Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Old Wed, July 6th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough
Default New 17HMR

The gun...

I love wood stocked bolt actions. Wouldn't mind a darker reddish stain but I have no way to do that myself.

This is the range. I could have pumped over a million rounds into the groupings the police officers next to me were getting with their ARs.

The groupings I have are not my best ever. I haven't shot ANY rifle since september of last year and that was a single round from my .270...so I'm kinda rusty.

I also decided to get a base line without adjusting the scope or anything besides turning the range finder and magnification.

The first shots, I was twitching quite a bit.
50 yds Hornady

75 yds Hornady

100 yds Hornady

Then I pulled those plates and switched to my box of Winchester just as some officers were showing up for practice.

Winchester 50 yds

Flinched on the first shot and twitched on the second. One of them must have been shooting a 7.62 because the other .223s were not that loud.

Winchester 75 yds

Winchester 100 yds

Then I started making adjustments.

50 yds

You can see it was basically walking until I switched to using one of the mil dots instead of the cross hairs. This also had a mix of ammo so there actually two patterns of groupings in it.

100 yds

Mix of ammo and making adjustments. The 50 yd plate was getting too crowded for sighting in.
Old Thu, July 7th, 2011, 03:35 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Looks good!

Wish I could shoot my 30-6 that many times, about 10 rounds and my shoulder is bruised for the next week.
Old Thu, July 7th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Forum Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907DAVE View Post
Looks good!

Wish I could shoot my 30-6 that many times, about 10 rounds and my shoulder is bruised for the next week.
Yeah, this is the difference...

Can ya tell which is the 30-06? I know they are just soooo close.
Old Fri, July 8th, 2011, 08:57 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

My friend has a 10-22 that he converted into a .17 and it's a hoot for using on those dang gophers.

My dad has a .17 Remington (centerfire .17) upper for his TC and it is absolutely stunning to shoot. He loads them quite "hot" so they are FAST.

Sweet little rifle, dude!

By the way, is that a GM product key fob I see in the second picture? TRAITOR!!!

A couple of my friends came out on Wednesday night and we blew some stuff up with Tannerite. I think we went through 7 or 8 lbs. of the stuff. I was shooting the rifle that my dad made for me back when I was 12 for my first hunting season. I haven't shot it since high school. I forgot just how sweet it is (and he always talked about how he wished he'd kept it). It's nothing special, but it's a Ruger M77 .243 that only weighs 6.5 lbs. I was only 4 feet tall at 12 years old and probably in the 70 lb. range.....so I needed a small rifle. I remember when any bullet over 75 grains in that rifle would just KILL my shoulder.
Old Fri, July 8th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Forum Predator

I officially cleaned it yesterday. The barrel was very dirty. I'm thinking the original owner never cleaned it before sending it off to me. I tried cleaning it when I got it but all I had was gun oil and some old patches. Put some Hoppes No. 9 and got all kinds of crud out. It ought to be shooting very good groups now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
My friend has a 10-22 that he converted into a .17 and it's a hoot for using on those dang gophers.

My dad has a .17 Remington (centerfire .17) upper for his TC and it is absolutely stunning to shoot. He loads them quite "hot" so they are FAST.

Sweet little rifle, dude!

A couple of my friends came out on Wednesday night and we blew some stuff up with Tannerite. I think we went through 7 or 8 lbs. of the stuff. I was shooting the rifle that my dad made for me back when I was 12 for my first hunting season. I haven't shot it since high school. I forgot just how sweet it is (and he always talked about how he wished he'd kept it). It's nothing special, but it's a Ruger M77 .243 that only weighs 6.5 lbs. I was only 4 feet tall at 12 years old and probably in the 70 lb. range.....so I needed a small rifle. I remember when any bullet over 75 grains in that rifle would just KILL my shoulder.
When the round first came out in 2002ish, Marlin, Ruger and I think Remington made some barrel conversions for their .22 rifles. Then the round got very popular and they started pushing more full rifles.

The 17HMR is basically the shell of a .22 mag that is necked down to a pellet gun caliber. It is a lot of powder to be pushing a 17 grain bullet. Must be why they are around 2550 fps.

I was originally considering a 10-22 but I like bolt actions. Then I got the offer for this one and jumped on it once I saw pictures. I just need to order a few extra magazines. It came with a single 7 round magazine.

I'm also going to try some long shots when I go to my parent's place, over there I can shoot over 200 yds.

Quote:
By the way, is that a GM product key fob I see in the second picture? TRAITOR!!!
Haha, no, that is my remote start. I can't afford a second vehicle, especially a GM. When I was truck shopping they reflected their brand pride through a price tag, and I wasn't going to pay extra for a pride package.
Old Fri, July 8th, 2011, 11:31 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
A couple of my friends came out on Wednesday night and we blew some stuff up with Tannerite.
Old Fri, July 8th, 2011, 12:17 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Nice prairie dog round.......

I still like my 45-70 for prairie dogs though......

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, July 8th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Forum Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Nice prairie dog round.......

I still like my 45-70 for prairie dogs though......
Yeah, hard to miss when the bullet is twice the size of the target.
Old Fri, July 8th, 2011, 02:29 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
Yeah, hard to miss when the bullet is twice the size of the target.
Exactly.....minimal cleanup required.....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, July 26th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

cj45lc is on a distinguished road

Hey how do ya'll think that 17 would be in a pistol