Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Hydra Chip 17-Position Chip

Hydra Chip 17-Position Chip The Power Hungry Performance Hydra Multi-Position Chip is the industry standard for the 7.3L!

Redesigned from the ground up, the Hydra Chip provides Ford owners with a feature packed,
high quality, and low cost alternative to other existing modules on the market today.

Old Wed, December 29th, 2021, 07:43 PM
Whopper Junior

deadeye1287 is on a distinguished road
Default Switching from bypass 00 to tunes

Hello, hoping someone can let me know a definitive answer on this as there seem to be a couple conflicting reports on if this is normal on some other sites. Just installed my chip in my 02 F250. Currently running firmware 2.85.0.10 with all TNAA4S2 calibrations for my VDH4 PCM. If I start the truck up on the bypass setting, when I switch to my tunes, sometimes the truck will stall and die, sometimes just stall, and sometimes it will switch to the tunes fine. If I start up on any of my tunes, it switches between tunes without missing a beat, goes to bypass fine and goes back to any tunes from bypass fine. I also noticed if I put the truck in the high idle tune or whisper mode tune, then go directly to bypass, it stays in high idle or whisper mode accordingly. I'm assuming the latter is normal, but it seems odd that I sometimes stall when switching from bypass? I've noticed it seems to die more often if I switch immediately after the truck starts and the dash lights go out. Thanks!
Old Wed, December 29th, 2021, 09:34 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye1287 View Post
Hello, hoping someone can let me know a definitive answer on this as there seem to be a couple conflicting reports on if this is normal on some other sites. Just installed my chip in my 02 F250. Currently running firmware 2.85.0.10 with all TNAA4S2 calibrations for my VDH4 PCM. If I start the truck up on the bypass setting, when I switch to my tunes, sometimes the truck will stall and die, sometimes just stall, and sometimes it will switch to the tunes fine. If I start up on any of my tunes, it switches between tunes without missing a beat, goes to bypass fine and goes back to any tunes from bypass fine. I also noticed if I put the truck in the high idle tune or whisper mode tune, then go directly to bypass, it stays in high idle or whisper mode accordingly. I'm assuming the latter is normal, but it seems odd that I sometimes stall when switching from bypass? I've noticed it seems to die more often if I switch immediately after the truck starts and the dash lights go out. Thanks!
Normal operation.

The Hydra will not switch to "00" bypass mode without a key cycle. This means a change to "00" needs to be made, wait for the blink, then turn off the ignition. The next power-up will be in bypass. The chip WILL switch from bypass to any of the loaded calibrations without a key cycle...it stalls/stumbles because the calibration on the PCM does not match the calibrations on the chip. This is normal and nothing to worry about - just don't make a habit out of switching between "00" and other calibrations while the vehicle is running. If you must do that switch WITHOUT the engine running turn off the ignition and restart.
Old Thu, December 30th, 2021, 09:09 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Normal operation.

The Hydra will not switch to "00" bypass mode without a key cycle. This means a change to "00" needs to be made, wait for the blink, then turn off the ignition. The next power-up will be in bypass. The chip WILL switch from bypass to any of the loaded calibrations without a key cycle...it stalls/stumbles because the calibration on the PCM does not match the calibrations on the chip. This is normal and nothing to worry about - just don't make a habit out of switching between "00" and other calibrations while the vehicle is running. If you must do that switch WITHOUT the engine running turn off the ignition and restart.

An unmolested (not updated by the dealer) VDH4 computer will have a calibration of TNAA5S8. If it's been updated, it's probably TNAA7S5.

You are currently running TNAA4S2, which is perfectly fine and what we normally recommend. However, if you'll notice, the first 5 characters of the calibration are not the same, particularly the 5th digit. The first five characters calibration indicate the Operating System build of the calibration with digits 6 and 7 reflecting the tuning revision. If the first 5 characters are not identical, then the calibrations have structural memory differences and therefore generally cannot be switched between them without causing a computer hiccup. Some calibrations have more changes and may experience more severe stumble or stall while other have fewer changes and may not experience any negative effects at all. It all just depends on the changes.

For all intents and purposes, there's really not any reason to go into [00] unless you need to perform some sort of diagnostics and want the tuning completely out of the way. Outside of that, just keep the Hydra in a tuned level and you shouldn't have any issues.

Take care and Happy New Year!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, December 31st, 2021, 08:58 AM
Whopper Junior

Thanks to both of you for the quick response and verifying this for me! I absolutely love the chip. This is my first diesel, coming from primarily 350 SBs. I'll never go back! I admittedly didn't read the ECU in Hydraflash and went off the sticker. I'll check and see what is in there and switch to the TNAA5S8 or TNAA7S5. Appreciate it again!
Old Fri, December 31st, 2021, 01:13 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

You won't find a myriad of calibrations for either of those. You have "the preferred" set loaded. Is there a reason you are switching to the bypass mode? Like Bill stated, unless you're performing specific diagnostics or troubleshooting there is no reason to run the PCM's flashed calibration. If you need a "stock" setting, flash the chip with the TNAA4S2 "0S" calibration and use it....it won't cause the hiccup.

Also running a calibration on the chip other than TNAA5S8 (provided your original VDH4 PCM hasn't been reflashed) will cause the same stall/stutter you're currently getting.
Old Tue, January 4th, 2022, 03:54 PM
Whopper Junior

Sorry, just got around to checking the PCM. PCM shows running TNAA5S8. I double checked and all my tunes are TNAA4S2. The question was prompted due to me coming across the issue when I was getting familiar with the chip. I wasn't doing any specific troubleshooting, just wondered how it operated switching on the fly vs key switched, etc. All is good. Thanks again!