Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Thu, May 6th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Bacon King

mmandley is on a distinguished road
Default Thinking of new to me truck

Hi guys, i currently own a 06 F150 4x4 XLT.

I am looking to buy a Diesel to pull my boat with. I have found what looks to be a pretty good truck and quite decently priced due to the higher mileage of 145K.

I personaly dont drive a lot of miles so what im hopping is this truck will last a good 2 years with apx 20K more miles added to it.

Its a 05 F250 6.0LT 346? Im guessing the 346 is the axle ratio? Its a Lariet and very well optioned.

What issues do i need to be asking about and looking for with the 6.0 and auto trans?

Thanks for any help you guys can be.

Mike

08 F350 Crew Cab Lariat Edition 4x4 6.4L Twin Turbo Diesel
Old Thu, May 6th, 2010, 07:08 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Mike, I'm not a diesel guy, but....

What kind of miles does this truck have on it? Highway or city? Was it used for towing? If so, what kind of weight was it pulling?

Does it have complete maintenance records? Have you run a Carfax report on it?

Is the interior well maintained? (Sometimes, that says a lot about how much care the owner gives it.)

Crawl underneath and look carefully for traces of leaks of any kind. Try to do this after you have driven it, in case he's had the engine "cleaned". Try to drive it both in the city and on the highway. Pay attention to the steering, does it "pull", or drive straight ahead? How does the shifting feel? How does the battery look? And, how do the tires look?

Ask the guy why he's selling it.

Go with a "jaundiced" eye. We often want something like this to be the "truck of our dreams", so we blind ourselves to faults. Your current truck works fine, does it really make sense to make the switch?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, May 7th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Bacon King

Thanks JacknJanet

I saw that truck i was thinking of and it was a no go. It had the bed all chopped up from a 5th wheel trailer that was butchered when they removed it.

I actually ended up getting a 06 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 Turbo Diesel. Black Lariet edition with all the goodies. Even rolling on custom 20s. Realy sweet looking truck.

Only 46K miles and no signs of being used to haul anything unnormal.

Guess ill be back here spending money on a diesel setup at Tax time. I ended up getting 18K for my truck as a trade in so i paid 16K for this one plus a 4/48 full warranty. I think i did pretty good.

Old Fri, May 7th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Congratz!! dont have too much fun with those new mods!
Old Fri, May 7th, 2010, 12:24 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

You won't even know you have the boat back there with that rig! Have fun!

- Jack
Old Mon, May 10th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Spark Plug Inhibited

Jeremy is on a distinguished road

Go price the ford "diesel care" esp for the engine. I takes the factory engine warranty a additional 2 yrs and 100k more miles. So you motor will be covered for 7 yrs and 200k from org(new) date of purchase. When I bought mine for the 05 EX it was $2200...you'll spend the $2200 in a heart beat if anything goes wrong.

Now your covered until the 5 years expires for the org purchase date or you get to 100k miles. So if you have a 06 your warranty could expire in as early as July/August of this year. Give me your vin# and I'll run an Oasis report if you'd like to know the warranty start date.
00 F-350 7.3, 12 Speed, PHP Gryphon, PHP hydra, DAC3
95 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, Auto, Mechanics Truck
94 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, 5 speed, Flatbed
Old Mon, May 10th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Bacon King

Thanks for the offer Jeremy. I did buy the warranty for the truck. It covers the entire truck except tires oil and brakes for the next 4 years. 50 deductible. I couldn't imagine owning a Diesel and no warranty. I shudder to think what any mechanical repair on this truck costs lol.