canned tunes for now but I think I'll send in my order for a custom tune this weekend. I did get the code p061b, which I've never seen before, on the second day but cleared it and have not had a problem since and it's about 250 miles later. That code means Powertrain: Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance. I searched it on this forum and a few other people had this happen. It is supposed to appear right after the tow tune is loaded and the truck is started. I got the code about 40 miles after the tune was loaded and my truck went into limp mode just like with the p061f. Some replies to the threads on this issue stated that it happens with the canned tow tune, immediately following a loaded tune, and with a cold air intake. Everything basically applied to my situation. It was 40 miles after the loading of the tune but it was right when I started my truck and when I was pulling up a hill to get out of a driveway. Bill had stepped on a few of those and said that it was most likely because of running the tow tune with a CAI and that a custom tune will fix it. So for now I'm going to fill up this weekend with 93 and try that tune but I'll be waiting for my custom 87 perf tune to be done. Don't worry, I'll keep you guys updated.
Old Mon, January 10th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Whopper

So I know it has been a while for this thread to have any life on it but I'm really interested in hearing an update from Shadow. Did Bill work his mojo with the Gryphon and all is good?

I ask cuz I sent my EVO in last week for a Gryphon and a custom tune. I'm hoping this will clean up the P061F error.
Old Tue, January 11th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Bacon King

All is great man. I first started with an 87 perf tune. No codes have ever popped up to this day. Now I have the 87 perf tune as well as an 87 tow and 93 perf. All tunes work great and having no codes is the best part. Bill does an amazing job and is also very helpful. You should also have no problem once you get your custom tunes, Bill knows what he is doing and is very good at it. Once you get past the long wait to get the Gryphon and tunes, (I waited at least 3 weeks 3 separate times myself), you will be very happy with the results.
Old Tue, January 11th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Come Get Some

hampsterzone is on a distinguished road

Trust you me bro, these guys have their ducks in a tight row! And if they don't have the answer they most definitely do their best to get it. My suggestion is, listen and be descriptive to save time. As for me, I have no idea how to fix your problem. But I am with you on having concerns. Good luck!

2012 FX4 Waldoch M80 Edition Supercrew, 3.5L Ecoboost, Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Road Armor Grill Guard, huge smile!