Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Mon, May 7th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Whopper Junior

Stroker7 is on a distinguished road
Default 7.3 vs 5.9

So I am ordering a phoenix chip and will have a 4 inch straight pipe to my 7.3. My buddy has a 24v 5.9 with a 4 inch straight pipe and edge with juice. He wants to have a tug of war with me. Who do you think will win?
Old Mon, May 7th, 2012, 02:51 PM
tech man

StripperDJ is on a distinguished road

Which ever one of you dont break something first.
Old Mon, May 7th, 2012, 04:25 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Tug a war is all about driver and available traction.

Who's truck is heavier?
Old Mon, May 7th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907DAVE View Post
Tug a war is all about driver and available traction.

Who's truck is heavier?
x2, a friend of mine would slide elevator weights under the bed to help weigh it down.
Old Mon, May 7th, 2012, 07:01 PM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

X3...also depends on how its geared and if dualky or single wheel. With no weights a single wheel will pull a dually, due to weight more distributed on a dually and won't get as good of traction.

Even match, I say the dodge. Inline engines are built for pulling especially at lower rpms.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Mon, May 7th, 2012, 08:57 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammertide07 View Post
Inline engines are built for pulling especially at lower rpms.
I'm not trying to single you out, but where in the world does this idea come from?

It's false. There are attributes that an inline six cylinder has that make it a nicer-running engine, but there is no validity in the "more low-end" argument.
Old Mon, May 7th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
I'm not trying to single you out, but where in the world does this idea come from?

It's false. There are attributes that an inline six cylinder has that make it a nicer-running engine, but there is no validity in the "more low-end" argument.

I was told something to that effect when I was buying my first truck. Before I considered the full sized F150s I was looking at the Rangers. The salesman (yeah I know, real valid source ) told me the inline engines were able to produce more power, more efficiently than the V style engines when the given displacement remains the same (more power per pound pretty much). I think it is a common misconception coupled with inline engines usually also having lower gearing.
Old Tue, May 8th, 2012, 07:25 AM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post

I'm no "inline vs V engine" expert. I read statments such as these and they seem to know what they are talking about...

"For the same displacment an inline will have a broader torque curve because 6 cylinders is all they have. (Anymore and the crankshaft will twist.) Because there are fewer cylinders the stroke and/or bore is larger. Ususally the stroke gets the bigger increase and increases torque when compared to the same size V-8.
Also most larger inline 6's are developed for trucks were hood height and engine bay width aren't a problem like in a car so the can use longer rods which broaden the torque curve."

"The rods on an inline doesn't share a rod journal with another rod on the crankshaft like the V's.
Each rod is also supported by their own pair of main bearings.

Powerwise, a V8 has a power stroke every 90 degrees of crankshaft rotation.
The inline 6 has a power stroke every 120 degrees of crankshaft rotation."

"The long rod inline engine also has less side thrust on the piston and more room for the rings on the piston compared to a V-8 because of packaging room in the engine compartment.
I suspect the reason the change to a V-8 on the 1500 is to meet emission and fuel economy standards for light duty trucks after thinking about it. The V-8 might use a more efficient transmission also, something else to look into."

"I just don't know if I would trust a V8 diesel to last as long and do as well as an turbo'd inline.

My .02,,,

As for the difference between V blocks & Inline's. I'm an EX-Trucker here, I've driven both types and basically found no real difference in diesel engines with EXCEPTION of torque of the inline better. Most semi's today use inline 6 turbocharged over the old V8. BUT,,, I've seen some Vblocks that were modified or custom built for show and no go work. For instance I worked for Werner Enterprises for 5 years. They have built show trucks that are both restored and show rigs. From their gas engine 1956 Ford up to CL-2 with a V16 Detroit Diesel!

22+ years
48 States / 3 Provinces of Canada
2.5 Million miles"

If V8's are better at making torque, why aren't they used in more semi's? Edit: Maybe low end torque is not the best way to say it, but they sure do make a lot of torque for pulling. And dollar for dollar, you can get more power out of a 5.9 (especially 24v) imo. I think the 6.4 is a good continder for that though.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx

Last edited by rammertide07; Tue, May 8th, 2012 at 02:01 PM.