Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sat, May 5th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Double Whopper

NITEMARE07 is on a distinguished road
Default STS turbo vs. roush supercharger

I've done some research on sts turbo systems and roush chargers. Previously i always thought hands down superchargers are the way to go. But upon researching the sts turbo systems many guys swear by them and some even say that they will never go back to superchargers. Now i know depending on what setup i would go with determines the output as far as turbos are concerned. So lets say for example i have a 8lb boost turbo with tuned computer. How does that compare with a roush charger with tuned computer. Keep in mind it will be on a 5.4L 4×4 4 door. Just testing the waters so to speak on this topic.
Old Sat, May 5th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Bacon King

cajunboy2208 is on a distinguished road

The never ending debate. turbo vs supercharger... blah

You lose power to spool up the turbo
You lose power on the belt driven supercharger

Which is less expensive?
Turbo

Which requires less maintenance and easier install?
Supercharger

The choice is yours.
I've seen much less problems with superchargers.

Also, if you go the supercharger route, get the Whipple twin screw 2.3L, it is unrivaled
Old Sat, May 5th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Double Whopper

I guess what I'm trying to get to is which would produce more hp/tq? I've seen that the superchargers will put out on average 100 extra hp. Didnt know if anyone else on this forum has went the turbo route. If i went with turbo i would need two since i have true dual exhaust.
Old Sun, May 6th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Bacon King

cajunboy2208 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEMARE07 View Post
I guess what I'm trying to get to is which would produce more hp/tq? I've seen that the superchargers will put out on average 100 extra hp. Didnt know if anyone else on this forum has went the turbo route. If i went with turbo i would need two since i have true dual exhaust.
only 100hp? Would like to know what garbage supercharger that is... the whipple will do roughly 60% increase in hp

To answer in short without going into detail, which will give more hp? Turbo hands down
Old Sun, May 6th, 2012, 06:21 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Turbos tend to be more efficient in terms of output vs parasitic loss. Outside of that...

Turbocharger advantages:
Less expensive
Easier to maintain
Boost level controllable by wastegate

Supercharger advantages:
Linear power output
Easy to install

If I were to choose, I'd go turbo even though the systems are a little more complex. However, since you're running full duals it might be cost prohibitive to try to run a twin turbo setup. That's up to you, though.

Good luck with your decision.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, May 6th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Double Whopper

So how much boost would be too much for a stock motor with twin turbo? I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 pounds. I like the idea of turbo because most guys run superchargers and of coarse that unmistakable whistle they produce. So even though superchargers put out 60% extra hp, turbos provide more! That would be some serious muscle.