Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Mon, September 20th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Whopper

bigterp is on a distinguished road

I appreciate all the helpfull info.!!

Tonto87, I plan to do the e-fans and then eventually take care of the pulleys, as these seems to be the most logical progression. The more and more I check out FF Dynamics efan kit, the more I like them. They come with dual fans that have a 6000 Total CFM Rating, which should be plenty for my daily driving and occasional towing. They also come with color coded wiring, which HOPEFULLY will make the wiring process easier. I HATE DEALING WITH ELECTRICTY. I'll be sure to give you all a heads up on the FF Dynamics kit once I get them ordered and installed. Thanks again!!!!
Custom Emblem Overlays - Patriot Decals (TERPS) - Krylon Fusion on Tailgate/Door Handles & Stock Fender Flares - 12" Shorty Antenna - Gotts/DVM Mod - DIY Black Headlights - Nightshaded Taillights/3rd Brake Light - XM Radio - SI/DO Magnaflow ExhaustGryphon CS W/ 87, 93 Performance & 87 Tow
Old Mon, September 20th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Whopper

Actually the progression will be as follows:

Magnaflow SI/DO same side exit performance exhaust (Ordering this week)
Gryphon W/ custom 87 tow, 87 performance and 93 performance tunes (Hopefully by the end of the month)
FF Dynamics E-Fan conversion kit (Sooner than later)
Overdrive Pully Kit. Not sure from where yet (Hopefully my wife lets me live long enough to get to order this kit!!!)
Custom Emblem Overlays - Patriot Decals (TERPS) - Krylon Fusion on Tailgate/Door Handles & Stock Fender Flares - 12" Shorty Antenna - Gotts/DVM Mod - DIY Black Headlights - Nightshaded Taillights/3rd Brake Light - XM Radio - SI/DO Magnaflow ExhaustGryphon CS W/ 87, 93 Performance & 87 Tow
Old Mon, September 20th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Double Whopper

jmwilso2 is on a distinguished road

I had the same issue with mine. It was running way too cool. I have since adjusted it up by sitting parked and reving the engine up a bit and then setting the fan to kick in at 210 F but the coolant temp reading on my gryphon still seldom goes over 195 just from ram air flowing through the rad. I'm thinking I should maybe put in a different thermostat valve to get the temp up into the 200s.
Old Tue, September 21st, 2010, 07:40 AM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilso2 View Post
I had the same issue with mine. It was running way too cool. I have since adjusted it up by sitting parked and reving the engine up a bit and then setting the fan to kick in at 210 F but the coolant temp reading on my gryphon still seldom goes over 195 just from ram air flowing through the rad. I'm thinking I should maybe put in a different thermostat valve to get the temp up into the 200s.
That sounds like the best way to accomplish your goal. I may be way off here, but when researching the crap out of efans I though I read that the stock thermostat (on the 5.4L Tritons) is at like 190 degrees. If that is the case I would think that Ford found this to be the best operating temperature for our 5.4's and is probably best left that way. Is it benefical and/or safe to try and increase the operating temps of our trucks?? Again, I may be totally wrong here so please don't shoot me!!!!
Old Tue, September 21st, 2010, 07:46 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Not all trucks have the fans click on at 190. Most people see 195 but I know that Jack's truck runs at 205 regularly. Slightly warmer temperatures will help combustion efficiency but oil starts breaking down around 250. I would not try increasing the temperature above 210.
Old Tue, September 21st, 2010, 09:11 AM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
Not all trucks have the fans click on at 190. Most people see 195 but I know that Jack's truck runs at 205 regularly. Slightly warmer temperatures will help combustion efficiency but oil starts breaking down around 250. I would not try increasing the temperature above 210.
I was referring to the water thermostat, not the fan. But I get what your saying. What would you guys say is the "optimal" running temp????
Old Wed, September 22nd, 2010, 01:59 AM
Bacon King

cajunboy2208 is on a distinguished road

Mine has never went above 200.
It normally runs between 194-196 no matter how much I run it...
Old Wed, September 22nd, 2010, 08:23 AM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunboy2208 View Post
Mine has never went above 200.
It normally runs between 194-196 no matter how much I run it...
Is that with e-fans?? What other mods do you have??
Old Wed, September 22nd, 2010, 01:54 PM
Bacon King

cajunboy2208 is on a distinguished road

That is with the factory fans.
I have K&N CAI, Borla exhaust, and custom tuned Gryphon.
Old Sat, September 25th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Double Whopper

jmwilso2 is on a distinguished road

I cant seem to find a replacement thermostat that goes higher than the factory one, lots of options for cooler ones though. It is starting to get cooler up here in the great white north so maybe a winter front is the answer not a different thermostat. But it would be a pain to have to install and remove it every year. Does anyone know how to modify a thermostat to run hotter. I've read a few ways to make them open at a cooler temp but it seems like no one else is interested in increasing coolant temp. As for the wiring on the Flexalite fan the only problem I encountered was attaching the wire to the a/c control circuit. It was simple in theory but in such an awkward spot it was almost impossible to get my hands in a position to make the connection. If the FF Dynamics fan that bigterp is considering has a feature where it activates when the a/c compressor is engaged the same issue is likely. Other than that the only other issue I had with the install was moving that bake controller but that was pretty easy. Maybe the FF Dynamics will be a different shape and avoid that problem though.