Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2008 to 2010 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

2008 to 2010 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty

Old Sun, July 26th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Whopper Junior

dukeofoil is on a distinguished road
Default 2008 F350 - 6.4L

I've had this 2008 F350 - 6.4L since 2007, 95% of the driving is for towing our 5th wheel. Been reading some on upgrading the Air intake and chipping.
Anyone have any good tips ?
Old Sun, July 26th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Double Whopper

John Anderson is on a distinguished road

Yes. I just got an update from one of my customers who has on 08 F550. He used to get 8-9 mpg around town and 6 mpg towing his horse trailer. We did the following mods: S&B Cold Air Intake, DPF delete into 5" exhaust, and PHP Gryphon programmer. He told me yesterday his around town mileage is now 16-17 mpg and he has been getting 14 mpg towing.

The 6.4's are really nice trucks when they are done right.
Old Sun, August 2nd, 2009, 07:05 AM
Double Whopper

jfuller5 will become famous soon enough
Default 6.4l 2009 F350

Hey John , Any results from a 6.4 liter with Gryphon and possible a S&B intake alone? I dont want to / cant afford dpf delete and exhaaust. Lookin to improve gas mileage. Thanks Jim
Old Sun, August 2nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Most of our customers have seen 2-4 MPG with just the programmer and a CAI. However, a few have had problems setting a CEL when running a CAI although S&B seems to be the least problematic of the CAI kits.

Mileage gains also rely heavily on which gears you have and how much of your driving is spent on highway vs. city. Lower gears (4.30 & 4.88) are always going to do poorly and the gains generally aren't as impressive as the taller geared versions. Also, 4x4 and dually trucks fare worse as well. Just some things to think about.

Hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, August 2nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Double Whopper

Hey Bill, What do you recccomend, I know the Gryphon but do you reccomennd a CAI or should i stay away fron one? 2009 F350 4x4 Crew Cab short box 3:73 20 inch rubber bone stock.Used as daily driver and hauling 3000 lb slide in truck camper pulling small Tin boat. Thanks Jim
Old Sun, August 2nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

The thing is, the stock airbox really stinks. But like I mentioned, a few folks have had difficulty with a CAI and the occasional CEL so I am a bit torn in recommending one. The S&B has been the least troublesome and if I was going to use one, that would be my choice. Folks that have run it have noted some economy gains (about 1 mpg) just with the CAI.

If you do decide to go with one, make sure you get a money back guarantee. If it doesn't work, send it back. At least you're no worse for the wear.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, August 4th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Whopper Junior

diesel71 is on a distinguished road

jim i installed a few s & b"s on the 6.4"s with no check engine lights.
they seem to work fine and install is easy. I installed a BD super scoop CAI on my 6.4 and would not recommend one for a daily driver, the BD kit works great and does everything they claim but anything thats in the air WILL get scooped right into the airfilter,snow/bugs/water. Im going to change mine over to the s & b. just my opinion but instaling a CAI dont give x-amount of hp/tq it just removes a restriction and releases what the engine can produce.
Old Tue, August 4th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Double Whopper

Thanks for the info!!