Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Tue, July 19th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Whopper

gusto is on a distinguished road
Help JBA headers

I purchased JBA shorty headers from unlimited performance in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. When i was paying for them they told me I had to run ACCEL silver tip spark plugs because they are a cold plug and to have a one year warranty. They said other plugs like NGK burn hotter and burn the headers? has anyone heard of this or is it ********. i was going to put a new set of champions in it but they are insisting accels. My header are in now just waiting on the plugs now.
Old Tue, July 19th, 2011, 11:09 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I'd have to say that is the first time I've ever heard of that, and frankly I'm calling on that one.

Spark plugs come in a number of heat ranges, regardless of manufacturer; NGK, Champion, AC, Motorcraft, Bosch, and Denso all have temperature options. As for your truck, I'd stick with the Motorcraft plugs and just go one range colder if you have any concerns. I've never had any luck with foreign plugs in Fords (ESPECIALLY Bosch) and the only thing I ever found that ran well on Champions were Chryslers and lawnmowers. However, that choice is entirely up to you.

Now, the one thing Unlimited Performance didn't tell you is that the reason headers get damaged is from the engine running leaner after the headers are installed. It has nothing to do with the spark plugs. Lean engines run hotter... Rich engines run cooler. The heat range of the spark plug determines its ability to resist fouling from deposits, not how hot it makes the combustion process. If they're handing you that garbage, then I'd seriously look elsewhere for performance products because they don't seem to know very much about how an engine works.

Prime example... If you've ever looked at a Harley, you'll notice that the stainless exhaust pipes will turn blue just off the heads. This is caused by the exhaust heat and is pretty normal with the blue coloration extending down about an inch or two. Now, on an engine that was tuned pretty lean, the stainless exhaust pipes turn a really dark blue (almost black) and the coloration extends several inches. These same lean bikes also tend to backfire on deceleration.

I hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Bacon King

cajunboy2208 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusto View Post
I purchased JBA shorty headers from unlimited performance in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. When i was paying for them they told me I had to run ACCEL silver tip spark plugs because they are a cold plug and to have a one year warranty. They said other plugs like NGK burn hotter and burn the headers? has anyone heard of this or is it ********. i was going to put a new set of champions in it but they are insisting accels. My header are in now just waiting on the plugs now.
Yea, they are feeding you some BS there. And please, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD... DO NOT!!! put Champions in these trucks!

You will want to get the updated Motorcraft sparkplugs... SP515

And if you already didn't know, do not ever use a fram oil filter either...
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Whopper

thank you for helping me understand how headers work. I will go get some motorcrafts today. I like talking to people in it for the power and not just the cash. Thanks again
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 09:49 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunboy2208 View Post
Yea, they are feeding you some BS there. And please, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD... DO NOT!!! put Champions in these trucks!

You will want to get the updated Motorcraft sparkplugs... SP515

And if you already didn't know, do not ever use a fram oil filter either...
X2!......or sp507 will work also and also to the OP.....Don't get performance cops either...the only thing they modifiy is headaches from misfires.....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Whopper

I returned the accel plugs today, and again they insisted that i will burn out the headers if i don't use colder plugs. they wanted to show me burnt headers. i told them that's from running too lean with cai and programmers with no custom tunes. edge say it right in the instruction manual. they said the factory computer will adjust for running lean. They have me a little nervous but not too much since i returned the plugs for a full refund.
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 08:47 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusto View Post
I returned the accel plugs today, and again they insisted that i will burn out the headers if i don't use colder plugs. they wanted to show me burnt headers. i told them that's from running too lean with cai and programmers with no custom tunes. edge say it right in the instruction manual. they said the factory computer will adjust for running lean. They have me a little nervous but not too much since i returned the plugs for a full refund.
I wouldn't be nervous.....you did the right thing.....

Im wondering if they're getting confused when using them with a supercharger????? That's when the colder plug is needed.....

Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Whopper

Thanks, It all makes sense to me when bill explained it. My truck runs very strong and i think unlimited are just trying to push products without the right knowledge.
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 09:45 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
I'd have to say that is the first time I've ever heard of that, and frankly I'm calling on that one.

Spark plugs come in a number of heat ranges, regardless of manufacturer; NGK, Champion, AC, Motorcraft, Bosch, and Denso all have temperature options. As for your truck, I'd stick with the Motorcraft plugs and just go one range colder if you have any concerns. I've never had any luck with foreign plugs in Fords (ESPECIALLY Bosch) and the only thing I ever found that ran well on Champions were Chryslers and lawnmowers. However, that choice is entirely up to you.

Now, the one thing Unlimited Performance didn't tell you is that the reason headers get damaged is from the engine running leaner after the headers are installed. It has nothing to do with the spark plugs. Lean engines run hotter... Rich engines run cooler. The heat range of the spark plug determines its ability to resist fouling from deposits, not how hot it makes the combustion process. If they're handing you that garbage, then I'd seriously look elsewhere for performance products because they don't seem to know very much about how an engine works.

Prime example... If you've ever looked at a Harley, you'll notice that the stainless exhaust pipes will turn blue just off the heads. This is caused by the exhaust heat and is pretty normal with the blue coloration extending down about an inch or two. Now, on an engine that was tuned pretty lean, the stainless exhaust pipes turn a really dark blue (almost black) and the coloration extends several inches. These same lean bikes also tend to backfire on deceleration.

I hope this helps.
Mine hasn't.....

Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Whopper

yours too. But my plugs are SP509s I looked it up on the ford site with my vin. I have the brown boots. thanks. oh what is up with fram filters, I have used them all my life. I have a stock pile of motocraft filters for my truck but normally i would use fram.