Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Tue, August 30th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Whopper

fishmanwill is on a distinguished road
Default now getting code P0488...?

I have a question. I rolled back the FICM last wednesday and then did the ECM rollback on Friday. The truck is running great, feels like it did new back in 04' when I bought it. The question I have now it I am getting code P0488 on my edge insight. I have cleared the code a couple of times but it keeps coming back up. I cleaned the EGR valve about a month ago and I wasnt getting the code until after the rollbacks. Does that rollback have something to do with the code? What do I need to check or is it something I am going to have to live with?

Thank you and I just wanted to say that the PHP FICM/ECM rollback is great and I am loving my truck even more now. I hope it helps my 12-13 MPG.

Will
Old Tue, August 30th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

I'm going to say that it's a coincedence that the code came on with the rollback and FICM reprogramming. The code basically means that the commanded EGR throttle plate isn't jiving with the actual(or 'sensed' rather) EGR throttle plate position. If I was you, I would check to see if there is actually a throttle plate in the intake horn. If there is, I would find either a dummy intake horn without the throttle plate or a 05-07 intake horn. Is this throwing a soft code, not setting the light in the dash but detectable with the insight or scanner... or a 'hard code', setting the 'check engine' light in the dash?

P0488
Condition/Description
EGR Throttle Position Control Range/Performance
Fault trigger/Comments
Checks for a difference in commanded and actual EGRTP
Probable Cause
Fault sets when the difference between EGRTP and commanded
EGRTP exceeds the limit for a specified time
Old Tue, August 30th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Whopper

Sorry to ask, but what is a intake horn? and where do I find it?

Also it is just a soft code no check engine light.

Thanks,

Will
Old Tue, August 30th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

Intake elbow, intake horn, not really sure what the best way to describe it is. You can see in the above picture what the 05 and up elbow looks like, no provision for a EGR throttle plate. I think that the 03 and 04 can either have the throttle plate or not have it. I'm not sure what the exact breakdown is. You'll have to take the intercooler pipe off and take a look inside. I think the 05 elbow is a bolt on to the earlier manifold, I have both manifolds and elbows at my parents' place. I'll know for sure over the weekend.
Old Sun, September 11th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Whopper

I took that intake off and removed the plate. I also unhooked the batteries and reset everything and let the truck relearn and that seems to be helping, thanks for the help.

William
Old Mon, September 19th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Whopper

npccpartsman is on a distinguished road

If you removed the part of the intake with the throttle plate in it and unplugged the TPS then you will get the P0488 code. It won't hurt a thing. If you just removed the butterfly and are still getting the code the sensor is probably FUBAR and it STILL won't hurt a thing. The FICM flash has nothing to do with it.