Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Tue, July 12th, 2011, 07:34 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

AZFX4 - I've left a note to both Bill and Cody. I've tried to make them aware of your unique problem. I'll check again tomorrow to see if you've made contact.

- Jack
Old Tue, July 12th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

AZFX4 is on a distinguished road

I've talked to a few guys, all who have programmers, and have passed emissions with their truck tuned. Neither have a Gryphon but custom tunes nonless. They all advised me to return to stock and disconnect battery and start over. They suggest something isn't right after 500+ miles it's the same. So I'm all for trying it..

It almost locked up AGAIN. It glitched at the end of everything and was stuck on turn truck off and back on. Luckily when I unplugged it, it showed a fail and let me retry and successfully returned to stock. Could it be my Gryphon has a problem also? Since the last 2 out of 3 times changing levels it has locked itself?

And JackandJanet, thanks. Any idea what my choices will be if I don't pass? I know I can get a 30 day perment and be safe and keep trying to pass.. but if I don't What do I do?
Old Tue, July 12th, 2011, 08:52 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFX4 View Post
I've talked to a few guys, all who have programmers, and have passed emissions with their truck tuned. Neither have a Gryphon but custom tunes nonless. They all advised me to return to stock and disconnect battery and start over. They suggest something isn't right after 500+ miles it's the same. So I'm all for trying it..

It almost locked up AGAIN. It glitched at the end of everything and was stuck on turn truck off and back on. Luckily when I unplugged it, it showed a fail and let me retry and successfully returned to stock. Could it be my Gryphon has a problem also? Since the last 2 out of 3 times changing levels it has locked itself?

And JackandJanet, thanks. Any idea what my choices will be if I don't pass? I know I can get a 30 day perment and be safe and keep trying to pass.. but if I don't What do I do?
There ARE shops that will fix your truck so it will "pass" and then you bring it back so they can "make it run right" (put it back the way it was). I would not go to them. They set up camp right beside the emissions stations.

A reputable dealer could fix the problem. You would want it tuned to stock before taking it there though and neither of these approaches is not likely to be cheap.

I honestly think there IS a sensor problem in your truck, and that kind of thing is best fixed at a reputable shop (most dealerships really are, in spite of the bad press they get). But, I am very reluctant to tell you to go back to the stock tune until Bill has had a chance to look at this.

If he doesn't get with you soon (in a day) let me know, either in this thread or in a PM. I have another way to get his attention and will use it if needed. I see, Ryan, that your User Profile is up to date, so they should be able to use that information to double check your tunes for problems. But, could you add a telephone number to your details there? Bill does not hesitate to call when there are issues.
- Jack
Old Tue, July 12th, 2011, 09:33 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

What kills me is that the truck failed for a P1000 with a custom calibration loaded into the PCM.....

The P1000 switch is turned off in all three custom tunes. The PCM shouldn't care.

I'll link Bill to this thread tomorrow.
Old Tue, July 12th, 2011, 11:02 PM

J&J, I suppose it could be a sensor problem, the guy had told me there is nothing I can do besides drive til it goes off. But who knows... It's set back on stock, I will make the drive to Flagstaff Thursday and try to get to ADEQ Friday right before work and see if I pass being on stock tune. If not, well I'll chime back in.. I'll add a phone number.
Old Tue, July 12th, 2011, 11:04 PM

cleatus12r, that's kinda interesting that P1000 code is turned off.

So maybe my problem isn't really a P1000 code? I never scanned for it, I was just told simply being that my OBD port isn't ready, that's the drive cycle and you drive til the OBD port is ready. Which drive cycle is P1000. Autozone's scanner doesn't read P1000.

Heck if I know..
Old Wed, July 13th, 2011, 01:17 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFX4 View Post
cleatus12r, that's kinda interesting that P1000 code is turned off.

So maybe my problem isn't really a P1000 code? I never scanned for it, I was just told simply being that my OBD port isn't ready, that's the drive cycle and you drive til the OBD port is ready. Which drive cycle is P1000. Autozone's scanner doesn't read P1000.

Heck if I know..
If you were to put your truck back to stock programming .....you'd get the p1000 code and have to drive your truck till it goes away....disconne ting the battery while in stock programming will cause this also...

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, July 13th, 2011, 06:08 AM

I did stock programming and disconnecting of battery just lastnight because after 500+ miles it still didn't go away, I had to try something. I know this throws the P1000 all over again, but maybe being on stock it will pass, something with custom tunes was blocking it from reading the sensors, if that's possible. I'm just willing to try anything since I NEED to pass.
Old Wed, July 13th, 2011, 09:15 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

P1000 is a "DTC" which indicates that the PCM has not finished drive cycle testing of the Evaporative, EGR, O2, and other systems. When those systems clear the self tests, then the P1000 goes away by itself. Just removing the programmer from the OBDII port DOES NOT have anything to do with the P1000 or the self tests, so we can rule out that as a problem.

I checked your calibrations and there is nothing in the tuning that would affect the EVAP or the EGR test monitors. I seriously doubt that the cause of the test failure is related to the tuning, and that you may actually have a problem with the vehicle's EVAP system (often a bad gas cap or a broken vent hose from the fuel tank) and/or the EGR system. Your calibration is one of the most popular 97-03 calibrations we do tuning for and I've never seen this issue before.

What it comes down to is this...

(1) Check the EVAP system for cracks or leaks... anything that will prevent the fuel tank from drawing a slight vacuum while running. If the EVAP system can't maintain a vacuum in the fuel tank, this will definitely prevent the OBD monitors from completing and you will fail every time.

(2) Return the truck back to stock and then follow the recommended drive cycle procedure. If the vehicle is still failing, then you definitely have a problem with the systems indicated.

As to the issue of why the programmer is hanging, I don't have an immediate answer. That could be a hardware related issue, heat issue, or voltage issue, or something else not identified. For the time being, do not reprogram the vehicle unless you're at home so we can perform a recovery if necessary.

I hope this is helpful.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, July 13th, 2011, 09:27 AM
PHP Groupie

AZFX4 - Now that you're talking to Bill and Cody, I'll stay out of it. I like Bill's explanation. But, can you tell us - do they actually test anything on your model year truck besides plugging into the OBD port? For instance, do they take your gas cap off and attach it to a vacuum port to see if it's alright? Do they put a sniffer into the tailpipe?

As I recall, on my 2005 truck, I use the OBD port only line and the ONLY thing they do is read the data at the port. I seem to remember that line is for 2001 and up trucks (but I may have the year wrong).

Knowing this information may help Bill.

Oh, one more thing. I don't think you will be able to read the P1000 code if it's set using the monochrome Gryphon. At least I never did. I DO see it (when it's set) with the CTS programmer though and I assume the CS would show it too.

- Jack