Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Old Sun, May 16th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road
Default Ya-Hoo!

Well, I finally have a truck that could use some custom tuning. Is that a good thing? Well, if I didn't have Minotaur it wouldn't, but being I do...

Here's the deal I bought the 97 F250 7.3 auto already modded, for much less than I could have done it myself. It already has a 6-position TS chip with nice tunes, couple stock driving ones, but when you switch to the higher HP tunes the pedal is touchy, smokes lots, and jerks enough that you can't cruise while set to those higher tunes. I did find one position that was a happy medium that had good power and driveablity.

Soooo... since I have the Minotaur software I can't not make tunes for it right? I'll start with the mods: 17* HPOP, 238/100% Rosewoods, H2E, 7.3 IC, headstuds, FASS pump, those are the primary mods, with a auto tranny built to take it.
I began with a 25hp tow TDE1 file, and set to work away on creating a "like stock-performing" tune. First change I did was change the MFD so I have more of the map to work with (stock only utilizes about half of the map). Essentially though even as I changed it, MFD is nearly identical to stock. Changed the ICP duty cycle to account for increased volume of a 17* over 15*, raised the ICP desired slightly across the boards. For the pulsewidth I used injector flow data from PSN to get the map set to what I thought might be as close to right as possible before trying it out.

After a few trials I made very few and minor changes to get the idle smoothed out, after that I proceeded to make a test drive and see how it did. It really ran smooth and I was impressed.... until the I reached a situation where I 'coast' when the TCC unlocks. The engine then begins to do a quick romp/lope until I come to a stop or roll back into the throttle. I hooked up my brothers scan tool and checked for some information, engine was romping from about 630 rpms-650 rpms. I checked the ICP and MFD and figured I should add some PW to that area. Made 6 new files with hopes of finding 'the one' with no avail. Altough the file where I added the most PW the engine romped from 640-670. I'm thinking maybe I just got greedy and went to far to quick? I didn't get that figured out, but so I didn't feel bad about myself I made a file up with some more fuel. Ahhhh... that was fun, smooth, power, me like. So, altough I didn't get the pleasure of getting it all ironed out, I was able to make that turbo scream with my tuning.

For now, I'm just running the regular 6 position that came with it until I get another day with a good chunk of time to do some more trials. Until then, anyone have any ideas or pointers? Can't wait until the day I can drive it around and say tuned by ME(and possibly with the help of others on here) lol.
Old Sun, May 16th, 2010, 11:23 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Nice job!

I am experiencing the same issue, kinda choppy idle on decel. I believe this is caused by too much ICP as it did not do this when I was running less. I was able to get rid off pretty much ALL my smoke, but have created a few other issues by doing so.

Another problem I have experienced from ramping up the ICP so sharply is a choppy idle when I first start it, just for a few seconds until the idle settles down.

Good luck, I hope to hear how you cure this.
Old Mon, May 17th, 2010, 11:24 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

The problem is the ramping of the ICP. The IPR cannot compensate fast enough when returning to an idle so it cannot correct very quickly. The only way to fix it is to have a less aggressive ICP map.
Old Mon, May 17th, 2010, 08:41 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

I was planning on changing the ICP map resolution to get a little more fine control on the lower end of the map to try and cure this. Not sure if it will change anything....but worth a shot.

I will have to get the "two separate projects" rockin but I think it should be pretty strait forward.
Old Wed, May 19th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Tuner novice

Update time! (thanks for the pointer Cody)

Finally had some down time to do some more trials. Set the ICP desired down some in the lower MFD&RPM area. Then I looked at the ICP map for 65hp tune for OBS 7.3s. Had that map and a few of my variations on the chip for a trial. ICP map from the 65 hp tune seemed the best. There was only 2 quick romps before getting back to normal, unlike before where is was nearly constant until I quit coasting.

Looked at the Super Duty performance tunes for ICP desired after I finished a few trials today. That looks to be like even more in the direction I was headed. I may try that map once with a few in-between versions to see if I can get it all smoothed out. That will require some "grafting" with both the resolution and normalizers different.
Old Thu, May 20th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Bacon King

Pocket is on a distinguished road

Keep us updated. I'm interested to hear the results.

I've got dual HPOP's on my truck, and I get an RPM drop when I come to a stop. It's worse on a stock tune or lower HP tune than it is on a racing or performance tune. I've done some tweaking and got it so that it doesn't happen often, but every now and again I can watch those RPM's dip for a split second when I come to a light or stop sign. Still trying to figure out how to completely get rid of it.
Old Thu, July 15th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Tuner novice

I always get excited when there is something to read in this section of the PHP forum, so I figured its my turn again. I finally got the courage a few weeks back to take out the chip that came with the truck and run with my own. They were good tunes, but I was just driving "dead to the world" in terms of paying attention to what was going on with the old chip. I tried to note things that I liked and disliked, but it was hard knowing that I couldn't do a dern thing about it. So, I busted out that last blank chip (reorder may be coming soon lol) and slapped it in. Engine side of things is about 95% ironed out. I only seem to have a defueling issue at higher boost pressures with no 'boost fooler' in the MAP line and also because I left the 'adder to pulsewidth multiplier' map alone.

Now, onto the transmission side. I'll likely be going back to re-read about every thread in this section dealing with shifting. I always tried to follow along but found it hard to do with no auto trans of my own to tune for. Here's an FYI that there might be future questions from me for shifting questions!
Old Fri, July 16th, 2010, 07:42 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Just keep in mind that the OBS transmission functions are infinitely better than the SD trucks because they are so simple.

The SD PCMs are complicated enough that there are TONS of things that affect when/how the transmission shifts. The OBS computers have a tendency to do what you want them to do.....consistently.
Old Tue, August 3rd, 2010, 08:51 PM
Tuner novice

Well after making my first street race tune and failing somewhat miserably by making very crude estimates on shifts (shift points were a wittle higher than I wanted), I decided I would come up with a handy spreadsheet so I could nail my shift points down more precisely, making a fine art of shifting (hopefully someday lol). So, I'm going to attach the file. Haven't got the fancy or pretty extras, but it takes care of business. Version 2 of the street race tune is soon to be completed, gonna be fun. Taking care of a number of issues, one being that "double bumping early locking garbage" as it has been put before.
Attached Files
File Type: xls speed calc.xls (26.0 KB, 33 views)
Old Wed, August 4th, 2010, 07:06 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Now THAT is cool.

I wish I had some Excel skills. "You know, like numchuck skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills."