Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sat, January 29th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Bacon King

DarkShadowSTX is on a distinguished road
Default p061b again

Hey guys. I just started up my truck a few minutes ago and then went to pull out of my parking spot when the damn p061b code popped up again and the truck goes into limp mode. I was in the trans only mode on my Gryphon. I used to get this code about a year ago when I had my CAI and Edge. Now all I have is the Gotts mod and my returned to canned tunes Gryphon. I took off my K&N CAI because the drone was driving me crazy and did the Gotts mod, I see more results out of the Gotts than I did with the K&N and custom tunes. Anyway, why would this code pop up, twice now since I cleared the code and tried driving again, with just the Gotts mod? I'm lost. My custom tunes had fixed this problem with the K&N and I'm now waiting on another custom tune to work with the Gotts. BTW, I had been in tow tune for a week with the Gotts and didn't get this code. I put it in trans only yesterday morning and it was also fine until now. What gives?
Old Sun, January 30th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Come Get Some

hampsterzone is on a distinguished road

I am just as confused! I have heard of others getting that code but usually they get other more descriptive codes to go with it. I feel your pain and worry. I can't really give much more than moral support. But if you get any more information perhaps we can put our heads together and figure it out.

2012 FX4 Waldoch M80 Edition Supercrew, 3.5L Ecoboost, Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Road Armor Grill Guard, huge smile!
Old Mon, January 31st, 2011, 10:21 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

The only thing I find on this is for 2005 trucks (and I've never had this problem). It's caused by a cold start followed by a rapid gear engagement and there's a TSB calling for a PCM reflash to correct it. Since you have a later model truck, I can't see this applying.

But, WHY did you switch to a Level 1 tune if the Level 2 tune was working properly? Unless you "customized" it, the Level 1 tune effects only your transmission. If you customize it, all bets are off. Personally, I'd switch back to the Level 2 tune and be happy.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, January 31st, 2011, 10:26 AM
Bacon King

Why? Because I just did the Gotts mod and was going to experiment on how my gas mileage could get even better. I know level 1 is just the trans and I did not customize it. It was a cold start and rapid engagement so I guess that makes sense.
Old Mon, January 31st, 2011, 11:32 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowSTX View Post
Why? Because I just did the Gotts mod and was going to experiment on how my gas mileage could get even better. I know level 1 is just the trans and I did not customize it. It was a cold start and rapid engagement so I guess that makes sense.
Please don't hear me accusing you - upon reflection, it probably sounded that way. Sorry!

I've never run the Level 1 canned tune at all. I used the Level 2 tune exclusively until I got my custom tunes. When I added the Gotts mod to my custom non-tow tune, I found I was getting about the same gas mileage at 70mph as I was before at 55-60 before the mod. So, for reasons not clear to me at all, the Gotts mod seems to have improved my gas mileage.

One thing I DID do to Bill's custom tune was to reduce the part throttle upshift and downshift points and, the torque converter lockup/unlock points. The goal here was to get the truck in the highest gear as soon as possible with the torque converter locked and to keep it there as long as possible under mild load. (I felt it was downshifting too quickly in mild uphill driving). I was not interested in burning rubber from a standing start and WOT performance in passing is not changed by doing this.

- Jack
Old Mon, January 31st, 2011, 04:34 PM
Bacon King

No problem Jack. I was just curious to see if I would get even better mileage by changing to the trans only tune. I'm already getting at least 1/2mpg better in stock mode and about the same in tow tune when compared to my K&N intake.
^^^What settings did you set those points to on Bill's tune? Was that for an 87 perf tune? I may have to try that once I get my tune, if you let me in on the little secret.
Old Tue, February 1st, 2011, 02:13 PM
PHP Groupie

Damn! I just wrote a reply to you that was worthy of a Pulitzer, and then accidentally deleted it. Sometimes, I hate myself. Oh well, here goes again:

There's no secret to the settings - I've posted them before (but it might be hard to find). For the part throttle upshift/downshift settings, I use -2, -3 and -5 for the 1-2, 2-1; 2-3, 3-2; and 3-4, 4-3 shift points. These are maximum reductions. I do the same thing for torque converter lock/unlock settings: -2, -3, -5 and -10 for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. The goal is to get the TC locked as soon as possible and keep it locked as long as possible.

