Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Fri, June 5th, 2009, 03:00 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Usually 24 hours on FICMs (not including shipping) but with all the medical stuff going on we got a bit backed up and had a few FICMs here for a couple days.

I am finishing up the new hybrid FICM files to eliminate the nasty, aggressive IH strategy and use the newer, gentler strategy. I've got a couple local guys that are going to be testing and if all goes well we'll be releasing it to the mass public.

My advice, hang out a couple weeks until the testing is done. You might be glad you did.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, June 5th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Double Whopper

sonic blue l is on a distinguished road

sounds good to me, besides gives me a bit of time to check out the shiping.

So far what i have found does not seem to bad to ship it to you guys. Shipping to would be about 7-10 days and probably the same back. Probably just drive there quicker, lol.

I would not care if mine sat for awhile as it would be an extra anyway.

Can you test ficms to make sure they are good before you program them? For the guys who are buying at a wreckers this may be a good option.

I know when they are bad they smoke the dc/dc convertor but i have never actually opened one up to take a look. I might have to crack one open and take a look see.
Old Fri, June 5th, 2009, 12:22 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I don't have the ability to test the FICMs, but as I understand it there is a common problem with them cracking the solder joints. I have some pictures somewhere of the components that are having the problem... just can't seem to find them right now. As soon as I locate them, I'll post them.

In the mean time, if you open the FICM up they are very easy to spot. Next to the high current connecting posts, there are 4 wirewound, current limiting resistors laying right next to each other. They are brown and are bigger than any of the other resistors. These develop solder fractures and result in decreased voltage output. In many cases, resoldering these will bring the FICM back to life.

Again, I'll post pics as soon as I find where I put them.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Thu, December 10th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Whopper

mr.c is on a distinguished road
Default pcm/ficm tuning

I have been running the FICM that you reprogammed for me and the truck ran better but not as good as before the dealer flashed away my power. I decided to get another pcm/ecm and send that to you to program them back to the strategy that the truck came with. I have had a incompatibilty code since I put in the PHP programmed FICM. The first pcm/ecm that I got was from a '03 and I put it in to check what program that it had. My AutoEgineuity scanner showed some really wierd numbers. The program strategy number was bracketed with several y's with 2 dots over the top of them. I do not know what the CVN number is that shows up under the CAL number which is the strategy number. Anyway this pcm showed a 0 for a number. The original pcm showed 28C7D90 for the CVN.
I tried driving the truck with the different pcm and there was no tow/haul mode. The seller of the unit had listed it as for an automatic. It probably wasn't. So I bought another used pcm from an '04. That was delivered today and I put it in the truck to check to see what the strategy was. It was VXBC9N8.HEX. The same as what was current in the truck after the dealer flashed it. It showed a different CVN number 21F261D. I decided to take it for a quick drive. I felt a difference just driving it across the yard to get to the road. Very responsive to throttle. I got to the road and showered down on it and the truck took off like unleashed beagles. My truck is a F350 crew cab long bed dually with a topper. 3.73 rear gear and stock size tires (16"). A heavy truck. When it came up on boost it lit up the tires and lit them again on the second gear shift. There was a good bit of black smoke for about 50' . Thirty pounds of boost as it had before swapping pcm's. Showering down on it at 20-30 mph still resulted in tire spin and some black smoke. The power was as good as when the truck was new. I don't remember all of the smoke however.
I have a couple of questions. How could a pcm with the same VXBC9N8.HEX strategy perform so differently? What is the CVN number under truck identity? That number was different. 21F261D in this pcm and 28C7D90 for my oridinal pcm.
I still had the imcompatibility code that comes up for this unit as well. I still am planning on sending you a pcm and a new ficm for you to reprogram back to original (as sold) specs. I was going to send the replacement unit and keep the original pcm as is but after driving the truck with the spare pcm, I am not so sure. Am I in any danger of hurting the engine with this spare pcm that makes good power? Fuel mileage is an unknown on this unit since I just got it this afternoon.

Last edited by mr.c; Thu, December 10th, 2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old Thu, December 10th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Spark Plug Inhibited

Jeremy is on a distinguished road

The second PCM you bought could have a program on it. What year is your truck? build date?

The first PCM you bought would be for an auto if it had three connectors on it. The six speed PCM has two.
00 F-350 7.3, 12 Speed, PHP Gryphon, PHP hydra, DAC3
95 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, Auto, Mechanics Truck
94 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, 5 speed, Flatbed
Old Thu, December 10th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Whopper

My truck is an '04 with a 11/03 build date.
Old Sun, December 13th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Whopper

cartmanea is on a distinguished road

Agree, I'll bet the second PCM has a custom program flashed to it.
Old Fri, December 18th, 2009, 08:38 AM

Definitely sounds like a modified ECM. The missing strategy information is usually a pretty good sign.

(678) 890-1110

Old Fri, December 18th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Whopper

Default ecm's

Bill: The one with the missing strategy number was the 2003 ecm. It didn't run very well and there was no tow/haul. I did some searching and found the CVN is calibration verification number. The '03 ecm showed a 0 for that.
The ecm that had good response did have a CVN.
At any rate I sent you two ecm's in case there is a problem programming the 2003 unit. I would like to use the '03 ecm if possible and leave the 2004 original ecm alone.
I do share your contempt for what the dealers are doing to our trucks. In my case I made them promise that they wouldn't flash it before I left it with them. They did it anyway. I better end this now. Getting riled up again.
You should receive a package today or tomorrow with a new FICM and 2 ECM's. Again, the second ecm is just in case there is a problem programming the '03 unit.
Old Fri, December 18th, 2009, 12:58 PM

No worries. We'll let you know when it shows up.

(678) 890-1110