Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2008 to 2010 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

2008 to 2010 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty

Old Mon, May 18th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Double Whopper

08FX4RBP is on a distinguished road
Default What HP Tune to run?

What HP tune would be safe to run on the streets for a daily driven vehicle?

Last edited by cleatus12r; Sat, June 6th, 2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old Mon, May 18th, 2009, 11:17 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

Not sure what options Bill has for the 6.4 but the 7.3 really does well on the 80 and 100HP tunes around town. I use the 100 quite a bit because it has great throttle response of the line and at light throttle. Crusing, I run the Fuel Sipper which is similar to the 80HP tune with some fuel and shift point mods... Plus my own mods I made to that tune. The 80 and 100HP are very similar if you are not laying into the throttle all the time.. There are several comment on the forum from folks who really like the 80HP for a daily driver
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Tue, May 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Double Whopper

08FX4RBP is on a distinguished road

Currently im running the 100 hp/180 tq tune around town and seems to be running good. How often do these truck usually go into regen??
Old Mon, May 25th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Big J

jasfaa is on a distinguished road

I run mine on the highest factory tune. Can't remember what that HP is anymore but it gives me the best performance as well as fuel mileage. (17 to 18 mpg on highway). My only issue has been tranny ones at this level. The electronics in the tranny seem to have an issue with this power level and make it shift funny even after the latest updates from Ford. not sure what to do about it but right now I am too busy to look into it further.
Old Mon, May 25th, 2009, 10:37 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

From what this gasser understands is the 80 or 100 tunes are probably the best choice for DD out there.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, May 25th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Big J

The lower tunes do not improve fuel mileage from what I understand and personal experience. This has been true on all of the chips out there.
Old Mon, May 25th, 2009, 11:29 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasfaa View Post
The lower tunes do not improve fuel mileage from what I understand and personal experience. This has been true on all of the chips out there.
Agreed, but what the common every day person would like to run is not the max hp program available. The 80+100 tunes have better throttle response than stock. Agreed also that the max hp program is going to be even be bettr than this.
Problems with your tranny? Have you put it back to stock to see if it does it there too? Or like you said ford's "updates"?

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, May 25th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Big J

the issue is at all levels but most noticeable at the highest tune. What I do is disconnect both battery cables and then the "intelligent" POS resets and all is good for a while. I think the way to go on this thing is an engine and tranny tune. The learning capability of these things seems to be an issue. This is my first auto in a diesel and I am not impressed. I do drive in flat and then mountainous terrain though so it is probably partially my driving habits too. With my 6 speed manual this was never an issue.

As for the tunes, I found the highest was better than the stock, economy, towing and the first power setting. I tried all of them on a 10 hour round trip drive I was doing over and over and I would switch each time I went. for me it is either stock or the top tune it came with. The others just did not seem to do much on mileage which is why I bought it to begin with.
Old Tue, May 26th, 2009, 02:43 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Regen frequency depends on which calibration series you are running. Older cals seemed to regen less frequently, but for longer periods of time. The new ones regen more often but for shorter periods.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, May 26th, 2009, 02:46 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Jason,

What is the current calibration version you're running? We have an update coming out in a couple days that helps address some of those shifting issues and seems to be a bit better on economy as well.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!