Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sat, April 30th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Whopper

Medic150 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I believe the transmission problems you may be talking about are with the Edge Juice programmer, which is designed for diesels. There are no transmission problems associated with the Evolution models or, with any of Bill's tunes.
- Jack
Ohh I see.. thanks for clearing that up.

So I could disconnect the unit from the car, DL the new software/tune into it and go back to the truck and just plug it in.. Will I have to reinstall it , or will it recognize the gryphon..
Should the truck be returasks ned to stock everytime im going to unplug the gryphon ?

what about if I need to disconnect the battery for whatever reason.. Also I notice that the instruction manual neverbut ask to disconnect the battery. usually this is the case to reset everything , I guess not.
Old Sat, April 30th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

You can unplug the gryphon at any time, as long as the truck is off. To add or change the tunes that are located on the gryphon you should return the truck to stock before unplugging it. It will recognize the gryphon and you will just need to load the new tunes just like you did the first tunes. The tunes are loaded with the truck's internal memory so unplugging the battery will not affect them. Jump starting the truck is ok to do as well as long as the gryphon is unplugged when you do it. Hope that helps
Old Sun, May 1st, 2011, 01:31 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Any transmission trouble you read about is a rare case, it just seems like there are a bunch because people usually only post when there is a problem. Some people also don't take as good care of their truck as they should. That will also add to the thread count.

If you need to disconnect your battery it is safe to do as long as the programmer is unplugged. This protects the programmer from getting damaged during an electrical surge.

The only time you return the truck to stock is when you are going to a dealership (and do it days in advance) or if you are plugging the programmer into the computer.
Old Mon, May 2nd, 2011, 04:54 PM
Whopper

Ive read the instructions several times and installed my gryphon today. I installed the tranny tune just to get used to the way everything works. I can immediatly feel the difference. It feels much more responsive. I only went around the block to make sure all was ok.

In the instructions, I did not find a section that shows how to return the truck to stock.. what is the proper procedure to do this ??

Thanks guys !! This forum has been really imformative. Even to my dumb newbie questions
Old Mon, May 2nd, 2011, 05:25 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic150 View Post
Ive read the instructions several times and installed my gryphon today. I installed the tranny tune just to get used to the way everything works. I can immediatly feel the difference. It feels much more responsive. I only went around the block to make sure all was ok.

In the instructions, I did not find a section that shows how to return the truck to stock.. what is the proper procedure to do this ??

Thanks guys !! This forum has been really imformative. Even to my dumb newbie questions
When you access the power programming menu again, you'll find there is now a "Return to Stock" selection. (It may have a slightly different name.) Just select it and it will return the PCM to stock. And by the way, to answer a question that's often asked, this is the ONLY way the PCM is returned to stock. Disconnecting the battery or the programmer does not "lose the tune".

- Jack
Old Mon, May 2nd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Whopper

sweet. thanks dude !!

Quote:
When you access the power programming menu again, you'll find there is now a "Return to Stock" selection. (It may have a slightly different name.) Just select it and it will return the PCM to stock. And by the way, to answer a question that's often asked, this is the ONLY way the PCM is returned to stock. Disconnecting the battery or the programmer does not "lose the tune".

- Jack
Old Mon, May 2nd, 2011, 07:34 PM
Whopper

I just went out for a test drive. I set ttruck on the tranny tune and tried a 0-60 run to see how it works.

During regular driving. The truck feels really solid and feels torquy.
But while doing the 0-60. I stepped on it hard and it started to like surge looking for a gear then it finally shifted into gear pretty hard. I pulled in to the gas station for some gas and I noticed the unit stayed on when I shut the truck off.
And my unit is stuck on the 0-60 finished test screen. I shut the truck down but the unit stays on.
Old Mon, May 2nd, 2011, 08:01 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic150 View Post
I just went out for a test drive. I set ttruck on the tranny tune and tried a 0-60 run to see how it works.

During regular driving. The truck feels really solid and feels torquy.
But while doing the 0-60. I stepped on it hard and it started to like surge looking for a gear then it finally shifted into gear pretty hard. I pulled in to the gas station for some gas and I noticed the unit stayed on when I shut the truck off.
And my unit is stuck on the 0-60 finished test screen. I shut the truck down but the unit stays on.
When the Gryphon screen stays lit after shutdown, it's generally a sign of a failing battery. Please disconnect your Gryphon from the OBDII port (the lit screen will rapidly deplete a weak battery) and have your battery load tested.

When you reconnect, make sure the ignition is ON, before you plug the Gryphon in so that it can boot properly.

- Jack
Old Mon, May 2nd, 2011, 10:50 PM
Whopper

I have a brand new battery, I highly doubt that was the issue.. I tried shutting the truck down several times. and it was staying on.. Not knowing what to do, I decided to unplug the gryphon at the unit.
Once it shut down, I put the key to the ON position and plugged it back in. It gave me the hex key and then went straight to the Main menu.

All seems fine now but I havnt drven it again.

What do you think about the surging and hard shifting ?? Is the tranny tune not designed to be pushed hard ??

Quote:
When the Gryphon screen stays lit after shutdown, it's generally a sign of a failing battery. Please disconnect your Gryphon from the OBDII port (the lit screen will rapidly deplete a weak battery) and have your battery load tested.

When you reconnect, make sure the ignition is ON, before you plug the Gryphon in so that it can boot properly.

- Jack
Old Tue, May 3rd, 2011, 10:44 AM
PHP Groupie

I suspect what you felt as surging was the engine hitting the rev limiter between the 2-3 upshift. In a Wide Open Throttle (WOT) shift situation, the shift is commanded at a specific RPM, which you can set in the Custom Options Menu. I would not set this shift point above 5100. (Actually, I like 4975, since the torque and horsepower are generally dropping above 5000.)

Now, as the shift is commanded, the transmission clutch is applied, allowing the engine to freewheel for a short period (until the clutch is released and the shift completes). The freewheeling engine RPM rapidly increases and if it hits the rev limit, spark and fuel is cut to prevent damage. The RPM drops and then the whole cycle repeats until you come off the gas a bit.

If you make sure the rev limit is at least 400 above the highest WOT shift point, this problem will generally not happen. I have my rev limit set at 5500 in the Custom Options Menu. Don't go much above this point either, because the Torque Converter (TC) starts to balloon above 5400 RPM.

By the way, don't set the 3-4 upshift too high. It's actually hard to get a genuine WOT 3-4 upshift unless you're on a racetrack. My shifts are around 4975, 4975, and 4400.