Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Wed, October 28th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Whopper

hlbbig69 is on a distinguished road
Default newbie

Hey everyone

I am new to this custom tune thing.So if people could help me out with some questions I would appreciate it.

I have a 2008 f150 with the 5.4 K&N fipk kit with a cat back pro flo exhaust. What tunnner is the best for overall operation. I think there where three different models. One was a can tune another was what I think they call a flash tune but fully adjustable? and the third was a gauge mount that was adjustable as well.

The tunes I want I think are a 87 performance tune, tow haul tune and for the third I am not sure? I would like to get the most out of what I have already put in with not loosing too much gas mileage. I get 14 or 15 for all around town driving. i would like to see that increase a bit more with this purchase. Am I on the right track or not. Remember I only now what I have typed so any input will be greatly appreciaeted. Keep in mind with the mods have already done there was no increase in mileage. With the same mods in a 2008 standard cab 4.6 I increased 3mpg

HLB

Last edited by hlbbig69; Wed, October 28th, 2009 at 03:43 AM.
Old Wed, October 28th, 2009, 04:32 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

The tuner is called a gryphon and with a couple custom tunes it would be a great addition to your truck.
The gryphon is just like the edge evo except with php's black case and tweeked canned tunes.
The gryphon comes with canned tunes but you may order custom ones and those come later after you recieve the gryphon. The customs are made/writen for you and your truck so they are better then the canned tunes.
The gryphon is a flash style tuner but the great thing about it is it's gauges!

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, October 29th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
The tuner is called a gryphon and with a couple custom tunes it would be a great addition to your truck.
The gryphon is just like the edge evo except with php's black case and tweeked canned tunes.
The gryphon comes with canned tunes but you may order custom ones and those come later after you recieve the gryphon. The customs are made/writen for you and your truck so they are better then the canned tunes.
The gryphon is a flash style tuner but the great thing about it is it's gauges!

Lars
Thak you sir, So when you get the Gryphon it has a generic tune? The other tuneable things that you speak of. Does the Gyphon crew set them baised on the mods that you hav done to the truck or you tell them what you want. I can think of a few things I would want to change. But as far as shift points spark advance and cooling temp I have no idea. Will they help with that I want performance but I do not want to tear the truck upand have no warranty and still have to pay on it. not trying to be smart but I do not want a learning expierence for making the wrong choices. Again thanks for the help.

HLB
P.S. I have a pro flow cat back system with a series 63 K&N FIPK kit I get about 14 to 15 mpg for all around driving
Old Thu, October 29th, 2009, 09:49 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

The Gryphon comes "preloaded" with three "canned" tunes. Level 1 improves your transmission's shift properties. Level 2 does the same for the transmission and makes further adjustments in the engine to improve towing performance. Level 3 is a performance tune if you use 91+ octane gas.

I saw an improvement in gas mileage just by running the Canned Level 2 tune. You don't really have to know anything to use a Gryphon and installation is dead easy, needing no tools. You can modify the characteristics of any tune by using the "Custom Options" menu that is built into the Gryphon. There's no way to adjust cooling, and I'd leave the spark advance alone unless you are using higher octane fuel than what is specified for the tune you are using.

About the only way you might tear the truck up would be to set your rev limit too high (like around 6000). If you keep it at or below 5400, you would be fine. Likewise, don't be too aggressive on changing the "shift firmness", the tune has already done that for you.

There's a Q&A about the Custom Options here, that may help to answer some of your questions: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...ead.php?t=1101

Bill can write you three custom tunes to replace the canned tunes, but you don't really need three if you don't want them. I have an 87 octane "highway" tune and an 87 octane towing tune. That's all I have and all I use.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, October 31st, 2009, 03:18 AM
Whopper

Perfect that is the answers that I was looking for thank you very much for taking the time to explain that would you suggest an 87 perforamcne tune and a tow tune. If I read your post right you had good luck with the level two canned tune which is a tow tune. Would it be better to go with what you did or have two custom tunes like I mentioned above. Each tune is how many $ and do you think it is worth the money in the rewards you reap. I also have the k&N FIPK kit 63series and a flow pro cat back which I have been told is simular to the gibson line

Thaks again you have been a big help

HLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
The Gryphon comes "preloaded" with three "canned" tunes. Level 1 improves your transmission's shift properties. Level 2 does the same for the transmission and makes further adjustments in the engine to improve towing performance. Level 3 is a performance tune if you use 91+ octane gas.

I saw an improvement in gas mileage just by running the Canned Level 2 tune. You don't really have to know anything to use a Gryphon and installation is dead easy, needing no tools. You can modify the characteristics of any tune by using the "Custom Options" menu that is built into the Gryphon. There's no way to adjust cooling, and I'd leave the spark advance alone unless you are using higher octane fuel than what is specified for the tune you are using.

About the only way you might tear the truck up would be to set your rev limit too high (like around 6000). If you keep it at or below 5400, you would be fine. Likewise, don't be too aggressive on changing the "shift firmness", the tune has already done that for you.

There's a Q&A about the Custom Options here, that may help to answer some of your questions: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...ead.php?t=1101

Bill can write you three custom tunes to replace the canned tunes, but you don't really need three if you don't want them. I have an 87 octane "highway" tune and an 87 octane towing tune. That's all I have and all I use.

- Jack
Old Sat, October 31st, 2009, 03:33 AM
Whopper

Taks Jack for all th info and the other page of info as well

Mark

HLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post

- Jack
Old Sat, October 31st, 2009, 09:50 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlbbig69 View Post
Perfect that is the answers that I was looking for thank you very much for taking the time to explain that would you suggest an 87 perforamcne tune and a tow tune. If I read your post right you had good luck with the level two canned tune which is a tow tune. Would it be better to go with what you did or have two custom tunes like I mentioned above. Each tune is how many $ and do you think it is worth the money in the rewards you reap. I also have the k&N FIPK kit 63series and a flow pro cat back which I have been told is simular to the gibson line

Thaks again you have been a big help

HLB
Glad to help. Since you have an intake, you need custom tunes to take full advantage of it. The cat back exhaust adds no real requirements though. So, it just depends on your driving needs. If you are towing, you DO want a custom tow tune. And, when you're not towing, you need a tune for the kind of driving you do then - is it mostly city, city-highway or mostly highway? These are the things you tell Bill. And are you likely to alternate between high octane (91+) gas and regular (87)? If so, you want tunes for each fuel. Using the two fuels could drive your needs to four tunes, but you can only get three, sorry!

It sounds like you don't use 91 octane gas though, so you need only the two tunes I first suggested. So, where do you put them? I put my 87 highway tune in the Level 1 position and my tow tune at Level 2. This left the Level 3 "canned" tune in place and I've NEVER used it.

Tunes are currently $30 each when you buy the Gryphon from PHP for $399. And yes, it comes with 3 "canned" tunes you can use until your custom tunes are written. My gas mileage increased with the level 2 canned tune and it increased a bit more with the custom tunes.

- Jack