Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Member in Sin

SinCityFX4 is on a distinguished road
Default Towing CAI Question

So, I have a guy on one of my other sites and he has a question about towing and cannot seem to get any help....
Here is his question...

"hello, i am new to this site, i recently purchaed a 2006 f150 king ranch 4x4. it has the k&n cold air kit, i pull a boat and cannot stand the noise it makes when under power. my first question is, does somebody make one that doesent sound like it's going to suck the hood in?? i will trade for a factory set up. i am located in central fl."

Any of you guys have some insight I can share with him???

Thanks!

Sin
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 10:39 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

He's probably complaining about the "drone" that some CAIs make. Bill can get rid of that drone with a custom tune, or, he can just return the intake to the stock one as he's indicated by trading for it. Personally, I'd get a Gryphon and a custom tune.

There's a chance too, that he could be running lean with the intake, but this may not be an issue on his model year truck. Again, a custom tune would eliminate that possibility.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 11:35 AM
PHP Cheerleading Section

OneTomcat is on a distinguished road

I would have to agree with Jack..... my custom tunes with the Gryphon have eliminated the K&N drone with perhaps the exception of under WOT. But when that occurs things happen so fast ya won't notice any drone

'05 F150 FX4 SCAB
K&N FIPK
Magellan Navigation System
Full Boar Performance SIDO exhaust
Gryphon PHP Programmer w/ custom tunes
4UCam wireless backup cam
Old Tue, March 10th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Member in Sin

SinCityFX4 is on a distinguished road

I figured...I will tell him he should hit up PHP..

Thanx guys..I don't tow...so that one was certainly away from me. Knew about the drone but that was it.
Old Tue, March 10th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Not a Whopper

kd4crs is on a distinguished road

All the CAIs I tried made that horrible drone while towing our travel trailer. It was so loud you could not talk in the cab without yelling. That is what led me to develop the DWV intake mod. Check this out: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...l#faq_snorkel1 You get a little power bump from it and it keeps the factory noise dampers which makes it tolerable while towing.

Last edited by kd4crs; Tue, March 10th, 2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old Tue, March 10th, 2009, 09:49 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Either the gryphon with custom tunes.

Or return back to stock and AEM dryflow drop in filter with the gotts/dwv mod.

Personally, the both of them. Just get rid of cai. The only reason I say this if the k+n ever gets over oiled after cleaning, it might lead to the maf sensor getting screwed up. That goes for any oiled filter.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, April 1st, 2010, 11:09 PM
Whopper

Keeblerz28 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
The only reason I say this if the k+n ever gets over oiled after cleaning, it might lead to the maf sensor getting screwed up. That goes for any oiled filter.

Lars

I don't know if that is a true statement:
K&N Response to Mass Air Flow Sensor Concerns
That page has some video links describing some in house K&N testing regarding exactly this. They couldnt break a MAF even after submerging it in oil.
Old Thu, April 1st, 2010, 11:22 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeblerz28 View Post

I don't know if that is a true statement:
K&N Response to Mass Air Flow Sensor Concerns
That page has some video links describing some in house K&N testing regarding exactly this. They couldnt break a MAF even after submerging it in oil.
It is not that the oil breaks the sensor, the problem is the oil is said to coat the sensor and mess up the readings.
Old Thu, April 1st, 2010, 11:29 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

That's an interesting link, Keebler. What I like about it is it seems pretty "calm", clear, to the point and was written by someone who knows how to write (at least the couple pages I've read so far). It makes me want to believe them.

Another thing I acknowledge is that "Bluejay", another Mod on f150online has been using a K&N drop in for years with no problems whatsoever. I suspect they DO have a product that works, although I can't really decide if it works any better than the OEM filters.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, April 1st, 2010, 11:35 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I have a K&N drop in filter and I did notice a slight improvement after installing it. I'm sure that gain is from having a little bit less filtration. I dont really care about what advertisers say about that because I can look through my filter and make out objects. It is however still filtering quite well and greasy spots on the inside of the intake are dark but still pretty clean.