Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Wed, July 4th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Whopper Junior

peteb2424 is on a distinguished road
Default hpop oil crossover line

I was thinking of purchasing an hpx crossover line do any of you guys have this or know anything about them my truck is a 02 f-250 7.3 auto. thanks guys.
Old Wed, July 4th, 2012, 07:51 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteb2424 View Post
I was thinking of purchasing an hpx crossover line do any of you guys have this or know anything about them my truck is a 02 f-250 7.3 auto. thanks guys.

I hope you don't pay too much for one.

It's one of those famous "forum upgrades" that everyone thinks you need.
Old Thu, July 5th, 2012, 11:40 AM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

No its not needed,a lot of things we do to our trucks is not needed. It's not a performance enhancer. But it did quiten my truck down, especially amplified the effects of the whisper tune.I like it and I would reccomend it. $65 from RiffRaff.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Thu, July 5th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Whopper

Joatmon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
I hope you don't pay too much for one.

It's one of those famous "forum upgrades" that everyone thinks you need.
Hi Cleatus could you say what you think about this mod is it worth it what would one gain form it or what would one hurt from it?
You know we do a lot of reading and can only believe what we read but we would like input form people like you.

Thanks
Old Thu, July 5th, 2012, 07:54 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joatmon View Post
Hi Cleatus could you say what you think about this mod is it worth it what would one gain form it or what would one hurt from it?
You know we do a lot of reading and can only believe what we read but we would like input form people like you.

Thanks

I'd never install one. Not that it would hurt anything....except it gives the high pressure oil system three more places to fail (each fitting and the line itself). Trust me, having high pressure oil spraying on the turbine housing is bad news when towing or coming down off of a 1600 degree dyno run. It's mainly just an inconvenience when cruising unloaded and it makes a huge mess.

Many trucks have burned to the ground due to high pressure oil line ruptures (stock lines) under load and I'm not going to give my trucks a reason to have an issue like that. Then again, I'm perfectly happy with OEM equipment and see no need to add ridiculous stuff to my trucks that can lead to reliability problems.

I just find it very frustrating when people on internet forums are instantly suggesting to others that people NEED high pressure crossover lines, "regulated returns", exhaust systems, aftermarket intake systems, aftermarket turbochargers, an aftermarket valve body, tuning from a "custom tuner", etc. when I can take a bone stock truck (save for a stock Ford muffler off of a 1995-1997 Powerstroke and 160/100% injectors with the tuning to run them) and make 400 RWHP all day long. That's a fairly low number by today's standards, but how often does one need more than 300? I guarantee that very few people actually USE the power they make....I know I don't. It's all I wanted seeing as though I have the stock high pressure oil pump, stock down-pipe, and even the stock air cleaner and a Motorcraft filter.

A lot (ok, most) of the things that internet forum experts will tell you are just a regurgitation of what somebody told them they needed after the initial "giver" of the information was told the same thing by somebody else. I don't claim to know it all. In the grand scheme of things, I have very little experience in the high-hp realm. However, I do have an abundance of what some people would say is "common sense". I also have a vast understanding of mechanical systems and most everything automotive related. Very few things are "upgrades" from stock (I can't believe I just used the word "upgrade".... ). Most things that are bought and sold for any vehicle that are not original equipment or are designed as "enhancements" for cars that are offered from the aftermarket are nothing but snake oil.

I guess after this little rant, I can say with utmost certainty that a high pressure oil crossover line may have some merit (BIG "may"). Albeit for me, any difference in engine operation that could be perceived from adding one is heavily shadowed by the fact that there is one more failure point that can rear it's ugly head at any time.
Old Thu, July 5th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Whopper

Joatmon is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your input on this Cleatus