Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Mon, February 22nd, 2010, 11:17 AM
Whopper

kennyd is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust Mods.

Hey Guys, I have been doing a lot of searching through this forum as well as others and I am impressed with the collective knowledge and resourcefullness of this forum and I would like to throw out another question. I am looking at magnaflow exhaust system # 16617 for my truck and was wondering if it would be a cost effective option to buy a magnaflow muffler and tips and have a local shop do the pipes and have the system welded on, considering the kit is $500 +- and there is not much pipe anyway. Also wondering if anyone else has used this product or anything similar ,if so what do you think about it.

Thanks,
KennyD
Old Mon, February 22nd, 2010, 01:34 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

If you live out of the salt belt(down south) then go for getting the muffler and tips.
Its cheaper doing it like this.
But»
If you do live where they salt the roads in the winter then go for stainless steel quality 309 type kit. You save money down the road by not having to replace pieces every 2-4 years.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, February 22nd, 2010, 01:53 PM
Whopper

Thanks for the info, Unfortunately my vehicle is subjected to a lot of salt , but I was wondering do exhaust shops not use stainless pipe if it is requested.
Old Mon, February 22nd, 2010, 02:22 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Most shops use aluminized tubing and those who do stainless are few and far between.
Stainless catback kits are a good alternative when shop in your area don't install stainless.
Make sure that the stainless isn't 400+ type stainless either. That rots out too.
Some race shops work with stainless also.

Old Mon, February 22nd, 2010, 05:16 PM
Bacon King

DarrenWS6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyd View Post
Thanks for the info, Unfortunately my vehicle is subjected to a lot of salt , but I was wondering do exhaust shops not use stainless pipe if it is requested.
My shop made my true dual out of t-409 stainless. 409 is what Magnaflow uses in their kits, and standard for mufflers vs the polished t-304 ( like on the tips ). Up in salted north Pennsylvania my system is still in fine condition after two years.
Old Mon, February 22nd, 2010, 06:44 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Ah Darren finding a shop that will do stainless is the key.

I know there's a stainless grade to stay away from on the market and I can't recall the grade number.

Old Fri, February 26th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Txag32

txag32 is on a distinguished road
Default A deal on exhaust

If you are looking for a deal go to anythingauto.com,and they will let you bid on the price. I got my Magnaflow exhaust cat back for 409.00. I got the whole thing installed for 75 bucks total cost of 490.18! I feel it was a great deal! After tax of course.
Old Mon, March 1st, 2010, 04:54 AM
Whopper

Default Exhaust Mods

What kit did you buy , I found a Roush Kit at fordperformanceparts4less for $409 plus shipping and over this weekend found a local shop that could build a magnaflow setup very similar to a kit for $275 installed , it would be the system that comes out in front of the rear tire ,and all stainless the only difference is that the muffler is not polished ,not that it matters it gets tucked behind the frame anyway. The only thing keeping me from making a decision is not knowing what either setup will sound like or if Ishould go with a 14" or 18" muffler.

Thanks,
Kenny
Old Mon, March 1st, 2010, 09:15 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyd View Post
What kit did you buy , I found a Roush Kit at fordperformanceparts4less for $409 plus shipping and over this weekend found a local shop that could build a magnaflow setup very similar to a kit for $275 installed , it would be the system that comes out in front of the rear tire ,and all stainless the only difference is that the muffler is not polished ,not that it matters it gets tucked behind the frame anyway. The only thing keeping me from making a decision is not knowing what either setup will sound like or if Ishould go with a 14" or 18" muffler.

Thanks,
Kenny
I love the Roush off road kit :drool:

As far as the 14" or 18" muffler....its really depends on why you are wanting the new exhaust. If you like the sound and want it loud the 18" is definitely not for you. IMHO the 18" is to quiet and not worth the price if you are looking for sound.
Old Wed, March 3rd, 2010, 09:03 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

04FX4 is on a distinguished road

The magniflow muffler will make a difference for you over the stock, but for performance gains you are better off getting the system. These units were tested, they also have mandrel bends in them which help alot in flow. Most shops do not have such a bender do to the extreme cost. So if you are looking for performance go for the system, if looking for a little performance, good sound, at a little price go to the muffler shop.