Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sun, January 23rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Lonestar Legend

LonestarROB is on a distinguished road
Default "Best" CAI to tune for?

Hey all . Been a while. And been a while since I've done any kind of performance upgrades to my truck. And really wanting more/better performance. Just not happy with Gotts and PHP custom tune.

As some of you may recall, I originally had an S&B CAI with custom tunes. Was good but gave me problems under heavy acceleration. So Bill said S&B is one of the worst and talked me into the Gotts mod with custom tunes. Haven't been satisfied( after many tune tweaks ) since.

Bill had posted(may have been email) about the S&B and how it was bad. And mentioned others that were better/easier to tune for.

Long story short, I'm thinking about going back to a CAI system(looking at the aFe right now). Possibly doing other mods. efan, throttle body spacer, etc.. Anything "small" that will improve performance. And of coarse new tunes.

Hopefully Bill will chime in here, but what are the "best" CAI's?

Rob
Old Sun, January 23rd, 2011, 07:13 PM
Come Get Some

hampsterzone is on a distinguished road

FYI, I have the AFE intake (CAI). I love it and also have the Silver Bullet throttle body spacer. Although I have heard the spacers don't do much. Efans from FF Dynamics are awesome! You can get the extreme kit for $325 w/ free shipping. Much cheaper than others on the market. As for other cheap mods, not sure what you consider cheap. Exhaust? Premium fuel? Good luck and if you have any other questions, just ask.

2012 FX4 Waldoch M80 Edition Supercrew, 3.5L Ecoboost, Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Road Armor Grill Guard, huge smile!
Old Sun, January 23rd, 2011, 09:23 PM
Lonestar Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampsterzone View Post
As for other cheap mods, not sure what you consider cheap. Exhaust? Premium fuel?
Yeah, I already have a SI/DO magnaflow. So you like the aFe? Have any issues with the custom tunes?
Old Sun, January 23rd, 2011, 10:35 PM
Come Get Some

Have not got my Graphon back yet. But as far as "The Mad Doctor" said, should not be an issue.

2012 FX4 Waldoch M80 Edition Supercrew, 3.5L Ecoboost, Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Road Armor Grill Guard, huge smile!
Old Mon, January 24th, 2011, 09:01 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Have not got my Graphon back yet. But as far as "The Mad Doctor" said, should not be an issue.
It's Gryphon

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, January 24th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Come Get Some

Gryphon. My spell check messed it up. LOL

Old Tue, January 25th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Lonestar Legend

Any other opinions? Not in a hurry but could one of the mods point Bill to this thread? I'd like to hear his opinion.
Old Tue, January 25th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Come Get Some

What would you like to know? I have "some" experience working on modifications and have gained a lot of knowledge from others on the forum. I noticed you do not have anything under your signature giving viewers details of mods you have made to your truck or what year and motor size you have. That would prove to be helpful. And I am quite sure if you wait long enough one of the other more experience moderators on this forum will help you out. As for me, I am much like you. LEARNING.....

Old Tue, January 25th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Any other time, I'd defer to the Mad Doctor himself. This time, however, I know exactly what he would say:

If you have a programmer, we don't recommend a CAI unless you do a lot of heavy towing and need to monitor cylinder head temps. The gains you get with a CAI are superseded by the programmer and aren't cumulative.

Many of our customers, in fact, have contacted us recently to rewrite their tunes because they have removed their CAIs.

Underdrive pulleys are usually the only other thing that Bill recommends. You could do e-fans, but he says they're not all that terrific. (His exact words.)

Hope this helps!

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Wed, January 26th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Lonestar Legend

Quote:
What would you like to know?
Just more opinions and/or options I could do that would open up more power. I'll update my sig now with what I have going on now.