Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2009 to 2014 F-150

2009 to 2014 F-150 3.5L, 3.7L, 4.6L, 5.0L, 5.4L, and 6.2L equipped F-150s

Old Thu, January 29th, 2009, 12:00 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Bill,
I do not have a Gryphon yet, hopefully soon...that being said, because of the air intake mod I have, do you think it would be detrimental to my engine (stock 5.4 3v with stock air filter) to make WOT runs? Should I cap off the ram air section and just let it breathe through the fenderwell until I get a Gryphon?
I haven't made any WOT runs yet, and based upon your explanation of A/F ratios it's probably a good thing I haven't.
Thanks for any guidance.
Let's see if I can get this right before Bill chimes in:

I think, because you've done no modifications to the intake system past the intake tube (the filter box and filter are all stock), you're not going to fool the MAF sensor into thinking there's less airflow than there really is. So, I don't think you have to worry about running lean.

But - and here I don't really have a clue how to proceed - at high speeds, your "ram" air intake is going to have a little bit of the effect of a blower (although I doubt it will be TOO significant). That COULD upset things a bit.

(BTW - the only reason I jumped in here was to test my understanding of this concern).

- Jack
Old Thu, January 29th, 2009, 12:35 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Correct, Jack.

As long as the relationship between the MAF sensor and the intake tube is not disturbed, the MAF sensor *should* correctly calculate the amount of air entering the engine. Of course, this is under N/A draw-thru conditions. The ram-air effect of the snorkel on AO's truck may have a slight effect on AFR, but based on other ram-air kits I've seen in the past, the effect is not enough to be concerned about.

This coincides with what we've seen on the dyno with a 60 MPH fan blowing directly into the engine compartment. There is occasionally a slight AFR shift (.1 - .2) with air blowing into the intake tube (with snorkel and bellows removed) but think that this may be more related to the turbulent conditions cause by the high speed fan and not necessarily because of the removal of the snorkel itself.

Hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, January 29th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Double Whopper

AgentOrange is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys!
I didn't want to hurt the motor before I'm able to enjoy the benefits of a Gryphon.
Old Mon, February 2nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
Tuner NON-extraordinaire

secondarychaos has a spectacular aura aboutsecondarychaos has a spectacular aura about

Bill- with the turbulence in the intake you speak of, is it going richer or leaner?
Not to mention the fact that the grants are ridiculous and you have to be in very specific categories to qualify - Male, between the ages of 41 and 42, who rides a unicycle to work, has a baby rhino for a pet, and only eats pork fried rice all day.
Old Mon, February 2nd, 2009, 06:19 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

It could go either way, actually. It depends on how the air density is affected and whether the air flowing through the sample tube of the MAF Sensor is more or less dense than the air going around it.

Obviously, the closer the MAF sensor is to the opening the worse the effect of turbulence will be in regards to sensor fluctuations. The farther downstream, the more chance the air has to stabilize and the less likely there will be inaccurate readings.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Mon, February 2nd, 2009, 06:58 PM
Whopper Junior

68galxl is on a distinguished road
Default snorkel on 09

where is the snorkel on the 09? there is a air box mounted on the inner fender wall. its not like the 05 I had
Old Mon, February 2nd, 2009, 07:02 PM

The snorkel is attached to the airbox itself.

Remove the top of the airbox and the the filter. There are two 13mm bolts that hold the airbox in. Remove them. "Pop" the airbox up and pull away from the fender. The snorkel will come out with the airbox.

The whole thing takes about 5 minutes.

(678) 890-1110

Old Thu, February 5th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Whopper Junior

68galxl is on a distinguished road
Default snorkel

thanks for the info
Old Fri, May 15th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Noob

Tylus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
The snorkel is attached to the airbox itself.

Remove the top of the airbox and the the filter. There are two 13mm bolts that hold the airbox in. Remove them. "Pop" the airbox up and pull away from the fender. The snorkel will come out with the airbox.

The whole thing takes about 5 minutes.
sorry to revive an old thread...but I'm curious

I have a 2008 Epxy EL with 5.4 3v

From what I can tell, my Expy is almost 100% identical to the 09 F-150. The only obvious difference physically seems to be the radiator shroud.

I know the tuning is different since I have the 300 HP version, and they have the 310 HP version.

but since I have the same airbox...would I possibly see the gains you've posted if I remove my Snorkel? 7 HP for nothing would be awesome...and I'd love to see if it's possible
btw, any update if the Gryphon will be available for the 07+ Expy anytime soon?...or ever?
Old Fri, May 15th, 2009, 08:53 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Sounds to me like you can. Really, as long as you don't remove anything that looks like it DOES something (i.e., you remove nothing more than a tube), there shouldn't be any problem at all.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer

Tags
2009, dyno, f150, power, results, torque