Both shifting and TC behavior are dependent on speed and throttle position. At a more "open" throttle, the speeds where things change move higher. In general, operating at the highest possible gear with the TC locked gives the best mileage provided the "load" is not too high. So, these settings may not be best for everyone. It's best to experiment, which is a little hard since you really need to try different settings under identical speed, wind, temperature and road slope conditions. I've found the Inst MPG readout in the Gryphon to be helpful. Sometimes, 3rd gear with the TC locked is better than 4th with the TC unlocked.

I've also found that a long-term record of mileage is helpful and I adapted a downloadable spreadsheet to help with this. It shows me my average fuel economy while towing and not towing as well as keeping a record of my towing and non-towing miles driven. In the graph, the blue line is MPG at each fillup and the green line is cost per mile. This spreadsheet ends in October, because I forgot to enter a fillup and had to start over.

Now, I'm going to post this before I lose it again!

- Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Excel.jpg (55.4 KB, 4 views)
Old Tue, February 1st, 2011, 04:16 PM
Bacon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Damn! I just wrote a reply to you that was worthy of a Pulitzer, and then accidentally deleted it. Sometimes, I hate myself.
That's funny.

Thanks for the info Jack. I got the email last night that my tune was done. I downloaded it and programmed it in my truck this morning. No codes and it runs great. I basically just told Bill I wanted an 87 perf for mileage but still have get up and go for passing and such. So far it delivers.
One question though. You had helped me get my Gryphon back to canned tunes and now I ordered the new one. When the Gryphon started in my truck it listed all 3 as custom tunes. Are my previous 3 custom tunes that incorporated my CAI the ones it downloaded? I had requested the new tune be placed in the first slot. How can I make sure that the one I'm running now is the new tune? My truck runs fine and no issues so I would think it is correct because I would expect some sort of problem if it were the CAI tune. My 87 custom perf tune was also in the first slot before so that's why I'm confused. Any ideas?

Here's how it looks:
87 custom perf tune
87 custom tow tune
93 custom perf tune
Old Tue, February 1st, 2011, 09:20 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

From what I understand when Bill puts new tunes on the server, the old ones are replaced with the new ones unless you specifically ask to have a lot of tunes there.
Old Wed, February 2nd, 2011, 09:20 AM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowSTX View Post
That's funny.

Thanks for the info Jack. I got the email last night that my tune was done. I downloaded it and programmed it in my truck this morning. No codes and it runs great. I basically just told Bill I wanted an 87 perf for mileage but still have get up and go for passing and such. So far it delivers.
One question though. You had helped me get my Gryphon back to canned tunes and now I ordered the new one. When the Gryphon started in my truck it listed all 3 as custom tunes. Are my previous 3 custom tunes that incorporated my CAI the ones it downloaded? I had requested the new tune be placed in the first slot. How can I make sure that the one I'm running now is the new tune? My truck runs fine and no issues so I would think it is correct because I would expect some sort of problem if it were the CAI tune. My 87 custom perf tune was also in the first slot before so that's why I'm confused. Any ideas?

Here's how it looks:
87 custom perf tune
87 custom tow tune
93 custom perf tune
What ticopowell said is correct. It SOUNDS like you requested a single new tune to be placed in the Level 1 position that would not be written for the CAI? If this is the case, I would expect Bill to create a file with your former Level 2 and 3 tunes unaltered and the new tune in Level 1.

Since you don't have the CAI on now, this is probably not what you want. Which means, you'll probably have to ask Bill to change the file so that the Level 2 and 3 tunes are "canned". But - it's possible he has changed the Level 2 and 3 tunes to your new Gotts configuration too (I can't read his mind). So, I think you really need to ask him what he did here.

However, if you run the Level 1 tune, it should be correct.

- Jack